Toolbars Being Reset

I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
same?
7 answers Last reply
More about toolbars reset

    Eric--

    See these at:

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings (Line 30)

    Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

    Chad Harris

    "Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
    >I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
    > toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
    > his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
    > the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
    > same?

    Hi Eric,

    See if this helps:

    Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
    >I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
    > toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
    > his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
    > the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
    > same?

    Eric,

    Lock the toolbar and close IE. If the settings are not saved, read below:

    If you are using a HP/Compaq PC, click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the entry named "Autotkit.exe" [if exists]. Restart Windows. If this does not help, download the fix from HP [Only for HP computers with Windows XP]

    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Customized View Settings on the Internet Explorer Toolbar Revert to Default Settings After Restarting the Computer
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL5097/pv-17688-1/SP24040.exe

    [From HP: This update fixes an issue causing a user's customized settings in Internet Explorer to be undone when restarting the PC. Removes AutoTKit from the PC startup process]

    Other option is to reset the Toolbar position in the registry using this fix:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm

    [Close all browser windows and apply the fix]

    Deletes "ITBarLayout" value in the following registry key; Resets Toolbar, Addressbar positions to defaults.
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]

    Another possibility: Search your computer for a file called fash.exe. Rename this file to something else, say old_fash.exe. Before that you may need to terminate any running instances of this application from Task Manager.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message news:5e8001c474d2$90e69040$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
    toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
    his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
    the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
    same?

    Toolbar or Taskbar?

    --

[...]

    IE Toolbar settings.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message news:Oa0gxjTdEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Toolbar or Taskbar?

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    Eric,

    Lock the toolbar and close IE. If the settings are not saved, read below:

    If you are using a HP/Compaq PC, click Start, Run, type MSCONFIG. Go to
    Startup tab and uncheck the entry named "Autotkit.exe" [if exists]. Restart
    Windows. If this does not help, download the fix from HP [Only for HP
    computers with Windows XP]

    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Customized View Settings on the Internet
    Explorer Toolbar Revert to Default Settings After Restarting the Computer
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL5097/pv-17688-1/SP24040.exe

    [From HP: This update fixes an issue causing a user's customized settings in
    Internet Explorer to be undone when restarting the PC. Removes AutoTKit from
    the PC startup process]

    Other option is to reset the Toolbar position in the registry using this
    fix:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_toolbarfix.htm

    [Close all browser windows and apply the fix]

    Deletes "ITBarLayout" value in the following registry key; Resets Toolbar,
    Addressbar positions to defaults.
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]

    Another possibility: Search your computer for a file called fash.exe. Rename
    this file to something else, say old_fash.exe. Before that you may need to
    terminate any running instances of this application from Task Manager.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
    I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
    toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
    his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
    the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
    same?

    >> toolsbars at the bottom

    Umm. I misunderstood the question probably.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%23j0cGtTdEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    IE Toolbar settings.

    --
[...]

    If you're referring to the Taskbar (Toolbars in the Taskbar) settings, read below:

    It's might be caused by a malware BlazeFind.

    Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

    HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

    (Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes)

    Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

    If the entry is correcly set and the problem persist, reset the Taskbar state to defaults using this fix:
    Line 164. Restore Taskbar to Default Functionality

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Eric" <eotterbein@ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message news:5e8001c474d2$90e69040$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    I have a user who has an address toolbar, and some other
    toolsbars at the bottom. Starting yesterday, rebooting
    his computer resets all those toolbars (one goes away,
    the address one shrinks). How do I get it to stay the
    same?

Configuration Computers Microsoft Customization Windows XP