kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ivy_bridge_benchmarks_specifications_and_q2_2012_release_date_leak

Well I was looking into AMD and stuff late last year, then around black friday changed my mind and went with intil i5 2500k, and a z68 gigabyte MOBO with a SSD on board connector, you guys know the model. I created a thread here too :).

I wonder what will happen with piledriver since I made a tread concerning the new graphics cards from amd and they have this hybrid graphics technology in them (7970), I assume this will work with trinity based systems and second gen bulldozer ones. I assume when I want intel the most next year i'll switch to amd again ... that is if they do not let me down, (no they already did).

I have to build a new pc later this year so might as well grab a i7-3770k unlocked and unleashed when they release, or a little after release. This new pc is going to to built some where i am not really going to be, but it has to be built for other purposes. I just noticed when I build it the pc I just built will not even be one years old yet >.>. Heck I hardly use it now.... what has intel done to me!!!!!!

Would you mess with amd or intel this year? I want to know everyone's opinions. :)

combine this will a nice aftermarket cooler amd 7970... xfx or sapphire and you got a rare gem, maybe even asus, or msi, gigabyte?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

You NEARLY made that sound promising - I have no idea how, but it had me going for a second!

Then I realised that this will put AMD a grand total of 4 years behined at the time of Piledriver release in terms of performance.

I vote they sell out their CPU section and go full bore with GPUs, cause AMD have a real fight on their hands with Nvidia now.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Yes, that's a great idea, let's remove the only thing that can even possibly compete with Intel. Monopolies always bring innovation and lower prices.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
edit: yarrrr kinggraves is too quick on the draw :p

That would be a terrible idea deadjon; with no competition Intel will charge whatever they want and their technological progress will grind to a halt as they gorge themselves on the wallets of customers who have no alternative. We are already seeing it at the high end... do you really think Intel would charge £400, £600, £800 for a CPU if AMD had a compelling alternative that performed similarly??

And to not derail the thread, though Intel's Ivy Bridge looks good, I would have to see the benchmarks vs next-gen bulldozer before making my upgrade choice. And luckily for me, I am still very happy with my Phenom II X4 965 and will be for probably another year or so yet...

Now graphics cards though, these new 7xxx series look mighty fine... :)

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

if pile driver really is looking to be on par with first gen 13/15/17..... you know where I am going with this. Ivy bridge being gen 3 13/15/17 would not help in the slightest. AMD let me down, and one of my first pc's after my first intel's back in the day was AMD, they let me down.

When I went to finally build a new pc for someone in 2010 and others, I never wanted to do pc gaming again and hardly ever did, then saw that I wanted a new pc besides a laptop, just to be up to date. I was going to grab a amd 3850 set up and be cheap with parts. then I looked at sales around black friday and saw intel second generation was more viable.

This year i'll be building a third gen I7 system for use when I visit Florida, so I may just order all the parts around the week I go down to Florida so I can assemble and check pc parts, and make sure nothing is DOA so I can send in the rebates and such.

if I were you i'd build a second generation system, but then again since the third gen is april 2012 might as well grab an i5 or i7 even if you do not build the computer then, just as long as you buy it, if you do not want it you can sell it back lol.

Even if I do not build the pc on time I may as well buy the i5/i7 third gen processor in case amd earns my trust.

Basically just letting you know it is time for an upgrade, I can already tell what pile driver will do against the intel third gen processor, but not how close it will be to second generation.

If pile drive combines it's igp with the 7xxx series there may be a reason for you to stick with them, but I would not bet on it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

You really cannot say that just because Bulldozer is a failure, Piledriver will be as well. I would say I'm skeptical, but it isn't impossible for them to have an answer to their issues. There's certainly a "lot of room to improve". It is a fact that the OS is not properly utilizing BD architecture. That IS AMD's fault for releasing a product that doesn't properly use the current systems, but it seems that BD was never meant to be the real product. I mean, 3 processors in 3 different price ranges? That isn't much of a lineup, seems more like they just wanted to get it into some systems to test it out. By the time Piledriver comes out, full Windows 8 will be out, and maybe things will be using more cores by then too. Llano is testing the concept of an APU. You've gotta keep in mind that the games that come out in the present were started years ago, and sometimes use engines that are even older. They weren't made for multithreading. AMD does definitely do better in multithreading on the low end, and BD does pretty well in multithreading even on the high end. If everything used cores like POV Ray and 7Zip, dual cores would be a joke. AMD just seems to keep building for the "future" and expecting everything else to catch up. They were a CPU company, and they still don't seem to understand the software side of things. Just look at the graphics drivers.

You really can't say AMD "betrayed" anyone though. They're a business, not your boyfriend. They have always been the minority, and the only time they had a chance to get any footing is when Intel was completely asleep at the wheel assuming no one could touch them. Intel has more money, more contracts, bigger and better facilities, more to put into R and D. The average consumer doesn't even know what AMD is and likely assumes they're a cheap knockoff of Intel. AMD has continuously done things that Intel wasn't willing to do, and Intel has repeatedly copied it. Intel hated OC until AMD used it to sell CPUs, then suddenly they start releasing K models. Intel thought their lousy IGP was good enough, but now that AMD is using better IGPs, it's a priority for them to improve it in Ivy Bridge. AMD's only card to play at this point is relying on their GPUs to sell CPUs, because Intel just can't compete in the GPU market. APUs are the ONLY thing they have at the moment that Intel can't easily copy with better processes. They aren't a terrible idea either, get some graphics today and when you upgrade, your IGP isn't going to waste. Llano isn't really strong enough for a PC gamer though, the "graphics today" isn't enough unless you really can't afford better, and the "upgrade tomorrow" isn't enough to justify it unless you already have the APU. Add in the issues and pickiness of Hybrid Crossfire, and it's easier to just save up and get a 6770. What if that IGP was a 6600 or 6700 level though? And it crossfired to equal a 6850 or better? That might be a lot more useful an upgrade path. I don't see how they can accomplish it, AMD's really got to pull off a miracle to make Piledriver as great as it could be.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
True you make a point, I was looking at the concept of IGP/APU. I want amd to do well and make it work, but last year when grabbing pc parts I could not wait any longer for a pc, and just built a intel pc.

This year is going to be another intel pc, for when they release.

Concerning amd, I like them a lot, just not right now. Llano has no upgrade options and I can't tell if future card would combine with them, it is already limited and done, maybe they can make a better model, but that is it.

This year unless there is a delay, trinity is releasing with 7xxx series APU's, piledriver and CO i releasing with 7xxx series APU's, so if you have a 6770-6970 or x2 of them (who knows), as you said buy one of these second gen apu's. When you're ready to upgrade the cards to 7xxx series the APU will not go to waste!

There is too much to do for them to get this done properly, I foresee driver updates and kinks being worked out, but if they pull it off, people will at least try and build an AMD system/APU/AMD based pc because i would be more beneficial than an Intel/amd, intel/nvida, or amd/nvida system build.

This is why I am sitting to watch before I build the second pc I have to build this year. I may as well build the i7 third gen pc still, since I was asked to build two pc this year anyway, that way if something turns around with amd I can test them out.

Then there is my cousin who had me build a pc for him in 2010 holiday season whom may want an upgrade, so I have been looking around.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
This reads like a swingers or a wife swap party rather than an upgrade forum. Holy pimp Batman it has got to be simpler than this waffle. If you can afford i7 and a 7990 GPU you don't need to be mulling around with compromises in your head surely.

If you can't fit that 7990 in with an i7/i5 then your next port of call is AMD's FX unless you want to wait a year before adding the GPU. In which case the FX owner will be playing all the latest games 12 months earlier than you would.

Oh decisions, decisions. I doubt that FX owners will be upgrading in the next 2 years. As for poor old me, I invested in the previous tech PII 965 & 1090 over 12 months ago and I still can't justify the extra money to upgrade. I run Vista Ultimate 64 with full Areo enabled and don't switch anything off when I have a fang in Crysis 2 or Far Cry 2, just click and go and have some fun.

.....and Win 8 looks like it's going to be a stroll in the park, looking just far less demanding than Vista.

Just as an aside note. I finally bit the bullet with my Turion laptop and went to Win 7 64 upgrade and was surprised how much faster it goes, so you don't need to upgrade an AMD system just upgrade to a newer OS. Nice OS, but Shame about the lack of USB 3.0 support though.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah I understand, I had not had an upgrade in a tower pc for a while though. I stopped building pc's and caring about console and video games, it is so fun to be back in this mess.

If you can go with an intel i5/i7 and a 7xxx series GPU!!! there you go, you are set and should not even look back.

But seeing as how I used to be a amd user after my first intel back in the day I just still want to see amd succeed in where they lack, and god forbid they ever sell their CPU?APU R&D division, *** would so much hit the fan.

I just want to see how amd fares, I will stick with intel, I see no problems with it, i'll build the pc's I am asked to build, and go for the third gen intel pc I said I was going to build... that is it.

Just love talking about computer parts :p, technology is fun, especially the type of motherboards and the functions and or gimmicks they add =X.

ivy bridge is 2nd gen of the intel core. same as sandy bridge.

bulldozer already competes easily with the first gen of i7s, just don't beat them.

piledriver would bring them closer to intel performance but won't be beating it. I'd say they just need to get 5% increase to stay even as of now against ivy which shouldn't be hard, thought their current situation is kinda horrible.

a 30% increase in performance and a 100% decrease in power consumption would be needed to effectively compete with ivy. Now thats kinda hard to do so I think amd will just lower prices a ton to compete for the time being when they launch piledriver.

kikiking

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I see might as well still get the i7 model of the ivy bridge this year :D. I keep calling ivy bridge third gen, I mean z68 would be the third gen mobo's why I keep getting things mixed up.

Yes pile driver will not be it, they would need to make an expensive consumer friendly cpu to really compete, and you already know amd is poor mans gravy :(.

:D.