I just don't know when to upgrade, when should I upgrade?

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi,

I really don't know when to upgrade. Intel is just planning on rolling out new processors too fast(it's what it seems like at least). Should I upgrade when Ivy Bridge releases around April? Or should I wait for Haswell?

I don't feel like buying Sandy Bridge(i7-2700K and down) because I've waited long enough, and if anything, I'd buy Sandy Bridge-E and only when the 8 core processors come out for that platform.

What is Ivy Bridge's successor as Westmere(990x, 980x) was to Nehalem(960, 950, 920), or as Sandy Bridge-E(3960X, 3930K) is to Sandy Bridge(2700K, 2600K), Ivy Bridge-E or Haswell? Is there such thing as Ivy Bridge-E?

Please read thoroughly, thank you so much!

AbdullahG

Distinguished
What's your current CPU?

In the hardware world, tech evolves fast.
You should never wait too long, and you should get what you believe will satisfy you that is available at the moment. If an i7 2700k, i5 2500k, and so on will be fine for you, go ahead and get one. Why wait for the 8-core CPUs, just out of curiosity?

The extreme CPUs (SB-E, IB-E, etc.) are not really the successors of the previous generations, just CPUs with the same arch, more cache, more cores, and a different platform. Intel follows a Tick-Tock pattern. The Tick is a new process, and the Tock is a new arch. For example, the Tick was Westmere, while the Tock was Sandy Bridge.

Hope this helps!

AbdullahG

Distinguished

Yeah, you should upgrade :lol:
If you just watch videos, surf the web, and so on, an i3 2100 if fine.
If you game, go for an i5 2500K.
For gaming/heavy editing/things along that line, go for an i7 2600K/2700K (if the HyperThreading will come in use for you).
If you have the money and just want to blow it off on a CPU that can work as a workstation (Xeon is an option), server CPU (Xeon is an option), and everything else, go for a Sandy Bridge-E CPU.