likethesearchengine

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Hello,

When I am playing games, I will sometimes get a strange crash which is reminiscent of an 8-bit crash screen from an old nintendo. It basically samples one random color on the screen and creates a sort of grid using mainly that color.

photo.jpg

This is a hard lockup. My computer completely ceases to function. Sometimes the screen will just flicker and recover, but most of the time it solidly locks up and requires a push button reboot.

I have a P55A-UD3 mobo, an i5 760, and a Sapphire HD5870.

The 5870 has been RMAed, but it made the problem worse if anything.

Any ideas? This happens about once per day (or every few hours of gaming).

The game that this most often occurs in is League of Legends, but I have also seen it in the Witcher 2 and Medal of Honor.

I have also gotten a smattering of bluescreens, but those are about 5% of my total crashes.

Thanks!

WiggyWilliams

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011

Hey, i have no solutions to your problem but am replying because i have -the same exact problemt- of my own. Same card, bought from newegg. However i have a different motherboard and psu, as well as play WoW mostly. I just made a post earlier today asking for help, i wasnt sure if it was the card or other hardware. But after reading your post, im leaning towards it being a specifit problem with that series of cards from sapphire. If there is anyway we can help each other, or if i learn of a solution, ill pass it on. Good luck

likethesearchengine

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Athlon Micro/Sapphire tech support was willing to RMA the card, no questions asked beyond my basic explanation, which either indicates excellent support or knowledge of the existence of this problem.

However, once I got my card back, they haven't been very helpful. They suggested I put the card into another computer, as if I just have another rig sitting around which can take a 5870.

I said I would see if I could get a friend to help, but thats where I dropped it with them so far.

Now I am considering just upgrading my computer (and going with NVidia...)