Sign in with
Your question

Odd audio distortion and framerate drop in games

Last response: in Components
January 10, 2012 12:09:54 AM

I've noticed this occuring over the past 6 months or so. It first occured with the game "Monday Night Combat" after about 5-10 minutes of play my audio would being to distort, crackle, and my framerate would drop tremendously to unplayable rates. This is also now occuring with the following games: Tribes Ascend beta, Dungeon Defenders, Sanctum, and now also Bulletstorm. All my drivers are up to date, and i've also tried disabling my integraded sound card and using the one built into my soundblaster headset, but the problem remains. This is especially annoying as it seems to occur in all the games i bought to play with friends.

Computer specs: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHZ, 6 gigs of memory, Nvidia 460 Realtek HD built in sound card (attempted to disable this via bios and use a small external sound card, problem persisted).

Thank you so much for any help! I can supply information needed on request.
January 10, 2012 1:43:11 AM

i guess you have replaced all the drivers?. if so then i would guess that it was a heat issue but you have tried other outputs that will be further away from the boards main heat generating parts.
when it happens again. leave the game running and alt-tab out, goto control panel/system/device manager and see if a driver has failed (you will see a yellow ? next to anything that has no working driver) if thats all clear then try disconnecting your front jacks if you have em... its rare but sometimes the front jack wires can pick up and transfer signals back to the sound card/board which then cause distortion.

also make sure you disable any other audio that your not using. if its realtech you may want to turn off azalia codec in bios if its supported along with the realtech standard audio in the windows devices/audio tab. also any other hd audio that your gfx card may support via hdmi

m
l
January 10, 2012 4:03:06 AM

Could be that something is saturating the bus, though this seems unlikely with an integrated card.

You could also just be overheating. Try cleaning the dust out, or open the case and point a large floor fan at it, see if that helps. You didn't by any chance install ntune did you? (that can cause problems)
m
l
!