Temps with AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Hi,I recently had purchased a custom assembled gaming computer. Here are the specs;

Motherboard : ASRock M3A770DE
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955e @ 3200MHz
Memory : 8gbs of DDR3 RAM
Video Card : GTX 560(Non ti version,not Overclocked)
Case : Master Cooler 310

Here is the situation. My temps for my processor is kinda high. I checked out two CPU temperature softwares and they give about the same feedback,which is,the minimum is 49C and the max is 53C idle. I'm using the stock cooler that came with the build. When I start to play Battlefield 3 it rises to about 61C to 65C. So I'm figuring that its time to get a new CPU cooler,right?

I'm come to the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and was wondering would that be a good fit for the case. Also,was wondering if I even need to upgrade. Thanks in advance to any replies.

Solution
More stress being put on your processor = higher the temp.

OCing can make a pretty nice difference in frame rates. Personally, I don't like any temps above 55. But, 65 isn't going to kill the chip.

If i were you, i'd get 212 evo and noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound.

Clean off the old compound with some paper towels/ 99% isopropyl alcohol, Put a rice sized amount of the thermal paste on the cpu and put on the 212 evo. Then replace the thermal compound on your 560 ( i find the compound they put on graphics cards is usually total crap), then OC them both.

If you do decide to do what i said, read a few guides on how to OC before you try it.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
If you can, you should get the 212 evo, slightly better than the 212+.

You don't HAVE to get a new heatsink, 65c isn't going to cause huge problems, but with a new heatsink, that will allow you to OC. You can get a nice 3.8ghz without even changing the voltage. Even with the 3.8 OC, you will most likely see tempts of around 52C at full load.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Does Overclocking you CPU improve Frames in games drastically? If I decide to wait a little while until I overclock will I be fine with the temperatures I'm getting now?

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
I have a 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560. Well,I opened up the task manager and looked at processors and it said 80% to 90%??????

Also,whenever I exit playing Battlefield 3 my temps are 40C. How?

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
More stress being put on your processor = higher the temp.

OCing can make a pretty nice difference in frame rates. Personally, I don't like any temps above 55. But, 65 isn't going to kill the chip.

If i were you, i'd get 212 evo and noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound.

Clean off the old compound with some paper towels/ 99% isopropyl alcohol, Put a rice sized amount of the thermal paste on the cpu and put on the 212 evo. Then replace the thermal compound on your 560 ( i find the compound they put on graphics cards is usually total crap), then OC them both.

If you do decide to do what i said, read a few guides on how to OC before you try it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.