Solved

Last minute check. About to place the order!

Approximate Purchase Date: Before 8/25

Budget Range: 1100-1300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, monitor, Optical Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg

Country of Origin: usa

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Don’t care as long as its quality

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: down the road

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: (needs to last)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the parts I’m considering… The Current price is 1300. I wouldn’t mind cutting the cost down a little, but every time I do I end up around the same price. Any Advice?

Intel Core i5-2500K
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E98EI2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K330KK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

StarTech.com 50x10mm Replacement Ball Bearing Computer Case Fan for sabertooth
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8CM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WK3KKQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LE8BJA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin D
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00569K7LM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XVMAKU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Graphics card and motherboard have been the two biggest headaches. Every time I decide, it changes a day later. Let me know your thoughts on this build as I’m feeling pretty good about it.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about last minute check place order
  1. Nice build.
  2. Would one see a substantial increase in performance (worth 130$) with the MSI nVidia GeForce GTX580 lightning Vs the 570 twin frozr iii @ 1920X1080?

    I was planning on overclocking the 570 twin frozr iii to get as close to 580 as possible while remaining stable.

    By buying the 580 would I, in essence, future proof my system for say an additional year?

    Why I ask is that the longer I do not have to upgrade the GPU the more I can invest in other technology... 3d, multiple monitors, etc.

    I find myself upgrading my graphics cards (nearly) yearly. I've also never spent more then 200 on one before.
  3. Best answer
    I'd switch the Corsair for a Core Edition 850

    http://www.amazon.com/850W-Core-Edition-Power-Supply/dp/B0045L4BNW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318254387&sr=1-3

    Same 10.0 jonnyguru performance rating as TX850 and $15 cheaper

    http://www.amazon.com/850W-Core-Edition-Power-Supply/dp/B0045L4BNW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318254387&sr=1-3

    Skip the RAM w/ tall heatsinks and get the low profile version. The only cooling effect of these big coolers is that they "look cool". While they served a purpose (when they were effective) w/ DDR2, they are absolutely useless on DDR3.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=1
    Quote:
    At more than 2" tall in certain areas the Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.


    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=773&Itemid=67&limit=1&limitstart=6
    Quote:
    The problem I have with the Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance line but ultimately I would like to see the average size of coolers drop instead of having to look for specific low profile versions of a memory line.


    The low profile versions have same specs, drop the useless heat sinks and won't interfere w/ ya cooler.

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-12800-CML8GX3M2A1600C9W/dp/B005DKZK84/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318255717&sr=1-25
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Memory-Channel-240-Pin-CMX8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B0042A7CAA/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318255762&sr=1-15
    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-12800-CML8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B00569K7LM/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318255762&sr=1-13

    Sabertooth is a great board. Save $20 in the combo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.738262

    GFX - I don't see the 570 Frozr for $370 .... it scores 524 fps in Guru3D's gaming test suite. The $205 560 GTX gets 495 fps. For another $40, ya could do twin GF cards in SLI and get 862 fps. But ya wanna do twin 570's down the road ya say ???? Twin 570's do 873 fps so .......

    Quote:
    By buying the 580 would I, in essence, future proof my system for say an additional year?


    You decide:

    $410 for 862 fps w/ twin 900 MHz 560's

    or

    $500 for 616 fps w/ 580

    or

    $740 for 873 fps w/ twin 570's

    or

    $1,000 for 953 fps w/ twin 580's

    The twin 560's get you 90% of the performance for 41% of the price....The 560's are OC'd as much as 15% over their reference speeds (can easily be OC'd further to 100MHz) and they come with larger coolers and other improvements....the 570 OTOH, has a less robust voltage subsystem and doesn't OC nearly as well. The 580s are also limited by their heat, biggest factory OC's I have seen are about 4-6 %

    Only other thing I'd consider is upgrading ($25) to a x16 x16 board. Compare it to the competition in the second link .... note the huge power consumption and temperature differences as well as the game fps.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index12.html

    Won't have much of an effect on average fps in most games but in THG's test, STALKER was 10% faster. Minimum frame rates will however be affected to a greater extent. This may change significantly w/ the next generation cards.

    You also might want to look at the Z68 chipset.....see if you benefit from anything by reading the article below:

    http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html
  4. Thanks for the responses. Defiantly will change the RAM as I was worried about the size of the heatsinks to begin with. However, the PSU I have included is modular for the most part and I do not mind spending 15$ for better cable management.

    I was considering the 560 as well. However, I really want to avoid SLI for atleast a year. This is mainly the reason that I upgraded to the 570. I understand cost efficiency dwindles as you go over 250, which is the reason I never went over 200 in the past. However, I always ended up upgrading sooner than I had anticipated (main reason I’m splurging this time).

    Also about the 570 Twin Frozr; I read that Afterburner had an update and the voltage became more flexible thus higher clocks achievable. I am not sure about this as there isn’t a whole lot of information on the 570 TW3 aside from a couple threads (compared to the 580 lightening and the 560 anyway)
  5. Well you won't Really need SLI for 1920x1080 Resolution monitor, The 570 should be enough to move some games on high settings.
  6. Agreed. If I do not have to upgrade the GPU as regularly, I will be able to buy multiple monitors or a 3d ready one down the road. This is why Im buying a more expensive GPU this time around. I realize I would probably be alright with the 560ti on my current monitor but I plan to upgrade to a bigger resolution after Christmas. 570 seems the minimum I can plan ahead with.
  7. That's the issue .... the 570 is not all that great an OC'er .... and the 570's simply don't scale as well in SLI. The 560 scales 174 %, the 570 only 167 %

    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304592-33-overclocking-scaling

    GTX 560 Ti Overclocked
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_asus_gtx560ti/17.htm

    AvP - 36 fps
    Metro 2033 - 36 fps
    Crysis Warhead - 47 fps
    CoD-MW - 103 fps
    Just Cause - 59 fps
    Batman AA - 154 fps
    Battlefied BC2 - 94 fps

    TOTAL FPS - 529


    GTX 570 Overclocked
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_gtx_570_review/16.htm

    AvP - 38 fps
    Metro 2033 - 36 fps
    Crysis Warhead - 45 fps
    CoD-MW - 102 fps
    Just Cause - 61 fps
    Batman AA - 147 fps
    Battlefied BC2 - 99 fps

    TOTAL FPS - 528
  8. Sirorko said:
    Also about the 570 Twin Frozr; I read that Afterburner had an update and the voltage became more flexible thus higher clocks achievable. I am not sure about this as there isn’t a whole lot of information on the 570 TW3 aside from a couple threads (compared to the 580 lightening and the 560 anyway)


    I wouldn't go there....stay with manufacturer's recommended range. Lotta fried 570's out there from peeps exceeding manufacturers voltage specs.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?266026-Dead-570-s-%28Have-you-killed-yours-%29

    http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=5008.30
  9. Started with 570 than Suggested a 580 and I'm about to settle on 560ti! Anyone want to throw around the 69xxs? I was trying to stay above 560-6950 for a little longer time between upgrades, but It looks like I might end up keeping my same pattern I was trying to change.
  10. The 580 is a monster OCer, a 15% (900/1800mhz) increase is pretty typical. Also, you can't increase the voltage of the 570 more than 1.1v or it'll fry, but with the 580 you can take it to 1.15v assuming your case has good airflow.
  11. You think the cm storm enforcer would provide adequate airflow?
  12. Sirorko said:
    You think the cm storm enforcer would provide adequate airflow?


    No idea, I'm a full tower guy :)

    I'm sure it will though, cooler master's cases are pretty solid.
  13. Best answer selected by SIRORKO.
  14. Sirorko said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: Before 8/25

    Budget Range: 1100-1300

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

    Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, monitor, Optical Drive

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or Newegg

    Country of Origin: usa

    Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Don’t care as long as its quality

    Overclocking: Yes

    SLI or Crossfire: down the road

    Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

    Additional Comments: (needs to last)

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Here are the parts I’m considering… The Current price is 1300. I wouldn’t mind cutting the cost down a little, but every time I do I end up around the same price. Any Advice?

    Intel Core i5-2500K
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Bronze
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005E98EI2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K330KK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    StarTech.com 50x10mm Replacement Ball Bearing Computer Case Fan for sabertooth
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006B8CM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WK3KKQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


    Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LE8BJA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


    Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin D
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00569K7LM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XVMAKU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER


    Graphics card and motherboard have been the two biggest headaches. Every time I decide, it changes a day later. Let me know your thoughts on this build as I’m feeling pretty good about it.



    UPDATE: Ended up getting one a bit later then I had thought- saved a couple extra months- Specs Below- Couldn't be happier.

    Ended up with:
    CPU
    i5 3570k

    RAM
    corsair vengence low profile
    size: 16 GBytes

    Hard Drives
    1 X OCZ Vertex 4
    2X WD Green 1 TB in RAID 1

    Cooling
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho (last second decision, and turns out to be a fantastic choice)

    Power
    Corsair AX850

    Motherboard
    z77 sabertooth


    Case
    Corsair 600T

    Graphics
    GTX 670 EVGA ftw (first one I revived had an unstable OC, had to RMA, no problems with replacement)

    Windows 7 Professional.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product