:bounce: Asking for advice for a GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaveng

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
So to start off I'll list my build so far.

-CPU : Phenom X4 (Black Edition)

-Mobo: ASUS M3A87-EM - (Supports AM2+, and only has one PCI Express x16 slot)

-Ram: 4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR2 1066

-Case: NZXT Whisper

-PSU: OCZ 700W

So here's what I need advice on:

_1) I wanted to know what type of GPU I should get, my motherboard says that it supports Hybrid Crossfire. Should I go with AMD cause of this or go for Nvidia.

_2) The Cards I have looked into are mainly MSI cards but I'm open to suggestions, so far I've found these that I like:

+R5770 Hawk

+R6770 Twin Frozr II /OC

+R6870 Hawk

+R6870 Twin Frozr II/OC

+N460GTX Hawk

+N560GTX-Ti Hawk

_3) My budget is from $150 - 280

_4) Also I was wondering if I upgraded my CPU to a AM3 chip would I be bottlenecking my system.

I want to be able to run most of the newer games, especially SC2, as well as I already do a lot of encoding and I know that most of the software supports Cudo. Again any suggestions on any of these items would be helpful.

Solution

Is it a phenom II, otherwise there will be a bottleneck i suppose, but i'm no expert on that. The 6950 2GB will be a lot better. they're on newegg for about 279. ( even the 6950 1GB should be better ) Otherwise go for the 560TI OC or the 6870 OC. ( technically the 560 should be better. ) If you want to crossfire later on you should go with the 6870 or ( better ) the 6950.

Solution
Oops, i just now saw that you only have one pci e slot. I dont think you can crossfire then. Is it a pci e 1 or 2 slot, most new cards want a pci e2 to work optimal. All the cards listed here above are pci e 2 cards. If it's a pci e 2 slot then the 6950 2 GB will be the better card, due to the 2GB more ready for future demands.

Gaveng

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks for the reply but, I can't crossfire right now unless i do a Hybrid Crossfire with the motherboard which I know nothing about. Yeah the processor I would be moving up to would be a Phenom II. I don't want to switch to Intel unless I really have to; Also what makes the 560 better then the 6870, I thought it would be oposite since my motherboard has a Radeon chipset already onto it. Or does that not matter?

Well, i said it should be better, it has better benchmarkresults, but saying that ; i don't really like the 560 ( i have one )
I'm not sure about combinations of chipsets will have an effect on the cards ( i'm also no expert on that ) ( only reason i react to this thread is beacause nobody else does and i know how frustrating that is and alltough i know about GPU's, for the rest i'm a bit of a noob ) but when you want to be sure just get the AMD then, like i said the 6950 2GB or 1GB ( i would go for 2GB ) will be a good choice for now and in the future. ( and otherwise the 6870, it's performing just a little bit less then the 560. Anyway, you don't want the 460 or the 6770, too old.)
You can check for yourselff on ; http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1980/18/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-review-gtx-560-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6950-1gb, it's in dutch but the numbers speak for themself.

Gaveng

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Yes I really appreciate you responding to this. OK I think I'm going to go with either the 6950 or 6870. Also do you have any other advice for maker of the cards, is MSI a good company?

MSI is ok. Sapphire, Asus, HIS, EVGA also i believe. MSI pends to be the more expansive one because of the"Military Class"components wich promise you a longer life span. ( on the other hand ; i had a MSI GTX 465 and it died after one year, so it's no guarantee )
I really advice the 6950 2 GB, you will be better future proof with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS