Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build. Question: MBO or powersupply dead?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 5, 2012 1:51:35 AM

Hello,
I just installed a new MBO MSi A75A -G35 and installed new power supply, and plugged in power connection to MBO. Nothing happens when I turn it on. I performed the paperclip test on the power supply and the fan turned which it did not do when plugged into the MBO. However, I have no lights anywhere that are lit. Question: how do you know if it is the power supply or motherboard which is the problem?

I don't know if I am in the correct forum so if I need to be moved please do so.

Thanks.

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 4:01:35 AM

Hi, have you connected both 24 and 4-pin power connectors? Are the case reset and power switches correctly connected to the board's header?
m
l
November 5, 2012 10:40:18 AM

alexoiu said:
Hi, have you connected both 24 and 4-pin power connectors? Are the case reset and power switches correctly connected to the board's header?

No, I guess not. My power supply came with a 24 pin connector but not a 4 pin connector in the configuration that the MBO has listed. I do not have a 4 pin connector from the power supply in the orientation that is listed on the MBO diagram. I "assumed" that the 24 pin connector was the only power supply connection needed to the MBO. Is there supposed to be a 4 pin connector as well as the 24 piece power supply connector?

Thanks for your help.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 130 ) Power supply
a c 154 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 10:58:18 AM

There may be an 8 pin ATX connector on your PSU (possibly a 4+4 pin - NOT the 6+2 or 8pin that says PCIe!), if there is an 8 pin ATX you can use it on the 4 pin ATX on your motherboard, it'll just hang over nothingness a little
m
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 11:06:43 AM

fireflyva said:
No, I guess not. My power supply came with a 24 pin connector but not a 4 pin connector in the configuration that the MBO has listed. I do not have a 4 pin connector from the power supply in the orientation that is listed on the MBO diagram. I "assumed" that the 24 pin connector was the only power supply connection needed to the MBO. Is there supposed to be a 4 pin connector as well as the 24 piece power supply connector?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it is, otherwise the CPU doesn't work. I assume that the CPU fan does not spin. What's the model of the power supply?
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:21:47 PM

2152187,7,1453544 said:
The PSU has a 8-pin and a 4+4 pin power connectors. Connect one of the 4+4 pin to the board's EATX connector.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....[/quotem

Sorry for this question - it is probably stupid question, but does the 4+4 pin layout lookout like a retangular 8 pin plug? If so, I guess 4 pins just are not connected? Sorry for this obvious question but I am a bit of a newbie....
m
l

Best solution

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a b ) Power supply
a c 557 V Motherboard
November 5, 2012 2:30:01 PM

fireflyva said:
2152187,7,1453544 said:
The PSU has a 8-pin and a 4+4 pin power connectors. Connect one of the 4+4 pin to the board's EATX connector.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....[/quotem

Sorry for this question - it is probably stupid question, but does the 4+4 pin layout lookout like a retangular 8 pin plug? If so, I guess 4 pins just are not connected? Sorry for this obvious question but I am a bit of a newbie....
said:

Yes, they can be connected together or separately. Plug one of the 2 connectors. Pay attention at the shape of the pins (round and squarred) so that the position matches the motherboard's connector.
November 5, 2012 2:36:29 PM

OK - thanks so much. I will be able to try this tonight when I get home from work. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:18:31 AM

Best answer selected by fireflyva.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:18:53 AM

alexoiu said:
Yes, they can be connected together or separately. Plug one of the 2 connectors. Pay attention at the shape of the pins (round and squarred) so that the position matches the motherboard's connector.

Alexoiu -

Thank for the information. It worked just as you said. I also found a few other problems along the way I was able to repair but your advice took care of the problem. It is up and running well now. Thanks again.
m
l
!