Upgrade GTX275 running under Linux

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I run Ubuntu Linux 10.10. I have an i7 860 running at 2.8GHz, ASUS P7H55-M
mainboard, 4Gb G-Skill 1333 (??) DD3 memory, 2 1TB Seagate disks, a GeForce GTX275, two monitors at resolution 1920*1020 Acer H223HQ and Acer G235H, CoolerMaster V8, CoolerMaster 700W Silent Pro. No overclocking of any kind.

All 4 cores and 4 threads run 100% with distributed computing application BIONC. I run two games Sauerbraten (based on a Doom 2 engine) and Eternal Lands. Then just browsing, watching movies.

I would like to upgrade the GTX275. Sometimes I run both games together or two of Eternal Lands and the graphics suffers somewhat.

I live in the middle of nowhere in Thailand. I can mail order and Asus cards on this page are within my budget, though I would rather spend Thai Bhat 5,000-8000.

http://www.thanni.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=477&sort=20a&page=3

(If it appears in Thai there is a Union Flag (British) near top right to get the page in English)

I have in the past chosen NVidia cards as I know they have drivers for Linux, but I think Radeon cards now have good drivers too. So may be the choice is more open now?

Which of the cards on the page would you recommend for me?

PS: I cannot order from abroad as the item will attract import duty to bring the price up to what you see on this page. Sorry the prices are in THB but that's all I can get and translating into USD or Euro is pointless and frightening :)

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Thanks for your reply Mactronics. Especially that Phoronix site. Looks very interesting and that I will have my reading cut out for the next few days.

Obviously, with Linux I have to be careful with drivers. Looks like I don't have to worry :)

zootnerper

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I did see the Linux section, thanks, but only yesterday just before I posted my query. I was in two minds whether to put my question there or not

I've only ever looked at the forums through Tom's Home page, so didn't really know how it was organized.