Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$4000 Surround Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 10, 2011 7:18:42 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably This Christmas (a gift for myself) :bounce: 


Budget Range: ~ $4000 (can be a couple hundred more if needed)


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming number uno, 3D modeling, Photoshop and Design, Bluray Movies....


Parts Not Required:Monitor (I already bought 3 U3011)


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg. Most prices here are from Amazon, but welcome other sites if trusted.


Country of Origin: Socal


Parts Preferences: Intel for CPU and Nvidia for GPU.

All from Amazon :

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme -Z - LGA 1155 - Z68 - Republic of Gamer Series - ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Motherboards -- 349.99

Corsair CC800DW Obsidian 800D Black Aluminum Full Tower ATX Enthusiast Case --- 273.99

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800 Desktop Memory F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL x 2 -- 124


Corsair Professional Series Gold 1200-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performance Power Supply - CMPSU-1200AX --- 280

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor 3.4GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 -- 314.99

MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072 MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card x 3 -- 1800

Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home Theater System -- 400

Total : ~ $3500 + water cooling = ~$4000
Overclocking: Fosho

SLI or Crossfire: Definitely


Monitor Resolution: 3 of 2560x1600


Additional Comments: I will do watercooling system later but for now, Imma reuse my H100.


Any thoughts ? Thanks ;) 
October 10, 2011 7:39:31 AM

1200w is way over kill for two of those cards. This psu down below will easily push those 580's and give you plenty of juice left over.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $219.99 - $209.99 after mail-in rebate card
CORSAIR Professional Series HX1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Power Supply

This mobo down below not only has the NF200 Bridge like that Asus board, it also has PCI-E 3.0 for Ivy Bridge and the new generation vid cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $274.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- A better look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/IntelZ68/index.asp <----- Z68 Features

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4272/asrock_z68_extrem... <----- Review of that board with benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68a-gd80-p8z68-del... <----- Review of that board done last week here on Toms. It earned Tom’s Hardware Best Enthusiast-Class Award

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $64.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $197.99 FREE SHIPPING
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Also save some money on shipping charges for that case and get it from amazon.
October 10, 2011 2:30:39 PM

get a nice network gaming card too if you like gaming online!
Related resources
October 10, 2011 2:43:37 PM

Nubi_4ever, If you are planning on getting this rig for Christmas/Holiday season, I do recommend you to wait till the end of November. I remember reading somewhere that the LGA 2011 socket along with Sandy Bridge-E will be released around then.

Just a heads up, if I was planning to spend that much I'd wait for the new release of parts just to have the top of the line equipment.
October 10, 2011 3:04:18 PM

For a budgetless absolute best build, I have the following suggestions:

1) Go ahead and get a 16gb(4 x 4gb) kit of ram. Ram is cheap. 1600 is all the speed you need. It will pay dividends with 64 bit enabled apps such as photoshop.

2) For the very best GTX580 cards, look to EVGA classified. They are designed to be massively overclocked, and have a new cooler designed expressly for sli configurations. They also offer one with a hydro copper liquid cooler.
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-158... 500 Series Family&sw=

3) Corsair 800 is good, get it if you love it.
But for a top quality and cooling case, look at the Lian li PC-A77F
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 10, 2011 3:16:30 PM

Where are you in socal? There's a microcenter in Tustin. They have the i7-2600k for $280 and you get $80 off any motherboard you buy with it.
October 10, 2011 3:55:53 PM

kagebe said:
Nubi_4ever, If you are planning on getting this rig for Christmas/Holiday season, I do recommend you to wait till the end of November. I remember reading somewhere that the LGA 2011 socket along with Sandy Bridge-E will be released around then.

Just a heads up, if I was planning to spend that much I'd wait for the new release of parts just to have the top of the line equipment.


^seconded. Since you'd be getting it around christmas, it makes sense to wait a couple of months before finalising.
Also since you have the budget, an SSD is a must. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-solid-state-nan...
October 10, 2011 4:12:20 PM

geofelt said:
For a budgetless absolute best build, I have the following suggestions:

1) Go ahead and get a 16gb(4 x 4gb) kit of ram. Ram is cheap. 1600 is all the speed you need. It will pay dividends with 64 bit enabled apps such as photoshop.

2) For the very best GTX580 cards, look to EVGA classified. They are designed to be massively overclocked, and have a new cooler designed expressly for sli configurations. They also offer one with a hydro copper liquid cooler.
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-158... 500 Series Family&sw=

3) Corsair 800 is good, get it if you love it.
But for a top quality and cooling case, look at the Lian li PC-A77F
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I can't find the gtx 580 classified anywhere :( . I don't know if I should go hydro copper since its cost is equivalent to a GTX 590. But it's definitely smaller in SLI config.

Also, the interior of the Lian seems to be smaller than corsair 800D. Am I right ?
October 10, 2011 4:14:36 PM

Sky03 said:
Where are you in socal? There's a microcenter in Tustin. They have the i7-2600k for $280 and you get $80 off any motherboard you buy with it.


Thanks for the info. I remembered a guy from micro talked about it but totally forgot when I thought about this built :sweat: 
October 10, 2011 4:59:54 PM

nubi_4ever said:
I can't find the gtx 580 classified anywhere :( . I don't know if I should go hydro copper since its cost is equivalent to a GTX 590. But it's definitely smaller in SLI config.

Also, the interior of the Lian seems to be smaller than corsair 800D. Am I right ?


You order the EVGA classified directly from EVGA. It looks like they may be in short supply since they have a notify me note.
Too bad, I thought they were available.

I do not have experience with That particular lian li case, based on my lian li experience, it looked good to me.
It needs to hold your graphics cards, perhaps a few hard drives, and not much else.

I do have experience with the Lian li X1000. It is an outstanding gaming case.
It is short, front to rear, giving maximum airflow via 3 140mm intake fans. It is very tall.
It is out of production, but you could see if you could find one.
I have one which I am thinking about offering it on e-bay sometime.
I went to a M-ATX format which suits my desk space better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=11-112-...

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_i...

!