Sign in with
Your question
Solved

~$1800 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2011 3:16:52 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next 7 days.

Budget Range: $1500-1800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching/Steaming(Ps3MediaServer) movie and about 2 VM

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Preferred Newegg.com, but Amazon.com works.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: GPU: eVGA(unless recommend something else)
MB: Asus

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Equipment:
CPU:SB 2500k
MB:Asus P8P67 Deluxe
RAM:G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 2x4GB 1600
GPU:eVGA GeForce GTX580 Ti x2

Total: ~$1000

Added

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
PSU: Corsair HX1050W
HSF: Noctua NH-D14
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500G Sata 6.0gb/sx2

Total: ~$1500

Additional Comments:

I've decided to go with hdd (raid 1) rather than an sdd due to the price differences and I don't mind waiting a few extra seconds for a program to load.

I'd go with the Hyper 212 Evo, but I'd like to be on the safe side and take the NH-D14 when I'm overclocking the 2500k to 4.5

HDD: I'm still doing a bit of research on which type of HD to get. I'm currently debating if the Seagate 15k.7 is worth getting to do a raid 0, or 2x7200rpm hdd or sdd. I'd rather not use sdd, but if it's highly recommend I'll give it more thought.

PSU: Anything Module with the correct wattage will suffice

Liquid Cooling: I've never done this before, but I do plan on using this for both GPU and the CPU.
I'd like to have the LC inside the system if possible.

Case : I will add, once I figure everything else out.

^Total ~ 800, The lower the better.

I'd Like to oc the CPU to at least 4.2gh and possible push it to 4.5gh. I don't mind not using LC, if my rig will not overheat.

If there is anything wrong with the parts that I picked out. Please tell me why and which part would be a better choice.

More about : 1800 gaming

October 10, 2011 3:29:06 PM

I would probably pick a motherboard with PCI-E 3.0 support (such as the Asrock extreme gen3's)
As for drives, if you are prepared to spend as much as that 15000rpm, get an SSD instead. SSD's are way ahead on performance. Put the operating system and/or the games you want faster loading in on the SSD, Then the rest on regular 1TB HDD's in raid 0 perhaps. 2x spinpoint F3 is ~120$ a good 240GB SSD is about 400$ (in total, not much more than two 15000rpm)
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 3:35:11 PM

cutebeans said:
I think this is what you want

CPU+MOBO+HDD+PSU+CASE+RAM COMBO! $492
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

This combo will be the best for doing anything. A great case and i5-2500k. P67 mobo.

Just need to get a good video card :D 

The motherboard in that combo does not support SLI by the way. It comes with a crappy case and power supply too. I wouldn't bother.

I would absolutely suggest getting a SSD. Even if it is only a 64 gb, just put your OS and all your programs on it. Boot times are 3x faster and everything loads instantly. I have a 128 gb Crucial M4 SSD, it is MUCH better than raid0 of any HDD. Just get a SSD (size depending on how many games you want on it) plus a 1 TB HDD for mass storage.

If you are going to even consider liquid cooling, get a FULL atx case. I have the HAF 932 Advanced, it is made for a dual or triple radiator, with amazing air flow. Do yourself a favor and don't even look at mid tower cases, there is no reason unless you are on an extreme budget.
m
l
October 10, 2011 3:37:15 PM

Koogco, I don't plan on upgrading anything from this rig in the next 3 years. I do a new rig purchase about 2.5-3 years, So doing a PCI-E 3.0 Support won't make much, but that 60 dollar difference does look nice.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ssd, I might end up doing a raid 0 with them.
m
l
October 10, 2011 3:54:05 PM

kagebe said:
Koogco, I don't plan on upgrading anything from this rig in the next 3 years. I do a new rig purchase about 2.5-3 years, So doing a PCI-E 3.0 Support won't make much, but that 60 dollar difference does look nice.

Thanks for the recommendation on the ssd, I might end up doing a raid 0 with them.

I personally would not raid0 SSDs, unless you were using multiple for your only storage solution. If you are just using it for OS and programs plus main games, just get a single SSD. Raid0 would only be worth it on 2x 256 GB SSDs, or 4x 128 GB maybe. Its just a personal preferance, I did a little research on the speed increase but I don't think its that big of a deal for the massive cost increase. 512 GB of SSD storage will cost you at least $800
m
l
October 10, 2011 4:13:28 PM

I was planning on getting a full tower. If my tower is on carpet, would it be safe to have the PSU on the bottom? If not I might build a stand for it.

Does the PCI-e 3 matter, if I don't plan on upgrading the gpu.
m
l
October 10, 2011 5:42:58 PM

kagebe said:
I was planning on getting a full tower. If my tower is on carpet, would it be safe to have the PSU on the bottom? If not I might build a stand for it.

Does the PCI-e 3 matter, if I don't plan on upgrading the gpu.

Your power supply can be oriented two different ways. You can face the fan towards the bottom, so that it sucks in cold air from outside. Or you can face it towards the top so that it sucks in air from inside your case. Which way entirely depends on your case, and how hot it is inside it.

I have carpet in my room too, but I have several hardwood boards underneath my case so that it has plenty of space to suck in air. I have my PSU facing downward sucking air from outside, but the ambient temperature in my HAF 932 is only around 27C so I could do it either way. I have not checked the temperature of my PSU under load, but I don't think it makes a difference for me.

In regards to your motherboard, PCI-e 3.0 does not matter. Sandy Bridge processors do not support PCI-e 3.0 cards (correct me if im wrong?). The upcoming Ivy Bridge processors will have support for 3.0, but you will very likely need a different motherboard socket for it. I have no idea what sockets Ivy Bridge will be using, I think some will be compatible with 1155 but it will likely be only a select few. I really wouldn't even concern yourself with it, as you will not likely upgrade from sandy to ivy bridge.
m
l
October 10, 2011 7:11:39 PM

Unless your a enthusiast/hobbyist water cooling isn't where it's at with these Sandy Bridge cpu's. Anything after 4.4Ghz gives you minimal if any gains at all in regards to FPS.

Modular psu that just came out not long ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Certified-Perf... $114.49 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020003-NA

This cooler is new on the market, comes with excellent thermal compound, and allows to add another fan for a "push - pull" effect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $34.99 FREE SHIPPING
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0 and Ivy Bridge

Some cases to have a look at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <----- Corsair Carbide Series 500R & Corsair Carbide Series 400R

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Cases-Add-Ons-Computers/... <----- Get those cases here w/FREE SHIPPING
m
l
October 10, 2011 8:50:56 PM

@Why_me
Why is everyone suggesting asrock to use that exact mobo for this cpu?

is it honestly better than the p8p67 by Asus, beside the PCI-E 3.0 (I only plan on using a PCI-E 3.0 GPU, once I rebuild my machine in additional 3 years).

The reason why I would go over to LC because I will be SLI 2 560 Ti, cooling the CPU with liquid is just a plus having more stability with the OC, unless it is possible to OC to 4.4 without LC.
m
l
October 10, 2011 8:57:40 PM

kagebe said:
@Why_me
Why is everyone suggesting asrock to use that exact mobo for this cpu?

is it honestly better than the p8p67 by Asus, beside the PCI-E 3.0 (I only plan on using a PCI-E 3.0 GPU, once I rebuild my machine in additional 3 years).

The reason why I would go over to LC because I will be SLI 2 560 Ti, cooling the CPU with liquid is just a plus having more stability with the OC, unless it is possible to OC to 4.4 without LC.

You do not need liquid cooling for sandy bridge. Period. A decent air cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO are cheap and good) is more than enough to get very good temperatures regardless of clock speed and voltage. You need a case with good air flow though, preferably with a good front intake and back/top exaust. I highly recommend the Cooler Master HAF 932, its ~ $150 which is very cheap for full atx.

There is nothing wrong with Asus motherboards, I personally hate the look of them. I use a MSI Z68 GD55, which is a little cheaper than the Asrock Extreme 4. I don't know very much about Asrock though, they are very good quality for the price though.
m
l
October 10, 2011 9:18:11 PM

is there any reason to go with a z68 over a p67, so far from what I have been reading is that the z68 has on-cpu gpu support and sdd cache. I do plan on using an SDD for my os and few application.
m
l
October 10, 2011 9:20:51 PM

kagebe said:
is there any reason to go with a z68 over a p67, so far from what I have been reading is that the z68 has on-cpu gpu support and sdd cache. I do plan on using an SDD for my os and few application.

No, not really. The Z68 supports CPU chip graphics. So if your GPU ever gives out, you can still use your processor for graphics until you are back up and running. If you are comparing two boards that are roughly the same price, go Z68. There are a lot of good p67 boards, its just that the Z68 versions of them are not all that much more expensive.
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:18:03 PM

Updated the first post.
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:23:50 PM

ares640 said:
No, not really. The Z68 supports CPU chip graphics. So if your GPU ever gives out, you can still use your processor for graphics until you are back up and running. If you are comparing two boards that are roughly the same price, go Z68. There are a lot of good p67 boards, its just that the Z68 versions of them are not all that much more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $124.99
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- another look at that board
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:28:33 PM

@Why_me

I'd rather not go with ASrock, seeing how their warranty only covers 2 years and I'm not looking to future proof my computer.
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:52:33 PM

i love your choice in HSF, but if you dont plan on severely OC'ing that chip (above 5.0GHz), then the EVO will do just fine. Also, do you plan on running 3D graphics with triple monitor set-up? if not, a single GTX580 would be fine for anything out there. Call me silly, but id rather save $470 bucks and put it towards some games for that awesome rig you are about to build...
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:34:53 PM

@Casualbuilder

Yes, I do play on running a triple monitor setup. If you are 100% sure that the Evo will do perfectly fine running @ 4.5Ghz without have any tempature issue. I'll gladly switch over to the evo.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:49:25 PM

You can add another one of those CM 120mm Blademaster fans to that EVO for a "push - pull" effect which should bring the temps down another 2 celsius.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:57:22 PM

agreed ^

Also, now that i know you are going triple display...im disdainfully jealous.
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:13:41 PM

I'm thinking about switching to the z68 chipset. Can I get some recommendation on what type of mobo to go with.

(added)

As well, would there be any other video cards that would work better as sli? (Prefer NVidia)
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:25:28 PM

kagebe said:
I'm thinking about switching to the z68 chipset. Can I get some recommendation on what type of mobo to go with.

(added)

As well, would there be any other video cards that would work better as sli? (Prefer NVidia)

For a good Z68, go ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, MSI GD55 etc. Stay around the $150 range

GTX 560ti and GTX 570 Twin Frozr III editions are the sweet spot. You shouldn't need to SLI, but in the future you can pick up a second one for cheap that will be a huge performance bonus.
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:41:16 PM

I've been hearing that the Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, has been having issues with DoA and some other issues.

@ares640, the sli is for the tri-monitor.
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:44:11 PM

kagebe said:
I've been hearing that the Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3, has been having issues with DoA and some other issues.

Do you have a link to those extreme 3 issues or did you just "hear of it" ?
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:45:13 PM

kagebe said:

You are running a triple monitor setup? 3x 1080p?
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:56:20 PM

Yes, I'm going to be running a triple monitor setup all in 1080p
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:02:17 PM

kagebe said:
Yes, I'm going to be running a triple monitor setup all in 1080p

That changes things.. You need much more powerful cards to run triple monitor 1080p. I would recommend either SLI GTX 570, or for once in my life recommend crossfire 6970 for the extra Vram. Someone with more experience with triple monitor setups might be of more help though, I am just going by what I have read.
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:07:14 PM

@ares640, do you personally own an ASrock? how reliable are they? I'm worried about them not being reliable due to warranty and report of DoA being high and the bios issues.
m
l

Best solution

October 11, 2011 9:09:22 PM

kagebe said:
@ares640, do you personally own an ASrock? how reliable are they? I'm worried about them not being reliable due to warranty and report of DoA being high and the bios issues.

I have never used Asrock before, but I hear a lot of recommendations for them. I think the extreme 3 only comes with a 2 year warranty, but I am not sure about DOA or bios issues. I have the MSI Z68A-GD55 and am very satisfied for that.
October 11, 2011 11:10:28 PM

Best answer selected by kagebe.
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:11:13 PM

Thanks a bunch Ares640 and why_me
m
l
October 12, 2011 2:13:54 AM

kagebe said:
Thanks a bunch Ares640 and why_me

You're welcome. Enjoy your new parts!