Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Overclocking?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 4, 2012 4:33:14 PM

I was wondering how much I would be able to overclock this gaming setup?
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Processor
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 - 3GB (Single card)
PSU: AZZA Dynamo 850W
Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] and Standard 120mm Fan
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK

How long do you think I have before overclocking is necessary for gaming on this setup? Also, how much do you think I can overclock with this motherboard? I don't plan on going to insane overclocking, but a moderate amount may be necessary. I know that the MB supports overclocking, and that the power phase is 4 + 1 + 1, but I'm not sure how much I can overclock to. Any help appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2012 6:10:51 PM

You're probably buying it from cyberpower/ibuypower or something right?

They don't say what their liquid cooling is (i assume it's a cheap one unless you're paying for a branded one)

but ya. you can push the cpu to 4.2-4.3 ghz easy (cheap water cooling isn't that much better than medium/high air cooling) I'm not pushing mine any further on the mobo cause i really don't need it... and don't really want to increase core voltage...

And you should probably shell out for a 7970 ghz edition...
m
l
November 4, 2012 7:05:33 PM

killerhurtalot said:
You're probably buying it from cyberpower/ibuypower or something right?

They don't say what their liquid cooling is (i assume it's a cheap one unless you're paying for a branded one)

but ya. you can push the cpu to 4.2-4.3 ghz easy (cheap water cooling isn't that much better than medium/high air cooling) I'm not pushing mine any further on the mobo cause i really don't need it... and don't really want to increase core voltage...

And you should probably shell out for a 7970 ghz edition...

Yeah, I'm buying from ibuypower, and they don't offer the 7970 ghz edition, sadly. I'm not sure what water cooling they have either, but the other ones they offered were only 5-10 dollars more so I didn't think they would be that much more effective. Do you have experience buying from them?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2012 9:00:11 PM

vance09 said:
Yeah, I'm buying from ibuypower, and they don't offer the 7970 ghz edition, sadly. I'm not sure what water cooling they have either, but the other ones they offered were only 5-10 dollars more so I didn't think they would be that much more effective. Do you have experience buying from them?

I've personally never bought from them. I had friends buy from them before. decent build quality but kind of overpriced. especially on their higher end pcs...
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:14:34 PM

killerhurtalot said:
I've personally never bought from them. I had friends buy from them before. decent build quality but kind of overpriced. especially on their higher end pcs...

Sorry, just curious, but what makes you think that the coolers are cheap? Did any of your friends have trouble? Not trying to be rude, just curious. And you don't think that the 4+1+1 is an issue in overclocking, right? Thanks a lot by the way. Really appreciate your help.
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:25:42 PM

7970 ghz edition is a waste. You won't see any higher overclocks from it while using air.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2012 10:33:31 PM

Trashy PSU...
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:41:24 PM

samuelspark said:
Trashy PSU...

What makes you say that? Its got some decent reviews on newegg.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2012 10:48:32 PM

vance09 said:
What makes you say that? Its got some decent reviews on newegg.

Only 2 year warranty, not Active PFC, and Newegg "reviews" are useless. Never buy anything based on Newegg feedback, good or bad. Not the most tech inclined people that post there. It's sad, but true.

Also, there aren't any reputable reviews out there for it, but a quick search shows people in other forums having problems with it.

In any case, iBuyPower should have a much better quality lower wattage unit for the same price. A good quality 550W unit is plenty for that system. 850W (if it wasn't trash) is way overkill.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:01:40 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Only 2 year warranty, not Active PFC, and Newegg "reviews" are useless. Never buy anything based on Newegg feedback, good or bad. Not the most tech inclined people that post there. It's sad, but true.

Also, there aren't any reputable reviews out there for it, but a quick search shows people in other forums having problems with it.

In any case, iBuyPower should have a much better quality lower wattage unit for the same price. A good quality 550W unit is plenty for that system. 850W (if it wasn't trash) is way overkill.

Actually, the only cheaper options were 600W or less, and I was hoping to perhaps add in crossfire or SLI down the road, so I needed more power. May switch out the PSU down the road if it gives me problems, its inexpensive so its definitely replaceable. And, if it does work out, I got a high power PSU for a relatively inexpensive price. The main thing I'm worried about is if the motherboard supports some decent overclocking. I've heard that it can overclock pretty well, but no specifics on just how well.
m
l

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 4, 2012 11:07:48 PM

As far as that motherboard goes, I'd say it's good for a ~4.5 OC. It'll do OK, but nothing special. It's just enough to be able to handle an overclock at all.

My P8Z68-V LE has a 4+2 power phase design as well (the first 4 phases are the CPU phases in both board's case), and 4.5 is about as far as I can push my 2500K without the voltage skyrocketing. The VRM's are just too weak to handle much more.

Of course, it'll be hard to push 4.5 on a 3570K, anyway because of the temperature issues.
November 4, 2012 11:19:03 PM

Best answer selected by vance09.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:19:45 PM

Do not buy from iBuyPower, overpriced on most of the hardware, you can easily build a better computer with the money they charge you for one of their prebuilts.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:20:58 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
As far as that motherboard goes, I'd say it's good for a ~4.5 OC. It'll do OK, but nothing special. It's just enough to be able to handle an overclock at all.

My P8Z68-V LE has a 4+2 power phase design as well (the first 4 phases are the CPU phases in both board's case), and 4.5 is about as far as I can push my 2500K without the voltage skyrocketing. The VRM's are just too weak to handle much more.

Of course, it'll be hard to push 4.5 on a 3570K, anyway because of the temperature issues.

Thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for. So a moderate overclock is fine then, as long as it doesn't go overboard. Good to know, everything else in the build I can replace, the motherboard I don't want to screw with though.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:22:41 PM

Kiowa789 said:
Do not buy from iBuyPower, overpriced on most of the hardware, you can easily build a better computer with the money they charge you for one of their prebuilts.

Yeah, I was thinking of building, but I've decided for my first build I would rather have someone else do the work. Once I find someone with in depth knowledge on building computers I'll probably do my own build in a few years.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2012 10:15:54 PM

It's not hard to build a computer. Non compatible parts won't fit. Simple as that.
m
l
February 15, 2013 9:15:04 PM

Sooooooooo...

Asus p8z77-v lk
Ivy Bridge 3770k
2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHZ = 16GB
Corsair H100i Water cooling system
UPDATED BIOS 11/12

Overclocking this beast should be a snap!!!

I've tried everything in the BIOS but nothing's worked.

I don't know what settings i need and it seems that ML doesn't show any of my configurations... it seems to stay at 3.5ghz. Any advice?
m
l
!