Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newbie to Bluetooth

Last response: in Technologies
Share
October 2, 2004 9:59:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Hi all!

I'm new to Bluetooth and want to clarify a few things. I hope someone could
help :) 

1. Does Bluetooth connect to devices separated by, say, a wall?

2. Some Bluetooth USB adapters claim they have a range of 100m! If I had one
of these in my bedroom could I connect to any Bluetooth enabled devices in
my househo, including upstairs and downstairs devices (assuming they are are
within 100m radius)?!

Thanks :D 

More about : newbie bluetooth

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 10:42:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:59:43 +0100, 888 wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm new to Bluetooth and want to clarify a few things. I hope someone could
> help :) 
>
> 1. Does Bluetooth connect to devices separated by, say, a wall?

Generally yes, but it depends on what the walls are constructed of.
Steel reinforced concrete walls will reduces the working range greatly.
Ordinary brick, breezeblock, timber and plasterboard still has some
effect on the range however.

> 2. Some Bluetooth USB adapters claim they have a range of 100m! If I had one
> of these in my bedroom could I connect to any Bluetooth enabled devices in
> my househo, including upstairs and downstairs devices (assuming they are are
> within 100m radius)?!

How big is your house and what is it constructed of, Reinforced concrete
floors and walls etc. ??

Remember that 100M radius is a line-of-sight distance.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:47:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Michael turner wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:59:43 +0100, 888 wrote:
>
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>>I'm new to Bluetooth and want to clarify a few things. I hope someone could
>>help :) 
>>
>>1. Does Bluetooth connect to devices separated by, say, a wall?
>
>
> Generally yes, but it depends on what the walls are constructed of.
> Steel reinforced concrete walls will reduces the working range greatly.
> Ordinary brick, breezeblock, timber and plasterboard still has some
> effect on the range however.
>
>
>>2. Some Bluetooth USB adapters claim they have a range of 100m! If I had one
>>of these in my bedroom could I connect to any Bluetooth enabled devices in
>>my househo, including upstairs and downstairs devices (assuming they are are
>>within 100m radius)?!
>
>
> How big is your house and what is it constructed of, Reinforced concrete
> floors and walls etc. ??
>
> Remember that 100M radius is a line-of-sight distance.
>


Also "any Bluetooth enabled devices..." is rather strong.. you must take into account 10m devices

read as...

If I had one of these in my bedroom I could to any Bluetooth enabled devices in my house, including upstairs and
downstairs devices (assuming 10m devices are within 10 meters and 100m devices are within 100m)

your range is limited to the range of the lowest powered device of the pair.

HTH

Rob
Related resources
October 3, 2004 12:50:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.02.17.42.23.113000@grfpb.arg...
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:59:43 +0100, 888 wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I'm new to Bluetooth and want to clarify a few things. I hope someone
>> could
>> help :) 
>>
>> 1. Does Bluetooth connect to devices separated by, say, a wall?
>
> Generally yes, but it depends on what the walls are constructed of.
> Steel reinforced concrete walls will reduces the working range greatly.
> Ordinary brick, breezeblock, timber and plasterboard still has some
> effect on the range however.
>
>> 2. Some Bluetooth USB adapters claim they have a range of 100m! If I had
>> one
>> of these in my bedroom could I connect to any Bluetooth enabled devices
>> in
>> my househo, including upstairs and downstairs devices (assuming they are
>> are
>> within 100m radius)?!
>
> How big is your house and what is it constructed of, Reinforced concrete
> floors and walls etc. ??
>
> Remember that 100M radius is a line-of-sight distance.
>

Thanks for your reply!

Just ordinary brink I guess. So should be fine. Just ordered one.

Thanks!
October 3, 2004 4:08:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Rob Shepherd" <robshep@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:cjn0l2$jnc$1@fantastix.bangor.ac.uk...
> Michael turner wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 17:59:43 +0100, 888 wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi all!
>>>
>>>I'm new to Bluetooth and want to clarify a few things. I hope someone
>>>could help :) 
>>>
>>>1. Does Bluetooth connect to devices separated by, say, a wall?
>>
>>
>> Generally yes, but it depends on what the walls are constructed of.
>> Steel reinforced concrete walls will reduces the working range greatly.
>> Ordinary brick, breezeblock, timber and plasterboard still has some
>> effect on the range however.
>>
>>
>>>2. Some Bluetooth USB adapters claim they have a range of 100m! If I had
>>>one of these in my bedroom could I connect to any Bluetooth enabled
>>>devices in my househo, including upstairs and downstairs devices
>>>(assuming they are are within 100m radius)?!
>>
>>
>> How big is your house and what is it constructed of, Reinforced concrete
>> floors and walls etc. ??
>>
>> Remember that 100M radius is a line-of-sight distance.
>>
>
>
> Also "any Bluetooth enabled devices..." is rather strong.. you must take
> into account 10m devices
>
> read as...
>
> If I had one of these in my bedroom I could to any Bluetooth enabled
> devices in my house, including upstairs and downstairs devices (assuming
> 10m devices are within 10 meters and 100m devices are within 100m)
>
> your range is limited to the range of the lowest powered device of the
> pair.
>
> HTH
>
> Rob

What would happen if I see other unknown devices around my area - like
devices belonging to a member of the neighbours/pedestrian? ;) 

I read some time ago that people could talk to each other anonymously
through Bluetooth! That true?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:20:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote in message
news:ndidnalqSet8qcLcRVn-jg@eclipse.net.uk...
>
SNIP

>
> What would happen if I see other unknown devices around my area - like
> devices belonging to a member of the neighbours/pedestrian? ;) 
>
> I read some time ago that people could talk to each other anonymously
> through Bluetooth! That true?

You can only connect to those devices that you discover that you know the
passcode to or are left "open" to allow unsecured connections. Generally
speaking you're probably not going to find too many of the latter.

Cheers
TC
October 3, 2004 3:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2BH7d.1168$UP1.795@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote in message
> news:ndidnalqSet8qcLcRVn-jg@eclipse.net.uk...
>>
> SNIP
>
>>
>> What would happen if I see other unknown devices around my area - like
>> devices belonging to a member of the neighbours/pedestrian? ;) 
>>
>> I read some time ago that people could talk to each other anonymously
>> through Bluetooth! That true?
>
> You can only connect to those devices that you discover that you know the
> passcode to or are left "open" to allow unsecured connections. Generally
> speaking you're probably not going to find too many of the latter.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
>

How many attempts could I make at guessing the passcode before it gets
'locked'?

How do I set my passcode?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:55:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Often the number of attempts is not specified - what's specified is the TIME
the device is left open when pairing.

Open devices just connect with/or without code for pairing. Many Audio
Headsets use a fixed code, such as 0000.

How do you set a passcode, it's in the options for the drivers on the PC, or
on the device itself, or fixed.

> How many attempts could I make at guessing the passcode before it gets
> 'locked'?
>
> How do I set my passcode?
October 4, 2004 2:20:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Sheppy" <spam@awshepherd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:415fe8ac$0$29943$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Often the number of attempts is not specified - what's specified is the
> TIME the device is left open when pairing.
>
> Open devices just connect with/or without code for pairing. Many Audio
> Headsets use a fixed code, such as 0000.
>
> How do you set a passcode, it's in the options for the drivers on the PC,
> or on the device itself, or fixed.
>
>> How many attempts could I make at guessing the passcode before it gets
>> 'locked'?
>>
>> How do I set my passcode?
>
>

I still can't find a way to set the passcode for my mobile phone...makes me
worried that other people could see my device! :( 
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:08:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"888" <UAC@marstation.mars.com> wrote in message
news:zpydnZviGIVm8f3cRVn-jg@eclipse.net.uk...
>
SNIP

>
> I still can't find a way to set the passcode for my mobile phone...makes
> me worried that other people could see my device! :( 


My Sony Ericsson T68i always prompts for a passcode. The passcode is
whatever you want it to be you just have to have the same one on both ends
of the connection. Perhaps your phone is set the same way?

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 2:26:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

888 wrote:
> What would happen if I see other unknown devices around my area - like
> devices belonging to a member of the neighbours/pedestrian? ;) 
>
> I read some time ago that people could talk to each other anonymously
> through Bluetooth! That true?
>
>

To use any services or get at any data there will be a password exchange between devices
So both parties can manually allow/gain access to the other device.

But at a lower level, the devices can contact each other to exchange link data etc before services are used.

One service that does not require a password is Object Push for Vcard data.
Many phones allow transporting Vcard (contact) data through SMS,BT,IrDA, and this is considered non-sensitive.
How dangerous is it to give somebody a contact (you can do it through SMS so why force authentication/authorisation with BT)

You can therefore send anonymous messages by pushing a contact on to another BT phone. use tel. num. 0 and enter your
message into the namee,address fields.

Obviously the recipient can just ignore the message up recipt and it's all a bit childish....

google for bluejacking

Rob
!