Need help desiding on a power supply

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello, I may be building a new PC for my friend who will be doing gaming but only things like minecraft and garrys mod and older games, he currently uses a laptop with vista and an athlon 64. One of the builds i was thinking of is one made for future upgrades, using a AMD A4-3400 65W, with integrated gpu, (radeon 6410D i think) and then what i need it enoguh power to allow for an eventual upgrade to an A8 quad core Llano and an added radeon 6570 to use in dual mode with it when he either has the money or has the need. what should i get for a wattage power supply? i have never really done much research on the specific usage rates for types of computers so i figured i might as well get second opinions.

heres what i found: a 600W corsair http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
or a 500W OCZ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016
i wanted modular becaus ehe has a case that i will be modding with mounts, fans, and maybe even a plexy window if teh budget calls for it and he wants one so i wanted good airflow and good appearance. but my main consern is which power supply should i use? im not sure whether OCZ oir corsair is higher quality and both are around the same price with rebates and different shipping costs. also i might incluse at least one led cae fan sinc ethey are like 12 bucks for a coolermaster one. i just want to make sure when he needs an upgrade that he doesnt have to replace the power supply as well.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Corsair is my favorite brand of PSU...
Having said that, about 2 months ago I had a Corsair Builders Series CX 430 crap out on me in under 6 months... Then someone I know also bought a CX 430 on my recommendation and it also died a few weeks ago.

I'll call my PSU failure a fluke because it was the first time a corsair branded PSU has died on me. But a second PSU failure makes me nervous about the Corsair CX 430.

Although the build quality of the Corsair Builders Series received high marks from jonnyguru I suspect it is not quite up to par with other Corsair PSUs.

The OCZ should work well.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
ill probably look for a 420-450W OCZ then i suppose, that a good idea? with the parts i have to far im like 25$ under the 400$ limit and that doesnt include shipping so saving money that would otherwise be unneeded would be very helpful. also imma get him to borrow like 20$ from me so i can include new fans and case mods for his older case he has for it. (im not sure what it is really since he forgot to email me pics and budget info but ill get back to that in a later post)

OZC doesn't make units in that power range for the North American market.
The Corsair units are fine,you won't have an issue powering those specs with a CX430V2.
This unit allows more flexibility if a more powerful gpu is required in the future.
OCZ ZS Series 550W
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62391&vpn=OCZ%2DZS550W&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1365
If budget is a concern go with the CX430V2.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
budget is a consern, but remmber he might eventually get an A8 APU and another radeon 6550/6570 if he needs it and i want it to have enough power for it. the initial build will have an a4 dual core APU and the onboard 6410.

What's max budget for psu?

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
it depends on where else i skimp, total budget is about 400 for the components and i got probably 60-70 (max 70$, it will be really tight with that expencive) so between 45 and 6o would be preferable, also, the reviews on the corsair 430Ws were horrible, and a coolermaster i looked at wasnt all that much better hows this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035
raidmax is a fairly dependable brand as far as i know isnt it?and it would hav emore than enough wattage to handle basicly any upgrades

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
they are just too expencive, peopel never think about shipping, taxes, other prehiperals like thermal compound or fans an dthings that are important too, 70$ for a power supply is just a little bit over the budget but the guy doesnt have easy ways of getting spare cash, hes only like 16. that rosewill looked great but it was just over the 60$ maximum mark and the other was 80 and im not even sure about shipping and tax. i think if the reviews on the fatal1ty PSU then i will probably go with that. thank you for the input though, if i hadnt gotten your replies i wouldnt have found so many options. so thank you all.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

there is a $20 dollar promo code on the ocz zs taking the price from $80 to $60 and there is a $25 rebate with free shipping so worst case without the rebate your $60 out