I5-2500k running 60C in BIOS on ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunatyck

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
(this is a x-post from rog.asus.com)

Hi everyone.

So far, this build has been from hell it seems. After waiting over 2 weeks for all the parts to come in, I put my computer together yesterday. Of course, it didn't boot. It showed a red LED for CPU and after some troubleshooting, I found out I was the lucky guy to get a DOA processor. So I went and exchanged it for a brand new i5-2500k. This time, I also bought a coolermaster heat sink and installed it with my new processor. Good news is that it finally boots into BIOS. The bad news is, this CPU is running hotter than the sun. So I figured that maybe this was just a bad heatsink, so I decided to put the stock one on. Same story, actually the stock one was 5 degrees hotter. I reset the mobo memory, I did not do any sort of overclocking, it is simply running extremely hot upon the first boot(s) into BIOS.

Can anyone help me with what might be going wrong? Here is a list of my parts:

Maximus IV Extreme - Z
intel i5-2500k
nvidia gtx 560ti
2x 4GB Kingston HyperX 1666mhz RAM
Rosewill 950W PSU
750GB 7200 RPM HDD
Xigmatek Pantheon Case

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first build alone and I look forward to your responses.

-Konrad

Edit: The mobo has a red VGA LED light and 62 (or B2?) code. Earlier, it was showing a 38 (3B) code and wouldn't boot into BIOS. IDK if any of this helps..

Solution
Yeah there is nothing wrong at all. CPU's always run WAY hotter in the BIOS than they do during almost anything else short of a Prime95 burn test.

The temperature won't be nearly that high when you are installing windows. And anyways, 60c isn't even that close to the danger zone for a 2500k. It looks alarming, but you'll be idling in the low 30's once you have windows installed no problem. (My 2500k reads mid 50's in the BIOS, but idles mid 20's in windows running @4.2)

lunatyck

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I'm afraid to install Windows when the CPU is running that hot while doing nothing in BIOS because I fear that during installation the CPU will hit 80+ C which is dangerous.

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

try aftermarket heatsink, like from cooler master, antec, corsair or the best zalman cnps. if u on budget try corsair h80 or cm hyper 612 pwm.both are very good coolers.

:love: :love: :love:

ps, usually asus mobos are heat machines. so it is recomended to use after market coolers for high end rigs.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Yeah there is nothing wrong at all. CPU's always run WAY hotter in the BIOS than they do during almost anything else short of a Prime95 burn test.

The temperature won't be nearly that high when you are installing windows. And anyways, 60c isn't even that close to the danger zone for a 2500k. It looks alarming, but you'll be idling in the low 30's once you have windows installed no problem. (My 2500k reads mid 50's in the BIOS, but idles mid 20's in windows running @4.2)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.