Apple Macintosh OSX / UNIX Forum

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Why isn't there a forum category for Apple's Mac OSX? Or Mac OS anything?

Tom's has 5 dedicated categories (and several sub-categories) for Windows in the software forums, and a dedicated category (plus sub-categories) for Linux.

We can all see there are lots of Macintosh members here @ Tom's. Just look at the emotional vitriol exchanged between members in any news blog on Tom's that just mentions Apple's name. Despite what Apple's marketing may suggest, Mac users have many of the same tech questions as Windows users: network security, video conferencing, remote access, hardware replacement, wireless peripherals, storage networks, etc. but interact with their computers using a different interface.

More than 10% of the computers in use are Macs; how can Tom's afford to ignore over 10% of the worlds technology users?

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I agree. Other than apple products that PC users own (i.e. iPhones and iPods) there's nowhere to go for discussions on Mac hardware, software, or accessories. It'd be nice if there was a place for Mac specific questions and discussions to take place so they don't become buried in the PC forums.

Personally I work in both worlds. At the office, I manage 100+ PCs and at home I run a 90% Apple network. I think there are allot of people here who, like me, live in both worlds.

The other thing I'd bring up is that the forum isn't fully Mac compatible. Safari isn't able to render all of the forum functionality and Firefox is marginally better.

I know there are Mac specific forums out there (like the apple forums & the maccast forum), but it'd be nice to have this forum really cover everything tech. I mean there are groups for nearly every sector of technology I can think of, except Apple/Mac.

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

:pfff: You're an idiot if you think all Mac users are non-techies. Percentage-wise I'd say the vast majority of PC users wouldn't know a USB port from an Ethernet port. I'd say it's 50/50 for Mac users.

I think people can tell they are different shapes so not the best example.

Simple fact is that mac's are of no importance to a site like toms or these forums. If a section is to go anywhere it should be with the other pre-builts.

I have said it before and it is true.

Mekugi Ana

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
It's a great example! That was my whole point. For most users you'd have to explain which is which. I can't count the times I've had to say, "Now plug that cable into the slot that looks like a telephone jack, only wider..."

It's not such a simple fact at all. A Mac Pro is packed with server grade tech and is as configurable as any PC, barring building one from scratch. And that last exception is a benefit rather than a hindrance. It makes it possible for programmers to expect consistent results from every line of code.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not alluding that Macs are better; just that Mac users can have just as many hardware/software questions as any PC user and that a couple forums dedicated to that fact would be a good idea.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Even if only a small fraction of Tom's members have Mac related questions, I'm sure its a large enough base to warrant a corner in these forums. After all, Tom's has forums for working out at the gym, religion, TV shows, and many other non-technology related pursuits.

Obviously a Mac specific forum isn't going to be targeting users like yourself, strangestranger. On the contrary; ignorant, anti-Apple lemmings like you will be targeting the forum as a place to waste your time posting countless jabs at Apple users.

I have since had a change of heart. Having a place where we can keep an eye on these deviants might be a good idea, raise the IQ of the other forums.

Kinda like a concentration camp, a ghetto. Somewhere we can cleanse of these filth.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Not unless it's a *cough* Hackintosh *cough* forum.

A Mac Pro is packed with server grade tech
o_rly.jpg

Not unless it's a *cough* Hackintosh *cough* forum.
http://www.osx86project.org/

bob_vicktor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

@strangerstranger
Congratulations, you have single handedly made me consider never coming back to the TomsHardware forums. You should be proud, oh wait, I know you are. Never-mind then.

How can anyone say they aren't ignorant, yet completely ignore the opinions of millions of computer users worldwide? The fact is, there are a LOT of people out there that love Macs, don't you think that there is at least a chance that some of them are technology enthusiasts?

I may not know quite as much about computers as you do, but I would say that might have something to do with the fact that I grew up in a farm house 40 minutes from the closest respectable city and dial-up for internet. But of course, you aren't ignorant, so that means you know that it is actually because I grew up using a Mac.

I will give you one point however. Apple as we know it now isn't the same company I grew up with. Steve Jobs may have saved Apple (we won't get into that here), but since his return their lack of hardware support is sad, as well as the lack of a true customizable desktop. The iMac is great for the average user (for whom it is targeted for), and the MacPro is well known in the Workstation market, but neither are perfect. 512mb 4870 in a workstation anybody? How about overpriced bto options?

Yeah, I don't like it either, but it doesn't change the fact that people that use Apple computers are just that, people. And everyone should be given the respect they deserve. And before you ask, I may seem like a hypocrite for not giving you the respect you deserve, but you lost my respect a long time ago.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
i've got homebuilt XP and Vista machines. i've got a sweet, 10-year old Compaq 5070 (yeah the one with its little tummy sticking out) running Debian. and i live in the real world and make a respectable living supporting Red Hat, Debian, Windows and Mac. it does seem a little silly for a cool internet destination full of enthusiasts like Tom's to have so many Windows forums (one for each version) and not have a Mac forum.

i'd welcome it alongside Tom's other great forums.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
That's a really interesting observation from Tom's in France.
I don't think I'm going to sit here and browse through all of the Tom's forums worldwide, but I wonder how many of the other Tom's have Mac forums too?