StyleXP messes up my desktop icons!

Strange, but true. When I change visual styles (not themes) with
StyleXP, it changes some of my icons, such as the recycle bin.
Something tells me it shouldn`t do that with visual styles. But
anyway, I don`t want to know how to get my icons back, I can figure
that one out. I want to know how to PREVENT my icons from being
changed by a rogue program again in the future. I tried adding a
read-only attribute to the icon, but it seems you can`t do that. I
tried 3rd party programs which stay resident and whose sole purpose is
to prevent changes to your desktop icons, such as Easy Desktop Saver.
It didn`t work. All it took was the `"Clouds" visual style to change
the desktop icons again. Sure kept my wallpaper locked though....

Can some genius please tell me how to prevent changes to my carefully
designed icon sets?

Bobby D wrote:
> Strange, but true. When I change visual styles (not themes) with
> StyleXP, it changes some of my icons, such as the recycle bin.
> Something tells me it shouldn`t do that with visual styles. But
> anyway, I don`t want to know how to get my icons back, I can figure
> that one out. I want to know how to PREVENT my icons from being
> changed by a rogue program again in the future. I tried adding a
> read-only attribute to the icon, but it seems you can`t do that. I
> tried 3rd party programs which stay resident and whose sole purpose is
> to prevent changes to your desktop icons, such as Easy Desktop Saver.
> It didn`t work. All it took was the `"Clouds" visual style to change
> the desktop icons again. Sure kept my wallpaper locked though....
>
> Can some genius please tell me how to prevent changes to my carefully
> designed icon sets?

How is it a rogue problem when you have to install the third party "StyleXP"
in order to use it? heh

--
<- Shenan ->

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message news:<OB$Mg#MdEHA.2504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Bobby D wrote:
> > Strange, but true. When I change visual styles (not themes) with
> > StyleXP, it changes some of my icons, such as the recycle bin.
> > Something tells me it shouldn`t do that with visual styles. But
> > anyway, I don`t want to know how to get my icons back, I can figure
> > that one out. I want to know how to PREVENT my icons from being
> > changed by a rogue program again in the future. I tried adding a
> > read-only attribute to the icon, but it seems you can`t do that. I
> > tried 3rd party programs which stay resident and whose sole purpose is
> > to prevent changes to your desktop icons, such as Easy Desktop Saver.
> > It didn`t work. All it took was the `"Clouds" visual style to change
> > the desktop icons again. Sure kept my wallpaper locked though....
> >
> > Can some genius please tell me how to prevent changes to my carefully
> > designed icon sets?
>
> How is it a rogue problem when you have to install the third party "StyleXP"
> in order to use it? heh

Is there really no one out there that knows how to prevent a program
from changing your XP icons?

Bobby D wrote:
> Is there really no one out there that knows how to prevent a program
> from changing your XP icons?

If you know what registry key corresponds to the icons of the ones in
question (ie: Recycle Bin, My Computer, My Netowrk Places, My Documents,
etc..) then you can go and lock these down by changing the permissions on
the registry values in such a way that even you cannot change them.

I know of no particular applications that watches for rogue processes (as
you call *your* installation of StyleXP) to change the look of your icons.
I have never seen my icons dynamically change either.. Even if I used soime
third party application on purpose like StyleXP, I specified everything I
could to make sure my look was as I wanted it.

--
<- Shenan ->