Toolbars Being Reset

July 28, 2004 3:41:59 PM

I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
same?

More about : toolbars reset

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 7:17:36 PM

Eric--

See these at:

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings (Line 30)

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

Chad Harris

"Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
>I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
> toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
> his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
> the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
> same?
July 29, 2004 5:51:42 AM

Hi Eric,

See if this helps:

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
>I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
> toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
> his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
> the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
> same?
July 29, 2004 3:17:47 PM

Eric,

Lock the toolbar and close IE. If the settings are not saved, read below:

If you are using a HP/Compaq PC, click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the entry named "Autotkit.exe" [if exists]. Restart Windows. If this does not help, download the fix from HP [Only for HP computers with Windows XP]

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Customized View Settings on the Internet Explorer Toolbar Revert to Default Settings After Restarting the Computer
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL5097/pv-17688...

[From HP: This update fixes an issue causing a user's customized settings in Internet Explorer to be undone when restarting the PC. Removes AutoTKit from the PC startup process]

Other option is to reset the Toolbar position in the registry using this fix:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm

[Close all browser windows and apply the fix]

Deletes "ITBarLayout" value in the following registry key; Resets Toolbar, Addressbar positions to defaults.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]

Another possibility: Search your computer for a file called fash.exe. Rename this file to something else, say old_fash.exe. Before that you may need to terminate any running instances of this application from Task Manager.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message news:5e8001c474d2$90e69040$a301280a@phx.gbl...
I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
same?
July 29, 2004 3:17:48 PM

Toolbar or Taskbar?

--

[...]

July 29, 2004 4:45:08 PM

IE Toolbar settings.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:o a0gxjTdEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Toolbar or Taskbar?

--
[...]

July 29, 2004 4:50:10 PM

>> toolsbars at the bottom

Umm. I misunderstood the question probably.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23j0cGtTdEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
IE Toolbar settings.

--
[...]

July 29, 2004 7:00:46 PM

Eric,

If you're referring to the Taskbar (Toolbars in the Taskbar) settings, read below:

It's might be caused by a malware BlazeFind.

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

(Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes)

Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

If the entry is correcly set and the problem persist, reset the Taskbar state to defaults using this fix:
Line 164. Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality

!