p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey all,
I'm planning to buy a new psu sometime this week because I'm quite sure that the one I have now wont be able to handle my setup when I start to upgrade. My setup is phenom 4 core, asus hd6950, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, 8 gbytes of ram and ocz modxstream pro 700w. And I'm planning to to crossfire in a month along with water cooling and this psu only has 2 pcie cables (6 pin from 2 moles connectors and 6+2 pin from psu itself) so I can't crossfire now. Is the Enermax NAXN 850W Modular 82+ a good choice of psu to use with the setup so I can upgrade in the future? Will I be able to use this psu now with my current setup?

Thanks

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Ok lets try and go through this.

1) Your current set up is fine, but will likely struggle to run x2 6950's with your 700w PSU. 750w is recommended, and 850w is even better if you plan lots of over-clock and such.

2) Enermax is a very good quality PSU. Other recommended brands include: XFX, SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec (always look for 80PLUS ratings, 80PLUS Silver is ideal at 850w+). Modular design is also recommended.

3) You could use a 1500w PSU with your current set up if you wanted to, you can always use more power, just not less. The PSU will only supply the power the system needs, so if the computer is drawing only 200w, only 200w out of the total possible 1500w will be used.

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
thanks that's pretty much what I was asking, I was worried that i will buy a $200 psu and my pc wont start because i have too many watts or amps, and sorry if I didn't make much sense I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't re-read. Thanks heaps mate