HD 5770 spinning very fast/loudly on startup

daanodinot

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi,

This hasn't bothered me too much in the beginning, but after several months it has become rather annoying. For some reason my GPU is spinning uncontrollably fast at startup and 1-2 minutes after startup. Not only is the spinning itself very loud, the rest of my PC seems to resonate with the sound too. The resulting noise is close to unbearable.

I'm wondering what could cause this. It seems like it takes a while before the driver gets a hold of the card. Anyway, here's what I'm using:

XFX HD Radeon 5770
Dell XPS 410/Dimension 9200 (all stock components except for extra SSD and GPU of course)
Windows 7 x64
Catalyst 11.7 (latest)

Hoping for some suggestions! Thanks!

1-2 minutes is a bit much i certainly know that they do do that for maybe 10 seconds or so at start up. The reason is that they made it do it as a way of shifting settled dust at start up.
It didn't catch on and i believe that they don't do it any more.

I would think your best bet is to fit a third part cooler. Plenty on "How to" guides on line.

Mactronix :)

daanodinot

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Alright, thanks! At least I know now that it's kinda normal.. I'll maybe look for a cooler yes... I'm not sure, because the temperatures are fine, it's only noise. But if I find a pretty cheap one I might go for it.