dreamcast mame? where do i get it? please help a newbie!

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?

Will I need me DC to be chipped?

and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?

thanks!

paul

FooAtari

paulturner@hotmail.com (Paul Turner) wrote in

> My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
> there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>
> Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>
> and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?
>
> thanks!
>
> paul

Man you just asking for trouble asking how to get copied games around
here. Although their is a few freebies likes Beats of Rage and other
Homebrews, and also games like Half-Life and Propellar arena that were
never released. These games are self booting so you dont need yor DC
chipped. DC games can be picked up dirt cheap from eBay, GamesStation
and most second hand shops like Cash Converters.

Try here:
http://www.dchomebrew.org/
and here:
http://www.dcemulation.com/

for info on emulating on the DC.

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

guys guys guys - hold your horses! I didn't mention once "pirate"
games did I?!

I appreciate your help here, but really (like I put in my post) I was
mainly interested in MAME stuff, and really just genuinely intertested
how the whole thing works regarding making your own cd's for the DC.

Please don't be so quick to judge for goodness sake!

thanks for the links and help though!

P.

"Paul Turner" <paulturner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
> there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>
> Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>
> and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?

As someone pointed out, you won't get help about pirating games here.
In general, chipping a Dreamcast is pointless, games are either autobooting
or need a boot disk (look for Utopia 1.1 or 1.2).
There are a lot of emulators for DC, including some versions of Mame, but
they don't run so many games.
Also, there are some decent homebrew games.
Links to start from:

http://www.dcemulation.com/
http://www.boob.co.uk/
http://consolevision.com/dreamcast/
http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/forums/YaBB.cgi

AS

Paul Turner wrote:

> My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
> there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>
> Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>
> and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?
>
> thanks!
>
> paul
ok, you're excited. you've got 3 dreamcasts. but dont ask the questions
for each dreamcast , i.e. 3 times..

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

if you're serious, try this source:

http://www.morbidbackups.net
morbid2k3@hotmail.com

morbid has these:
-80's MAME WOWPack ROM Disc (
-MAMED DC (MAME EMU w/ 325 ROMS)

hope that helps.

Amedeo Storni wrote:

> As someone pointed out, you won't get help about pirating games here.

As your *peers* pointed out, asking for pirated games makes you an *ass*!

Subtle enough? ;)

--
| Mark McDougall | "Electrical Engineers do it
| <http://to be announced> | with less resistance!"

FooAtari

> guys guys guys - hold your horses! I didn't mention once "pirate"
> games did I?!
>
> I appreciate your help here, but really (like I put in my post) I was
> mainly interested in MAME stuff, and really just genuinely intertested
> how the whole thing works regarding making your own cd's for the DC.
>
> Please don't be so quick to judge for goodness sake!
>
> thanks for the links and help though!
>
> P.
>

> FooAtari <alistair_fraser81REMOVE@THISyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> paulturner@hotmail.com (Paul Turner) wrote in
>>
>> > My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games.
>> > Is there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>> >
>> > Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>> >
>> > and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?
>> >
>> > thanks!
>> >
>> > paul
>> >

>> Man you just asking for trouble asking how to get copied games around
>> here. Although their is a few freebies likes Beats of Rage and other
>> Homebrews, and also games like Half-Life and Propellar arena that
>> were never released. These games are self booting so you dont need
>> yor DC chipped. DC games can be picked up dirt cheap from eBay,
>> GamesStation and most second hand shops like Cash Converters.
>>
>> Try here:
>> http://www.dchomebrew.org/
>> and here:
>> http://www.dcemulation.com/
>>
>> for info on emulating on the DC.

Ok, sorry.

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

What's your email address ?

I sent you an email and it bounced back...

"Paul Turner" <paulturner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
> there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>
> Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>
> and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?
>
> thanks!
>
> paul

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

hey man.....u still looking for Dreamcast games to burn onto CD-R and play
in ur Dreamcast?.....

i can help

s8n

"Paul Turner" <paulturner@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My girlfriend just gave me her Dreamcast, but I only have 3 games. Is
> there anywhere to download games and burn them onto CD to play?
>
> Will I need me DC to be chipped?
>
> and where can i get mame for the dreamcast and how does it work?
>
> thanks!
>
> paul

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Sorry about the multiple posting - Google is being strange I think...

Thanks for all your help so far everyone.... but I had loads of
problems...

first off, I thought it would be simple enough to download the
DCPhoenix emu from

http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-dcphoenix.htm

I downloaded the Disk Jugger selfboot ZIP file, uncompressed it to
cdi, and then used Disk Jugger to burn it onto a good quality CDR
(Verbatim) using my Philips CDR/CDRW drive, using a recording speed of
8x just to be safe. I followed all the instructions I found here:

http://www.dcemulation.com/newhelp/dj3burn.php?item=DC%20Phoenix%200.5&filename=dc-phoenix05DJ.zip&imagefile=dcphoenix5_selfboot.cdi

But when I tried it in my DC it didn't play it just wirred a bit and
eventually went to the DC settings screen.

Not one to give up I thought maybe my Philips CD writer wasn't
compatible with Disk Juggler (even though it 'appeared' to work fine
during the burn) so next I went down a NERO road....

I chose Paperboy, the single game emu from this page:

http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-SGA.htm

I downloaded the Paperboy sbi file and then downloaded self-boot
inducer. I followed the instuctions I found here:

http://consolevision.com/dreamcast/tuts/burnsbis/

and used NERO to burn the image it created from sbi again onto a
Verbatim CDR and again using my Philips Internal IDE CD writer drive
and again at 8x.

When I tried the CD in my DC the same thing happened! It just whirrs
and then goto the menu screen. If I select "play" it doesn't want to
know.

The DC works fine with proper games - so what's going on???!! My DC
is PAL so I assume it plays CDR stuff no probs....

Please please please help me!

thanks!

> Sorry about the multiple posting - Google is being strange I think...
>
> Thanks for all your help so far everyone.... but I had loads of
> problems...
>
> first off, I thought it would be simple enough to download the
> DCPhoenix emu from
>
> http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-dcphoenix.htm
>
> I downloaded the Disk Jugger selfboot ZIP file, uncompressed it to
> cdi, and then used Disk Jugger to burn it onto a good quality CDR
> (Verbatim) using my Philips CDR/CDRW drive, using a recording speed of
> 8x just to be safe. I followed all the instructions I found here:

http://www.dcemulation.com/newhelp/dj3burn.php?item=DC%20Phoenix%200.5&filename=dc-phoenix05DJ.zip&imagefile=dcphoenix5_selfboot.cdi

> But when I tried it in my DC it didn't play it just wirred a bit and
> eventually went to the DC settings screen.
>
> Not one to give up I thought maybe my Philips CD writer wasn't
> compatible with Disk Juggler (even though it 'appeared' to work fine
> during the burn) so next I went down a NERO road....
>
> I chose Paperboy, the single game emu from this page:
>
> http://www.dcemulation.com/dcemu-SGA.htm
>
> I downloaded the Paperboy sbi file and then downloaded self-boot
> inducer. I followed the instuctions I found here:
>
> http://consolevision.com/dreamcast/tuts/burnsbis/
>
> and used NERO to burn the image it created from sbi again onto a
> Verbatim CDR and again using my Philips Internal IDE CD writer drive
> and again at 8x.
>
> When I tried the CD in my DC the same thing happened! It just whirrs
> and then goto the menu screen. If I select "play" it doesn't want to
> know.
>
> The DC works fine with proper games - so what's going on???!! My DC
> is PAL so I assume it plays CDR stuff no probs....
>
> Please please please help me!
>
> thanks!

How to ensure a successful burn:

Use Nero 5.5.10.42 (or a newer 5.5.x.x) whenever possible. Older 5.5.x.x
versions of Nero may have problems with the images, so if you encounter
strange errors - particularly an "Unexpected Exception," but also
misreported image sizes - you will have to update. Even 5.5.9.x is probably
too old already.
Turn any and all wizards off, and ensure that Nero is running in full mode
rather than Express mode (whether you use a registered version or the 30-day
trial). Otherwise, important options may not be accessible to you.
To set up Nero for overburning, select the Expert Features tab in the
Preferences dialog, enable overburning and set the overburn time to
82:00:00.
From the File menu, select "Burn Image," and once you load the .nrg image,
!!!MAKE SURE!!! to set the write method to Disc-At-Once/96 (the 96 is key
here). This is necessary for correct session offsets, otherwise your DC will
not boot the burned CD (even with the help of a boot disc). Regular
Disc-At-Once may in some instances work fine (depending on your PC setup and
CDRW drive) but is not guaranteed. As a matter of fact, regular DAO does not
allow overburning whereas DAO/96 does. One exception applies, however:
According to the latest feedback I've gotten, Nero 6 Ultra DOES work well
for Dreamcast games. The trick is that you have to use DAO instead of DAO/96
to burn the image correctly - the exact OPPOSITE of what you should do in
Nero 5.5! This is a bit surprising, but they seem to have made changes in
the burning engine fundamental enough to warrant this. So, to recap: When
using Nero 5.5, burn in DAO/96. When using Nero 6, burn in DAO only!

Other options:

Alcohol 120% appears to be a favorite alternative among users for burning
Nero images. You should use RAW-DAO mode, rather than RAW-SAO, for burning.
Since I've never used Alcohol 120%, I'm not aware of any other options that
may need set.
DaemonTools may be used to mount an .nrg image and burn it with DiscJuggler
or the like, if you're more comfortable with that method.

ENJOY!!

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame,rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

Paul buzz me on s8n@iprimus.com.au if u want me to tell u where u can DL DC
games (not emus or homebrew).....

s8n