Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

recover corrupt JPG's after downloaded from CF card ?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 10, 2005 8:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I was travelling in India and downloading / backing up my Nikon's CF cards
(a Sandisk Regular; Sandisk Ultra; a Lexar 12X) ... by means of a
Microsolutions "RoadStore". It worked fine last year ... and it worked fine
this year ... except for one time !

I don't know which card it was, but when I look at that one directory of
pics, I see normal size "JPG" files ... but I cannot open them in anything.
Well, if I force them to open, I see "colored snow". Interestingly, if I
preview them with Photoshop Elements, I can see thumbnails of the "lost"
files. I can see the pics that I cannot open !!

I talked to the Microsolutions tech people and they said to try a certain
data recover program that I could download a trial version of, from a
certain site. I did that, but it didn't work on my files. I phoned the maker
of the recovery program and the tech told me that it only worked IF THE
FILES WERE STILL ON THE CF CARD.

Once they were copied off onto a CDR and the CF card re-formatted ... the
recovery program could not do its magic. The tech also said that it was
probably due to a defective CF card ... also that it was NOT a good idea to
delete files in the camera ... that this could upset the apple cart of a
"questionable" CF card ... that it was better to just leave them on the CF
card and delete them after backup/downloading was done.

Question: Has anyone had any experience with salvaging corrupt JPGs that
are on a CDR ?

Thanks !

-RS-
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 8:41:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
(and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
$30 (and still is)

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
may not be possible.

Good luck
GG
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 9:00:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

RS wrote:
> I was travelling in India and downloading / backing up my Nikon's CF cards
> (a Sandisk Regular; Sandisk Ultra; a Lexar 12X) ... by means of a
> Microsolutions "RoadStore". It worked fine last year ... and it worked fine
> this year ... except for one time !
>
> I don't know which card it was, but when I look at that one directory of
> pics, I see normal size "JPG" files ... but I cannot open them in anything.
> Well, if I force them to open, I see "colored snow". Interestingly, if I
> preview them with Photoshop Elements, I can see thumbnails of the "lost"
> files. I can see the pics that I cannot open !!
>
> I talked to the Microsolutions tech people and they said to try a certain
> data recover program that I could download a trial version of, from a
> certain site. I did that, but it didn't work on my files. I phoned the maker
> of the recovery program and the tech told me that it only worked IF THE
> FILES WERE STILL ON THE CF CARD.
>
> Once they were copied off onto a CDR and the CF card re-formatted ... the
> recovery program could not do its magic. The tech also said that it was
> probably due to a defective CF card ... also that it was NOT a good idea to
> delete files in the camera ... that this could upset the apple cart of a
> "questionable" CF card ... that it was better to just leave them on the CF
> card and delete them after backup/downloading was done.
>
> Question: Has anyone had any experience with salvaging corrupt JPGs that
> are on a CDR ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> -RS-

Hi RS...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Couple of suggestions, if I may?

How about copying the entire cd in one swell foop to a directory
on your hard drive? Perhaps you'll be able to see some or all
of them that way.

Then again, perhaps the copy will continue only so far and hang.
If so, you'll probably get at least some of your pics.

If that doesn't work for you then if the pics are sufficiently
important to you, you might want to try loading the whole
thing into a hex editor. Search out jpeg headers and footers,
and copy each and every one into a new file with a unique name.

Good luck.

Ken
Related resources
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 11:00:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<stratus46@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1113109592.913779.211380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
> does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
> S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
> Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.
>
> Good luck
> GG
>

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery is free.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/?source=i_r_about
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:53:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

stratus46@yahoo.com wrote:
> Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
> does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
> S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
> Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.
>
> Good luck
> GG
>

Thanks, but the error happened fairly early in a 5 week travel and shoot
trip ... i.e., the card was totally re-written on several times since
then. All the data I have from the card is on several CDR's.

-RS-
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Rudy Benner wrote:
> <stratus46@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1113109592.913779.211380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
>>does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
>>S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
>>Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
>>CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
>>(and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
>>been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
>>$30 (and still is)
>>
>>http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>>
>>How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
>>may not be possible.
>>
>>Good luck
>>GG
>>
>
>
> Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery is free.
> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/?source=i_r_about
>
>

Thanks, I will download and try the Zero product ... however from what I
read on the "about" page, it looks like it is also meant to work with
original media itself ... and sadly, this had been totally re-written on
several times since the bad batch of images. The CF card itself must be
"marginal" and seems to work fine unless one deletes a pic or two in
the camera (as the tech I mentioned in my original post, said).

So it comes down to "JPG file recovery" rather than "digital camera file
recovery".

-RS-
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ken Weitzel wrote:
>
>> Hi RS...
>
> Sorry to hear of your loss. Couple of suggestions, if I may?
>
> How about copying the entire cd in one swell foop to a directory
> on your hard drive? Perhaps you'll be able to see some or all
> of them that way.
>
> Then again, perhaps the copy will continue only so far and hang.
> If so, you'll probably get at least some of your pics.
>
> If that doesn't work for you then if the pics are sufficiently
> important to you, you might want to try loading the whole
> thing into a hex editor. Search out jpeg headers and footers,
> and copy each and every one into a new file with a unique name.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Ken
>

Yes, I was doing a folder-by-folder copy from the CDR onto the hard disk
when it first complained that it could not copy certain files. What
would be a good way to do a one-fell-swoop copy of the CDR to the hard
drive? "X-copy" ? I have not used that for some time, but I must have a
DOS reference book somewhere ... to help me get the parameters right :-).

The Hex editor idea would probably be the best idea I've heard so far
.... if I was familiar with such editors. I didn't quite follow your
suggestion about the headers and footers: Are they the part that is
likely to be damaged? Do I want to keep them ... or the stuff that is
between the header & footer ?? Perhaps I can find a true geek
(programmer who does machine-level programming) to help me ! Yes, the
images are important: a very fancy wedding in the Punjab, India that I
was invited to take photos at.

-RS-
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 10:10:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

stratus46@yahoo.com wrote in news:1113109592.913779.211380
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.

Yes, that is a totally different issue. Once the data is wrongly copied to
another media, there is no practical way of fixing it. The key thing to
understand here is that if a picture made of 4 blocks A B C D is wrongly
copied as A B D, and if C is missing or even wrongly copied to another
picture as C E F G H there is no way to correct the situation.

Even very minor, single byte corruptions might be hard to fix. One has to
determine which byte is wrong, and then discriminate among all the possible
fixes which picture would be aesthetically correct.

While I can see ways to address the last problem, just as I can see ways to
improve on the auto defragmentation we use, these solutions would require
_a lot_ of computing power, resources and patience, several orders of
magnitude bigger than what the average user now has.

Pierre/PhotoRescue
April 19, 2005 1:23:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi,

When I recently purchased several SanDisk Extreme CF cards, they came with a 3"
CD-R containing a program called RescuePro, which is supposed to rescue
problematic card images. If you have no luck with other programs, then contact
me at:
mort@cloud9.net
and I'll be glad to snailmail you a copy of the RescuePro disc to your mailing
address.

Good luck.

Morton


RS wrote:

> I was travelling in India and downloading / backing up my Nikon's CF cards
> (a Sandisk Regular; Sandisk Ultra; a Lexar 12X) ... by means of a
> Microsolutions "RoadStore". It worked fine last year ... and it worked fine
> this year ... except for one time !
>
> I don't know which card it was, but when I look at that one directory of
> pics, I see normal size "JPG" files ... but I cannot open them in anything.
> Well, if I force them to open, I see "colored snow". Interestingly, if I
> preview them with Photoshop Elements, I can see thumbnails of the "lost"
> files. I can see the pics that I cannot open !!
>
> I talked to the Microsolutions tech people and they said to try a certain
> data recover program that I could download a trial version of, from a
> certain site. I did that, but it didn't work on my files. I phoned the maker
> of the recovery program and the tech told me that it only worked IF THE
> FILES WERE STILL ON THE CF CARD.
>
> Once they were copied off onto a CDR and the CF card re-formatted ... the
> recovery program could not do its magic. The tech also said that it was
> probably due to a defective CF card ... also that it was NOT a good idea to
> delete files in the camera ... that this could upset the apple cart of a
> "questionable" CF card ... that it was better to just leave them on the CF
> card and delete them after backup/downloading was done.
>
> Question: Has anyone had any experience with salvaging corrupt JPGs that
> are on a CDR ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> -RS-
!