Sign in with
Your question

Can I use two wireless adapters in the same PC

Last response: in Networking
November 13, 2010 6:07:24 PM

Does anyone know if I can use two wireless adapters in one PC to connect to two different routers? Thanks....

More about : wireless adapters

a c 79 F Wireless
November 13, 2010 6:33:25 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?

only one would be used for browsing.
m
l
November 13, 2010 6:58:46 PM

I want to see if two is better than one? :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 79 F Wireless
November 13, 2010 7:26:09 PM

Like I stated before the pc will only use one nic to connect to the internet
m
l
November 14, 2010 4:04:05 PM

If you were connecting to two different routers and had a balancer then maybe. Its not worth the effort. If you got a low wifi signal then get a repeater :D 
m
l
January 21, 2012 5:29:08 AM

I am plagued by the slow downloading speed of my wireless connection to the internet. Since it is not an option to hardwire my pc, I decided to see if I can benefit by purchasing a new adapter. I am using www.speedtest.net to test the download speed on my pc using asus wireless adapters. When I use just one N13 (older Asus) I get around 2-7 mbps. When I use the newer N53 (new Asus) I get around 4-7 mbps. When I use them both, I get 6-13 mbps. I could be wrong, only relying on speedtest.net results, but it is helping. Now, I was told at the computer store that I cannot use two wireless adapters. But I am not seeing any troubles so far. It is just so much faster now.
m
l
April 15, 2014 9:22:44 PM

Unless you want redundancy it's pretty useless
m
l
June 12, 2014 8:10:52 PM

Yes, you can have multiple wired or wireless network connections but, in my experience with Windows 8.1, you have to connect manually the second wifi network each time the PC restart. By the way, for the others posters, I don't see why is relevant what he/she is trying to accomplish. Maybe is just for the sake of curiosity. But if you wonder, there useful scenarios like:
1) One connection for internet and the other for sharing files in a private (isolated) network.
2) One network adapter for a virtual machine and other network adapter for the host (without sharing the bandwidth).
3) One internet connection for downloading torrents (using binding) and another connection for browsing (modifying metrics).
m
l
June 13, 2014 1:11:40 AM

Connecting two wireless adapters to the same computer will not improve the system's Internet connection speed. Adding a second Wi-Fi adapter to a computer will improve the Wi-Fi performance if the second adapter features a better-performing standard, but it's overriding the older, slower card, not working in conjunction with it. The Internet connection speed is usually bottlenecked at the service provider level and the Wi-Fi connection has enough bandwidth to support all of the available Internet speed.
m
l
June 20, 2014 6:27:04 AM

Actually I am testing as we speak.
Scenario Home Office with a Personal network and a business network.
One User connects to Business and one to Personal.
That way i can switch back and forth, also it allows me to run carbonite without pop ups saying drive not connected.
Just started, minor problems. One internal wifi and one USB adapter.
m
l
!