Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My 1st PC build and i need opinions about that parts pls help

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 10, 2011 7:08:21 PM

Hi everyone. This is my 1st ever build. i want to build myself my PC so to save money and avoid bloatwares. guys i also want to know if the parts are compatible. I will use my PC mainly for gaming, internet, listening to music and watching videos. I made a list of the parts im going to buy in a local store here in Montreal, Canada. I prefer to buy it locally. no plans of overclocking my cpu or gpu.
here are the parts + links:

1. CPU : https://www.pcczone.com/intel-i5-2500-3-3ghz-sandy-brid...

2. mobo
Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H LGA1155 DDR3 Motherboard MATX
https://www.pcczone.com/gigabyte-ga-z68m-d2h-lga1155-dd...


3. EVGA GeForce GTX 460 External Exhaust 1024MB DDR5 01G-P3-1371-AR Video Card
https://www.pcczone.com/computer-hardware/video-cards/e...

4. RAM
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Memory
https://www.pcczone.com/corsair-vengeance-8gb-ddr3-1600...

5. HDD WD 500GB
https://www.pcczone.com/catalog/product/view/id/7760/s/...

6. Optical drive
https://www.pcczone.com/catalog/product/view/id/7973/s/...

7. CASE CM Storm Enforcer
https://www.pcczone.com/cooler-master-storm-enforcer-sg...

8. Power Supply Corsair 650w $117.75
https://www.pcczone.com/computer-hardware/power-supply/...

9 . Asus Wireless N Router ( we still have our 3 yrs old HP Desktop which is using the Modem so that is why i will buy this.)
https://www.pcczone.com/networking/wireless-networking/...

any feedback will be appreciated. thank you :) 
October 10, 2011 7:47:08 PM

not a bad system, but I'd consider a HD 6850, which is a little cheaper and a little faster than the 460.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 9:16:52 PM

Oh boy.. where to begin.

CPU: Unless you are 100% sure that you will never ever want to overclock your processor, get the 2500k instead. The K means it has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can overclock to your hearts content. The processor you have selected has ZERO ability to overclock. Just saying, its only $10 more.

Motherboard: I would avoid micro ATX motherboards, there is no reason to get one unless you are aiming for a very small case. Get a good SLI mobo for $150, it will be well worth the money. Suggestions: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3, MSI Z68 GD55 etc

GPU: Please, please do not get a GTX 460. There is nothing wrong with the card, but it is very outdated for the price. On the site you listed, it costs $183. For $199 you can get a much better GTX 560, or for $219 you could get an even much better GTX 560 ti. Your looking at a 25-40% increase in performance. (I don't have stats on me right now to confirm exactly how much)

RAM: I use the exact same ram, good choice. You can get it for $25 cheaper on Newegg though. If you are getting a wide CPU heatsink, you may want to get low profile ram. It has the exact same performance, the fins on the ram do not help all that much. It is mostly for looks.

HDD: Massively overpriced. You can get a 1TB HDD for $50-60 easily.

Get a custom CPU cooler. The stock cooler is dreadful. For $35-40 you can get a very good cooler that will do wonders for your CPU temps. Highly recommend the Cooler Master EVO or Hyper 212+. Cheap and very effective.

Everything else seems fine. Case looks good, highly recommend Cooler Master. Corsair and Seasonic are the best PSU makers, 650 watt is good for a single GPU. If you want to SLI, you will need a 750 or 850 watt though.

You could save a lot of money if you buy online from newegg for example. The only thing that costs a lot to ship is the case, which you could buy locally instead, or find one with free shipping.

m
0
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 9:32:58 PM

thank you guys for the reply and suggestions. i do agree with the hd 6850 or gtx 560 and Ti version and other parts. i will search more here in stores or try to buy online. once again thx guys :) 
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 9:35:14 PM

snowdawn said:
thank you guys for the reply and suggestions. i do agree with the hd 6850 or gtx 560 and Ti version and other parts. i will search more here in stores or try to buy online. once again thx guys :) 


Have a look at this thread for some good suggestions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323299-31-1200-1400-g...
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 9:50:34 PM

ditch the Gigabyte motherboard for an Asrock or something with UEFI instead of BIOS, and something that will be compatable with future Ivy Bridge CPU's.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 10:59:44 PM

ares640 said:
Oh boy.. where to begin.

CPU: Unless you are 100% sure that you will never ever want to overclock your processor, get the 2500k instead. The K means it has an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can overclock to your hearts content. The processor you have selected has ZERO ability to overclock. Just saying, its only $10 more.

Motherboard: I would avoid micro ATX motherboards, there is no reason to get one unless you are aiming for a very small case. Get a good SLI mobo for $150, it will be well worth the money. Suggestions: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3, MSI Z68 GD55 etc

GPU: Please, please do not get a GTX 460. There is nothing wrong with the card, but it is very outdated for the price. On the site you listed, it costs $183. For $199 you can get a much better GTX 560, or for $219 you could get an even much better GTX 560 ti. Your looking at a 25-40% increase in performance. (I don't have stats on me right now to confirm exactly how much)

RAM: I use the exact same ram, good choice. You can get it for $25 cheaper on Newegg though. If you are getting a wide CPU heatsink, you may want to get low profile ram. It has the exact same performance, the fins on the ram do not help all that much. It is mostly for looks.

HDD: Massively overpriced. You can get a 1TB HDD for $50-60 easily.

Get a custom CPU cooler. The stock cooler is dreadful. For $35-40 you can get a very good cooler that will do wonders for your CPU temps. Highly recommend the Cooler Master EVO or Hyper 212+. Cheap and very effective.

Everything else seems fine. Case looks good, highly recommend Cooler Master. Corsair and Seasonic are the best PSU makers, 650 watt is good for a single GPU. If you want to SLI, you will need a 750 or 850 watt though.

You could save a lot of money if you buy online from newegg for example. The only thing that costs a lot to ship is the case, which you could buy locally instead, or find one with free shipping.

The gtx 560 is the most worthless thing ever. It's just an overclocked 460. you're better off saving money by buying a 460 and upgrading later, though a 560 ti would be a good choice
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 11:02:19 PM

morgoth780 said:
The gtx 560 is the most worthless thing ever. It's just an overclocked 460. you're better off saving money by buying a 460 and upgrading later, though a 560 ti would be a good choice


Yes that is actually true when I think about it.
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 11:05:38 PM

ares640 said:
Yes that is actually true when I think about it.

granted, if you don't want to overclock at all, the 560 is decently more powerful than a stock 460. a 560ti would definitely be worth the extra cash
m
0
l
!