Sign in with
Your question

Intel 3930k shortage?

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2012 8:30:08 PM

does anyone know why there is such a small supply of intel core 3930k's?

More about : intel 3930k shortage

a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 9, 2012 9:07:16 PM

Keith, right now there are no Intel® Core™ i7-3930K at any of our distributors for North America. I have sent up a request to see if what the issue is with these processors at this time but until they get back to me with that information; that is the best that I have.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
January 10, 2012 2:22:48 AM

oh ok.. thanks. so much.. that has been plaguing me for such a long time. especially i have all my parts for my build except that. i know to order everything at once i was dong that but it was already out of stock by the time i tried too..
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2012 4:13:51 PM

@ weeks ago i bought a system with that processor from ibuypower.com just to find out today that they dont know if or when they will be getting it in. Their only answer is to saw its intel
Intel is such an honest company nobody is willing to waste a thousand bucks for their extreme processor so here they are faking a shortage of the reasonably priced one to steal your money. what honest business values
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 4:27:48 PM

Hopefully they will have samples available with in the next two or three months. These are very large and expensive cpus to manufacture so making meaningful quantities takes longer than usual. These 2011 cpus are physically monolithic 8 core but the retail desktop versions are all 4 and 6 core only leaving only the Xeon line being fully enabled however they have much lower clocks and high wattage.
m
l
January 16, 2012 9:48:34 PM

anyone know why? like hard facts from intel?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 16, 2012 10:08:08 PM

keith808 said:
anyone know why? like hard facts from intel?

Why don't you just contact Intel your self? I've done that with IBM about one of their little known products and they replied back.
m
l
January 16, 2012 10:39:42 PM

i did. was put on hold for an hour and just hung up. e mailed them and no reply..
m
l
January 17, 2012 6:52:48 AM

I did some snooping around on Friday...I am in the same boat, all my parts except the 3930k...Until I saw the new Coolermaster Cosmos II, now I am waiting on that, already ordered from Tiger Direct.

Anyway, I found out the name of one of the Distributors Intel uses and called them direct. I spoke to a gentleman in the sales department and he pluged it into to his computer while I was on the line listening. He told me that Newegg and Amazon were one of their accounts and that they should have a shipment approximately the 20th of this month. I reconfirmed this with him and he again said the 20th.

So, I hope that helps. I put my build off for over a month switching to the 3930k...I hope Newegg takes it off combo, I already have the rest of my parts. I will have to buy from Amazon or someone else otherwise.
m
l
January 17, 2012 2:51:22 PM

You can add me to the list also, have everything but the CPU. starting to get anxious, really need to take a shotgun to my current computer. Tiger Direct is saying the part is that the supplier hasn't recieved the shipment yet, hopefully stock does come in on the 20th
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2012 4:03:22 PM

Guys I just got word that this shortage is Worldwide due to high demand and that we are working as hard as we can get meet the supply demands for these processors. I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
January 17, 2012 4:34:03 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Guys I just got word that this shortage is Worldwide due to high demand and that we are working as hard as we can get meet the supply demands for these processors. I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thanks for the update glad to know its not just a few people having a problem finding the CPU. any timeframe on when new stock is due to ship out?
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2012 4:41:39 PM

Not yet, as soon as I get something I promise that I will let you know.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2012 5:41:44 PM

Ok I just got word that there could be a "trickle" hitting the Online Retailers between WW05 and WW06. Now I know this isnt the best of answers but it is the most promising of answers I have gotten on these processors for over a month. So this is going to be the companies like Newegg, Tigerdirect and Amazon. I can't pin it down any closer than that so it is going to take some work on your part to get one of these "trickle" when they come in.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
January 17, 2012 5:48:30 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Ok I just got word that there could be a "trickle" hitting the Online Retailers between WW05 and WW06. Now I know this isnt the best of answers but it is the most promising of answers I have gotten on these processors for over a month. So this is going to be the companies like Newegg, Tigerdirect and Amazon. I can't pin it down any closer than that so it is going to take some work on your part to get one of these "trickle" when they come in.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Great I have a backorder with Tiger Direct. What does "WW05 and WW06" mean btw?
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
a b å Intel
January 17, 2012 6:23:52 PM

Haha, sorry WW05 and WW06 means Work Week 5 and Work Week 6. Right now this is Intel's WW03.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
January 17, 2012 6:50:31 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Haha, sorry WW05 and WW06 means Work Week 5 and Work Week 6. Right now this is Intel's WW03.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

lol, ok that makes sense. Thanks for the info
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:27:30 PM

Amazon.com lists a 1 to 2 month ship date!
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:51:55 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I was hoping the Distributor was not being overly enthusiastic in his response...I don't want to wait another 3-4 weeks to pick one up. I am sure you know more about it than he would, but I couldn't speak to anyone at Intel and they reffered me to their (Intel) web site and I found the distributor and called them. I guess I will have to see how this all plays out...Thanks for the update...

m
l
January 17, 2012 7:59:49 PM

malanick said:
Amazon.com lists a 1 to 2 month ship date!

It's been like that for 3 plus weeks along with Tiger Direct and Buy.com...That's why this thread is here :whistle: 
m
l
a c 118 à CPUs
January 17, 2012 11:39:29 PM

i would think the flooding in Taiwan has something to do with over all shortages. i haven't seen much in the way of low yeild news on the new i7's so i guess there good enough. i guess we will see the fanboys making wild claims though...

like this:

there are rumors that intel itself is holding them back in favor of getting the bigger brothers out first, as the performance gains are slightly better but dont warrant the higher prices. basically filling demand at a price when they know the lesser parts will work just as well and sell for a lot less.
but like i say its a forum rumor so i give little credence to it.

yeah rite. intel are known for holding on to stock to drive up prices on an already expensive part... :rolleyes:
m
l
January 18, 2012 3:05:01 AM

HEXiT said:
i would think the flooding in Taiwan has something to do with over all shortages. i haven't seen much in the way of low yeild news on the new i7's so i guess there good enough. i guess we will see the fanboys making wild claims though...

like this:

there are rumors that intel itself is holding them back in favor of getting the bigger brothers out first, as the performance gains are slightly better but dont warrant the higher prices. basically filling demand at a price when they know the lesser parts will work just as well and sell for a lot less.
but like i say its a forum rumor so i give little credence to it.

yeah rite. intel are known for holding on to stock to drive up prices on an already expensive part... :rolleyes:

I read that also, needless to say I agree with you...highly unlikely. Although I will point out there hasn't been a sufficent supply of the 2700k either. That chip went out of stock a few weeks prior to the 3930k...That is what pushed me to go ahead and take the leap to Sandy-E...But, I got my board and can't get a chip now either. I have been pushed back by at least a month. The positive is I changed cases and am much more satisfied. So I guess we will see
m
l
January 19, 2012 6:47:03 PM

Well, in a few more weeks, aren't we going to be seeing the i7-3820? If they don't get some shipments out on the 3930, I might just get the 3820, supposedly due out in Feb.
m
l
January 19, 2012 8:43:20 PM

Afriporean said:
Well, in a few more weeks, aren't we going to be seeing the i7-3820? If they don't get some shipments out on the 3930, I might just get the 3820, supposedly due out in Feb.

I could do that also, I have a brand new in box Maximus III Extreme Z sitting in my closet as well as the Rampage IV board :whistle: 

I had waited so long I just upgraded myself to the Sandy E...I don't think I would go back at this point, but I have almost enough parts setting around to build the second system for the kids anyway. If I do build it soon, I will go that route and then I could compare them side by side. :o 
m
l
January 20, 2012 4:32:08 AM

well i feel better.. im not the only one
m
l
January 20, 2012 3:43:40 PM

Thanks, I am glad my hardship makes you feel better :heink: 

Just out of curiosity, what other components are you going to use in your build...I switched cases and my Cosmos II will be here today. That is the one positive out of this, I was a bit hesitent on the Silverstone F02 BW...Now I know I will be completely satisfied with the Cosmos...

m
l
January 20, 2012 6:18:50 PM

This is what I'm planning to do

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
Motherboard: Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011
Processor: Intel i7-3930k
Power Supply: Thermaltake TPG-1050M
Hard Drive 1: Samsung Series 830 128GB ( Primary OS)
Hard Drive 2: Samsung Series 830 128GB (Using for SSD cacheing)
Hard Drive 3: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s (using for SSD Cacheing)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Quad Channel memory 4x4GB ( planing on getting another set for 32GB in system)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler
Video Card: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII (planning to get another one for 2-way SLI)
m
l
January 20, 2012 6:35:49 PM

I do hope these become available soon, I'm trying to build a high-memory machine for scientific data crunching. Anyone see any glaring issues with this set of components?

Intel Core i7-3930K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P9X79 WS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR H100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2x Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec P280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
January 20, 2012 8:34:05 PM

this is what i have...

Case: corsair 800d
Motherboard: asus rampage iv x79
Processor: Intel i7-3930k (MIA)
Power Supply: corsair 850
Hard Drive 1: OCZ vertex 2 60gb
Hard Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s (using for SSD Cacheing)
RAM: g.skill 16GB Quad Channel memory 4x4GB ( planing on getting another set for 32GB in system)
CPU Cooler: hyper 212+
Video Card: xfx 5990 from old computer.
m
l
January 20, 2012 10:06:54 PM

good thing I was able to jump on one of this at end of last year...didn't know that the demand is there for a somehow expensive CPU....

my first build...

Case: Corsair 600T
MoBo: Asus Sabretooth X79
Power Supply: Seasonic 750W
Hard Drive 1: OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb
Hard Drive 2: WD Black Caviar 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (Fan is noisy when playing games)
Video Card: Diamond 6850HD
Ram: Kingston Hyper X Blu 16Gb (is this good?)
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:05:28 PM

Afriporean said:
I was going to keep my Antec 300 Case. I have a OCZ Vertex III SSD. A Radeon 9650 GPU. And an OCZ 650W Stealth Stream PSU.

I was thinking about the ASUS P9X79 Pro board: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

And the G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series Memory: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

No clue on what cooler to use. I'm debating an air cooled system like the Coolermaster 212+, or the Corsair H80

Good board...I am in the same boat with the cooling. I tried the Phanteks, but wouldn't quite work. So, I am trying to stay air cooled too...But, am not having a lot of luck with the clearance issue.

If I can't get it firgured out, I will go the H100 route.

But, the good news is my Coolermaster COSMOS II just got here... :bounce:  That thing is BIG!!!

I have a new thread under cases...trying to post pics...having a problem getting it to work...
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:15:30 PM

debase said:

Hard Drive 3: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s (using for SSD Cacheing)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Quad Channel memory 4x4GB ( planing on getting another set for 32GB in system)

I looked at that case and seriously considered it...Nothing else quite like it. I like the color scheme on the board.

I am concerned about the noise of the H100 but may end up there too. Good build.
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:23:27 PM

I was assumming/hoping that the shortage was because of the change to the C2 stepping. It would make sense for Intel to stop producing the C1 chips since C2 was due out today. A quick check is still showing out of stock on NewEgg, but I did see one site had eta's on 1/27 and 1/29. I'm still on back order with Amazon. Anyone else hear anything?
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:27:09 PM

jkgoya said:
I do hope these become available soon, I'm trying to build a high-memory machine for scientific data crunching. Anyone see any glaring issues with this set of components?

Intel Core i7-3930K http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASUS P9X79 WS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR H100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
2x Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Antec P280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Don't know much about EVGA, but seems like a good value...good reviews nice.
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:28:40 PM

By the way, I'm in the same boat as others, I now have all my equipment and am just waiting on the processor.

I'm using:

Gigabyte x79-ud7
32 gig Corsair Vengence ddr3-1600
1 Seagate baracuda 2t sata III for primary dr

Everything else is recycled for now:
Thermaltake toughpower 850w
2 Seagate baragcuda 1t drives in raid 5
2 liton dvd burners w/lightscribe
Thermaltake Xaser case (I love this case)
nvidia 8800 ultra
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:40:41 PM

Here's my build...If I can ever get it done...

Case: Coolermaster COSMOS II (Can't wait to open it and get a look at it)
MOBO: Rampage IV
Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1000
Video: Sapphire 6950 2GB TOXIC X2 (Trying not to upgrade...7970 X2???)
SSD: Kingston HyperX 240GB (will probably add 2nd one for raid 0)
HDD: Hitachi 7K1000.D 1TB Raid 0
Memory: G Skill Sniper 2133 16GB x 2
Optical: Plextor PX-LB950SA Blu Ray writer
Optical: Plextor PX-B320SA Blu Ray Combo drive
Cooling: UNDECIDED yet OR H100...
m
l
January 21, 2012 1:19:26 PM

IntelEnthusiast wrote :

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

IntelEnthusiast said:

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

LOL I interpreted that as World War 5 and World War 6... :na: 
m
l
January 21, 2012 6:55:33 PM

mlab said:
IntelEnthusiast wrote :

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

LOL I interpreted that as World War 5 and World War 6... :na: 

:o  Well, if World War 5 and World War 6 are coming I need to upgrade even more... :pt1cable: 
m
l
January 21, 2012 8:27:58 PM

I Just don't see how they are going to get the i7 3820 out on feb 13 when they can't even keep up with the i7 3930k. I want to test my other components to see if any are DOA.
m
l
January 21, 2012 10:19:21 PM

I am in the same boat, almost all of my other components are outside the 30 day return period, a bit worried about it.
m
l
January 22, 2012 12:20:59 AM

ok well back on topic. i guess the 20th wasnt the release date after all.
m
l
January 22, 2012 1:24:02 AM

keith808 said:
ok well back on topic. i guess the 20th wasnt the release date after all.

When I spoke to the distributor, he was not and I didn't ask if that was a date the distributor would have them or the retailers. I assumed the retailers, but he was a bit vague. So, I am hoping that we will maybe see some of them over the weekend...I am going to do some more snooping on Monday if I can't find one by then. I need to get this done.
m
l
January 22, 2012 6:14:10 PM

ford1 said:
When I spoke to the distributor, he was not and I didn't ask if that was a date the distributor would have them or the retailers. I assumed the retailers, but he was a bit vague. So, I am hoping that we will maybe see some of them over the weekend...I am going to do some more snooping on Monday if I can't find one by then. I need to get this done.

yea i really need it too..
m
l
January 22, 2012 8:14:18 PM

I was wondering what was going on, I already have all my other components but was told the 3930K was going to take time to ship from the manufacturer, hopefully it dosn't take too much longer, but I guess it's worth it for the C2.
m
l
January 23, 2012 5:50:43 AM

I read a comment on Newegg about a guy posting his dismay that there were no availibility of 3930k's. He also mentioned the 20th of January, as a trickling date for availability, maybe a coincidence.

However, I also looked at Amazon and now they show 2-5 weeks. That makes me believe either they are expecting some soon or they have already received some and filled some of their backorders. Now I wish I had gone ahead and ordered a couple weeks ago.

Maybe I am completely wrong, but one thing for sure, the dates HAVE been moved up, that is a positive.
m
l
January 23, 2012 11:41:25 AM

I just did a quick search of several places and they are mostly saying less then a month now. Except NewEgg of course, hey aren't saying anything as to when.
m
l
January 23, 2012 2:37:21 PM

ford1 said:
I read a comment on Newegg about a guy posting his dismay that there were no availibility of 3930k's. He also mentioned the 20th of January, as a trickling date for availability, maybe a coincidence.

However, I also looked at Amazon and now they show 2-5 weeks. That makes me believe either they are expecting some soon or they have already received some and filled some of their backorders. Now I wish I had gone ahead and ordered a couple weeks ago.

Maybe I am completely wrong, but one thing for sure, the dates HAVE been moved up, that is a positive.

yes, i agree.. i have seen other review sites post that the 20th will be the day there sent out nd stuffs.. anndddd yes amazons thing did change from months to weeks
m
l
January 23, 2012 5:35:29 PM

debase said:

Intel limited Smart Response to 64 GB on the SSD, so no reason to buy 128 GB. The extra space would be made available as traditional storage, but I'd rather dedicate the whole drive to caching.

EDIT: Oh, that was the old z68 chipset. The Asus P9X79 boards seem to use their own SSD caching on the Marvel controller. Doesn't look like the RoG boards have it.
m
l
January 23, 2012 9:21:08 PM

marcsantacruz said:
Intel limited Smart Response to 64 GB on the SSD, so no reason to buy 128 GB. The extra space would be made available as traditional storage, but I'd rather dedicate the whole drive to caching.

EDIT: Oh, that was the old z68 chipset. The Asus P9X79 boards seem to use their own SSD caching on the Marvel controller. Doesn't look like the RoG boards have it.

so the rampage iv does have it? (x79)....
m
l
Related resources
!