Sign in with
Your question

[new build] help talk some sense it me: buyer's remorse i3 2100

Last response: in Systems
October 10, 2011 9:41:50 PM

I recently ordered my parts for a new pc for everyday use and gaming. I rather hastily ordered everything and have been doing more research after I've made the purchase (dumb, I know) as I've become somewhat obsessed with the "build your own pc" thing now.

My only problem is that I'm worrying about not getting the intel i5 2400 or 2500k. I chose an i3 2100 b/c I was on a tight budget: around $800 from scratch needing speakers and a monitor. I'm using the sapphire 6870 video card, 4gb ram, and this z68 motherboard:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00518M77U?ie=UTF8&tag...

I didn't fully realize at the time the difference between having 4 cores for newer games so I'm worried that I'm going to be restricted with the i3 2100 a bit. Still, I'm more interested in games like diablo 3 and the new counterstrike and haven't had a "real" pc since the days of counterstrike 1.6 so I'm assuming I'm going to be blown away by the performance of an i3 2100 with an hd 6870 either way. I'd like to play games like bf3 and skyrim but I don't think I'd die if they weren't all on the highest settings (not as interested in these games as the previously mentioned ones).

I guess with me being new to this I'm having lots of second thoughts about my purchase. From what I understand with the z68 board I can upgrade my cpu to the i5/i7 a few years down the line when the price drops dramatically and still be able to keep up with the parts I have (also have 600w corsair psu) ? Also I'm only going to be gaming at 1680x1050 so this should help me get better fps right?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge and the rambling nature of this post. Any input would be greatly appreciated : )

October 10, 2011 9:46:30 PM

you should be fine with the 2100 and 6870. If it isn't up to snuff for the newest games, you should be able to swap to a 2400/2500 or in 6 months or so, to an ivy bridge
m
l
October 13, 2011 9:05:58 PM

I just built a pc for a friend and he was on a budget also. I went with the 2100 and hd 6870 and it runs great. If for whatever reason you needed to upgrade, the 2400-2500k are in sight and would be great backups, specially if the price comes down much in the next half a year to a year. Like screwSqrl said you'll be fine with that combo for a little while to come I'm sure.
m
l
October 13, 2011 9:22:04 PM

I'm running an i3-2120 and it works perfectly fine for what I need it to do. I'm using it mainly for work / school purposes and I'll never need to push the CPU to the maximum limits. I'm in the same boat - I kinda wish I had got the i5-2500K but I couldn't afford it at the time, but I'll probably drop in a new one if I find the i3 isn't meeting my needs.
m
l
!