Weird - system not recognizing new card

g-unit1111

Titan
My GeForce GTX 280 finally kicked the bucket last week. I sent it into EVGA for replacement and in return they sent me a GTX 470. I plugged it into my motherboard (Asus M4A87TD Evo using AMD Phenom II x6 1055) and I could get the boot screen from the motherboard, but it wouldn't let me do much else with it - it would immediately shut off after the boot screen / POST screen would appear. I plugged in the spare graphics card that I was using (ATI Fire GL 7700) and it works perfectly fine. All the power connections work, the PCI-E x16 slot works fine, I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

I'm gonna try plugging my card into my home computer since I have nearly identical components - same power supply, Asus motherboard, and so on and see what could be causing this problem. Is there anything I should be trying differently, like a BIOS update perhaps?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Odd. Definitely try it in your home PC and see what works. It shouldn't just be shutting off like that. If it does it in your home PC too, send the card back. If it doesn't...

I would then take a look at your Power Supply.

g-unit1111

Titan
At first I thought it was my power supply until I tried it in my home system - which has the exact same power supply didn't get a picture at all, I finally called EVGA and they gave me an immediate RMA for it.

Right now I'm using an ATI Fire GL as a sub and it's causing some crazy problems with my workstation - I'm thinking its' related to the fact that I'm not using an NVIDIA card.