Do I need an Aftermarket CPU Cooler

Accer101

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello, I am intending to create my own PC and i am not sure whether I have to purchase and aftermarket cpu cooler or not. I have no intentions of overclocking and I am intending to purchase a AMD FX-6100 Six-Core 3.3GHz 14MB Socket AM3+ 95W. The case I am buying seems o have sufficient airflow and will be placed near a window however i do live in Australia where the temperature in summer hits 40 degrees. I am intending to play pretty graphic intensive games.

Thanks

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
You can't really cool below ambient temperatures anyway, so don't be too concerned with living in a hot climate.

If your not over-clocking, stock cooler will be plenty. You can download HWMonitor or RealTemp or some other similar temperature monitoring software just to make sure :)

Zero77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Is more recommended to use an aftermarket, but if you are not going to do overclock or like me GAMING for 10 hours (COD or BF) at 1080p and online.

Then yes, you will need a after market cooler

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Most games don't put all that much stress on the CPU. Especially with a multiple-core CPU the load is usually fairly evenly spread and you probably wont see much more than 60% usage across the cores. Most of the demand during gaming will be placed on the GPU. Almost all newer GPU's have more than enough cooling to keep themselves cool, and so is of no concern. Case cooling will help, but an after-market CPU cooler will give no real advantage here.

Best thing to do in your position:
Build your system
Keep the stock cooler
Download "HWMonitor" (open this program on start up and it will measure your highest, lowest, and current temps)
Before you shutdown your PC after whatever you've been doing, check your highest recorded temps
If the highest CPU temps are something like 70 degree's+ consider buying an after-market cooler
Anything below 70 (60-65 is usually about the highest load temps you'll see) is perfectly fine

Don't spend money on something you might not need, it just isn't worth it and the money could be better spend elsewhere on the build.