Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Close to Overheating????

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:18:28 PM

Im new to the site and this is my first post so i hope its in the right place.

I just bought a new pc a few weeks ago. has the i7 2600 (sandy bridge), 16gb ram, has Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard. Friday i upgraded to a Thermaltake TR2-600w powersupply and a Geforce GTX 550Ti 1gb gddr5 video card. Got them at bestbuy. only games i play is WoW, Starwars, and plan on the new Diablo 3 when it comes out. Problem im seeing now is that when i play wow, SpeedFan shows my GPU between 60c-68c and thats on high settings and me just flying around or fighting monsters by myself. i havent seen it above 70c yet but i havent been in any dungeons yet. It shows my cores over 50c each but i havent seen them over 60c yet. i have been reading a little bit and trying to learn as i go and i seen that my Tj max is 98c, so does that mean im fine on the cores since there in the 50s??? and i read that nvidia cards are good up to 105c???? just dont wanna over heat. any help would be nice, thanks

More about : close overheating

a b à CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:31:51 PM

Sounds like you need to install an aftermarket heatsink/fan. Not an unusual situation.
A CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO would do nicely in your setup, if you don't have a slimline case.
Score
January 9, 2012 8:38:22 PM

My rig runs about the same playing skyrim. Just got a new sharkoon case so only got 3 fans in it. Need to add some more to get a better air flow.

You need to add more fans too and try and get more cool air in the front and the hot air out the back.

As above a new heatskink would be good to.

Score
Related resources
January 9, 2012 9:11:33 PM

its still in the factory case, has like one fan in back and one on the cpu. i thought about getting a better case with more fans but the comp i got has a 3yr warrenty... so im not sure what to do. i do have a box fan blowing into it tho to try and move some cool air in. best thing would be to get a new heatsink and try that out. the case is like 7.5 inchs wide i believe, so would the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO fit in my case i wonder?? and thanks for the info
Score
a c 190 à CPUs
January 9, 2012 9:25:34 PM

The Tcase (not the best measurement) for the Intel® Core™ i7-2600 is 72.6c. Really you can get up to about 85c before most boards want to shut it down and the final shut off for the Intel Core i7-2600 (called Thermtrip) is 125c.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Score
January 9, 2012 9:39:54 PM

christian, would it hurt if it ran in the 50c - 70c for a long time or would it later end up hurting?
Score

Best solution

a c 118 à CPUs
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 9, 2012 10:15:30 PM

from what you have posted your temps are very average and nothing to worry about...
if you have a stock cooler than your 2600k will probably max out at 65'c so getting a 3rd party cooler would be a good idea, as it will give a lot more headroom.
as for your gfx anything under 80 is fine for nvidia, gpus are designed to work at higher temps so as long as your at 50-79 then i wouldn't be worried. 1s you get 82-85 you know its time to clean out the dust and the temps will drop again. or if you can live with the noise turn the fans up by 10% this will knock 10-15 degrees off the max temp (use afterburner for this.(but remember to read up b4 you start adjustments))

but as i see it. your system temps are pretty much standard for stock cooling.
a c 190 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 2:04:20 PM

AS Hexit said your temperatures are not bad. Adding in a good 3rd party cooler can help hold your temperatures down.

By the standards in which you would judge the lifespan of the processor running it at 50c to 70c for a long period of time would not damage the processor.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Score
January 10, 2012 3:05:51 PM

alright thanks alot on all the info.
Score
January 18, 2012 1:52:55 AM

Best answer selected by alstewart.
Score
!