Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replacing most of my PC hardware. What should I do with my drivers?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Drivers
  • Processors
Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2012 12:37:51 AM

I am getting a new processor, motherboard, graphics card and RAM sticks. I was wondering which drivers I need to uninstall and how should I do it? I am also going from AMD to Intel for my processor.

More about : replacing hardware drivers

Best solution

a c 169 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 1:29:06 AM

With that much hardware changing, a fresh install of the OS would be needed. That will take care of any driver issues. You may have to buy a new operating system also.
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 1:54:00 AM

I just upgraded recently myself. New processor and motherboard. Also from AMD to Intel. I just backed up what I needed and reinstalled windows.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 2:15:11 AM

Reinstall windows and fill in the gaps with your motherboard disc
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:20:57 AM

I am using a Compaq PC at the moment however. And how should I clear my HDD?
m
l
a c 104 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
November 5, 2012 11:28:52 AM

save/backup your data. format the HD and reinstall windows.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 11:48:43 AM

Also if the version of Windows you are using is the Compaq OEM then it will not work with replacing that many components because it will not really be a Compaq any longer.

One last thing are you putting your new hardware into a new case? Most OEM cases will not accept aftermarket motherboards. I would also take a close look at the PSU you are using if it is coming from the Compaq also. Pre-built rigs like your Compaq usually only have a PSU big enough for the computer as it comes from the manufacture so adding more components onto them can easily overload it.
m
l
a c 169 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 1:53:25 PM

bryonhowley said:
One last thing are you putting your new hardware into a new case? Most OEM cases will not accept aftermarket motherboards.

That's way old school, most PC's (including off the shelf pre-builts) are now using the ATX specifications - there are exceptions but they are fewer and fewer any more.
m
l
November 5, 2012 8:44:09 PM

Could I put the Windows ISO on a disk and use that? It has the CD key on the side. And how should I format it?

EDIT: NVM I figured everything out.
m
l
November 5, 2012 9:05:25 PM

Best answer selected by SargeSparta.
m
l
!