Last response: in Forum Feedback

Do you want a Mac/OSX forum?

Total: 178 votes (24 blank votes)

• Yes
  • 59 %
  • No
  • 42 %
October 11, 2009 6:09:32 AM

There have been two threads I can think of that have requested this now. I want to see how many Mac users actually use the forum to find out if a dedicated Mac/OSX section is viable. Note that I am not interested in how many people don't want a Mac section, as I know that is the vast majority anyway. The "no" option is only there because I can't start a poll with one option. Voting "no" will not affect the outcome.

More about : mac osx forum

October 11, 2009 10:19:15 AM

You will burn in hell for starting this topic, a bunch of rabid, inbred mac fanthings will come out of the woodwork.

*shakes fist*
October 12, 2009 12:03:12 AM

strangestranger said:
You will burn in hell for starting this topic, a bunch of rabid, inbred mac fanthings will come out of the woodwork.

*shakes fist*

Aye

*shakes fist*
Related resources
October 12, 2009 12:29:52 AM

That's the plan. When they show themselves, I'll put them all in a cage :D 
October 12, 2009 4:04:48 AM

Yes, I want a mac forum.

We'll have Chickadee as a mod and the whole place'll be a loony asylum.

October 12, 2009 8:38:19 AM

But but, if you attract em with a Mac forum, next thing you know they'll be posting in the "other" forums and confusing us with weird questions and odd problems.
October 12, 2009 8:39:15 AM

Don't be silly, Macs don't have problems.
October 12, 2009 9:47:25 AM

randomizer said:
Don't be silly, Macs don't have problems.

*golf clap*
October 12, 2009 1:07:29 PM

Actually if you clean the monitor screen with some spray and wipe and a damp cloth and then polish the Apple logo they bootup faster.

Seriously though ... it would be good to have a Mac forum area.

That way the FBI can keep an eye on them.

High School Principals seem to favour them and Music and Art Teachers ... all bound for the B Ark.
October 12, 2009 4:04:15 PM

strangestranger said:

*shakes fist*

I don't know how you can call mac 'fanthings' when your post is just dripping exaggeration, and bias.

I would like to see a mac forum as well. I run a MBP a long side my Homebuild PC. There's a lot of mac users who have incredible bias when it comes to their computer, but the same is also true for PC users, especially homebuilders. You don't need to generalize an entire population of users based off of you experience with individuals. If I did that I would assume every PC is like you. Burning with hate towards mac users, and totally ignorant of the fact that they can know anything about a computer
October 12, 2009 5:31:32 PM

Keep in mind, the kind of people hanging around Tom's are going to be somewhat computer savvy. Apple's soccer mom's will ask questions at the Apple Store and on Apple's (almost useless) forums.

Most of the Mac OS users at Tom's probably know their way around Windows too. I've been around Windows since version 3.0 (that's right, before 3.1) when it wasn't even an OS, just a GUI for DOS. I've been on Mac OS since System 6; and I remember being disappointed that System 7 wouldn't install on my old, used Macintosh Plus. How many of you teenagers were still crapping your diapers while the rest of us ran our computers off of floppy disks?

The anti-Apple bias many of Tom's members have is the only roadblock to Mac OS forums on Tom's. It's completely illogical for Tom's to ignore Mac OS discussion and the lack of a Macintosh forum is a stain on Tom's credibility.
October 12, 2009 5:57:03 PM

Diapers? Actually, I was selling PCs and Macs back in 1984.

And I'd say what's being discussed here is all in fun. Outside of touchy folks in the OC forum, most here are friendly and rarely sarcastic or demeaning.

The real issue is how much value can be given to Mac users with their hardware by the majority of folks here. And if Mac questions get mixed into the PC forums, that'll cause confusion. So all the "regular" forums will need to be re-titled to be "PC" forums among other things. And I look at this forum from strictly the hardware side - never even visited the OS or other forums.
October 13, 2009 1:44:49 AM

@wildwell: Still running DOS 6.0 and DOS 6.22. Heck, I spent the weekend trying to make a DOS 6.0 boot CD (NOT floppy). :lol: 

+1for mongox.

If we can have a Politics,etc section why not a Mac section?
October 13, 2009 2:02:47 AM

wildwell said:
The anti-Apple bias many of Tom's members have is the only roadblock to Mac OS forums on Tom's. It's completely illogical for Tom's to ignore Mac OS discussion and the lack of a Macintosh forum is a stain on Tom's credibility.

The forum and the THG main site are, for all intents and purposes, separate entities, so credibility has nothing to do with it. The editors have zero control over what happens here.
October 13, 2009 4:40:11 AM

October 13, 2009 4:41:31 AM

Can not be unseen...
October 13, 2009 7:53:47 AM

ADBLOCK!!! !!!!!!!!!1
October 15, 2009 3:14:40 AM

SneakySnake said:
I don't know how you can call mac 'fanthings' when your post is just dripping exaggeration, and bias.

I would like to see a mac forum as well. I run a MBP a long side my Homebuild PC. There's a lot of mac users who have incredible bias when it comes to their computer, but the same is also true for PC users, especially homebuilders. You don't need to generalize an entire population of users based off of you experience with individuals. If I did that I would assume every PC is like you. Burning with hate towards mac users, and totally ignorant of the fact that they can know anything about a computer

Huzza!
Well said. Why can't more people be understanding and open to new ideas? And incase people haven't noticed, while they may be the most outspoken, mac fanboys are a dying breed. With the advent of Intel Macs that run Windows the majority of Mac owner's own, and regularly use, PCs as well (whether it is Windows or Linux). At the very least people should give respect to Apple for the inroads the have made in the last few years.

@wildwell
I may not have been alive for the beginning of it all, that doesn't mean I haven't experienced it. Most of what I know about computer hardware was learned by building, you guessed it, Macs :o . Back in the good old days with the 840av and my personal favorite, the 9600. Even the Molar (AIO G3) was customizable.
When stuff is ten years old, it tends to be cheaper, so my dad made sure my brother and I always had something 'new' to play with, so yeah, I remember booting off of floppies. :kaola: 

Viva la IIGS!!!
October 18, 2009 6:18:23 PM

You know, I am torn. On the one hand I think we should allow the mac fans a place where they can discuss their platform, even though I hate that company and the smugness of its fan base. On the other hand, it might actually attract more smug mac fans, which is exactly what I don't want.

I guess, ultimately I should promote a chance for free speech wherever I see one, so I will go ahead and toss in my vote for it too. Hopefully they will have something useful to contribute to the non-mac portions of this forum?

-Zorak
October 19, 2009 12:24:08 AM

Hey wuzy, thats one of those fruit of the loom guys innit?
October 19, 2009 6:49:34 AM

I'm pretty much a Mac hater, and I'll admit it for as long as I can give a logical argument against them. Which will probably always happen, given Apple's demeanor.

That being said, having a Mac forum would be the correct thing to do. The only real reason I don't want one is because, classically, Tom's is a pro-PC site. I don't know if making a Mac forum would be more helpful to those who posted or simply just create a forum of flaming war threads.
October 19, 2009 8:37:01 AM

sure, but hopefully unruly comments from either side get a time out for posting. I am sick of threads spinning out of control on either side.
October 19, 2009 9:07:00 AM

yeah Tom's does seem to have more Windowsists than Macists ... i guess most of the world is still that way when it comes to desktop PCs. fine by me.

although it isnt quite true, i think of Windows as DOS with whatever licensed interface Redmond wants to put over it this year. and i think of Mac as FreeBSD with Cupertino's licensed interface over the top of it. both have Intel Inside ... so to speak.

but people on both sides do seem to get a little too emotional about what amounts to their favorite window manager, if youre approaching it from a Linux standpoint (Mac4Lin anyone? Vixta anyone?).

in the spirit of fairness i'd agree and say, why not include a Mac forum if Tom's is going to include Windows? isnt that just ... an example of plain and simple fairness?

unless Toms wants to go back to being just a hardware site to ignore the loyalists on both sides.

but that would be about as tasty as a sandwich ... without anything in it.

cheers.
October 19, 2009 11:38:22 AM

Noooooew! Fedora ftw!
October 19, 2009 3:22:52 PM

So, does Tom's Hardware review Mac-only items? If so, seems like the forum should have a Mac area. Just not on top of any of the PC stuff!
October 20, 2009 10:20:50 PM

I wouldn't bother adding a forum. Although I know a lot of Mac users read this site, they tend to stay well clear of the forums or even from commenting on news articles because of the aggressiveness of a lot of the users on here. This site's got quite a reputation after all. Mac users would be better off heading to an Apple-centric forum such as MacRumors.
October 20, 2009 10:36:26 PM

I use both Mac and PC's. I build my own gaming desktops and have an iMac for design and photo purposes. I would love to have a Mac forum on Tom's. I stop by this site daily. Although I am afraid it would just turn into a constant flame war. If you even hint at a pro-Mac stance in commenting on an article you instantly get -20 thumbs down. lol, Tom's readers seem to be PC fanboys to a "T"(at least the ones who comment on Apple related articles). Most of Tom's readers who use Mac's also use PC's or at least are very familiar with them and are usually the most fair when it comes to comparing the two platforms, at least that has been my experience when reading comments.

So a "yes" from me. Here's to hoping its a good forum and not full of flames.
October 21, 2009 3:16:22 AM

Funny thing.
My girlfriend's PC just died a few hours ago (RIP bro) and since she always had some minor problems with it I suggested her to buy a Mac because obviously a Mac is rookie friendlier than Windows and Apple has just launched its new products. What a perfect timing.. conspiracy?
Anyway, came here to ask a couple of questions and was rather astonished that there isn't a OS X section.
October 21, 2009 8:17:21 AM

griffed88 said:
I use both Mac and PC's. I build my own gaming desktops and have an iMac for design and photo purposes. I would love to have a Mac forum on Tom's. I stop by this site daily. Although I am afraid it would just turn into a constant flame war. If you even hint at a pro-Mac stance in commenting on an article you instantly get -20 thumbs down. lol, Tom's readers seem to be PC fanboys to a "T"(at least the ones who comment on Apple related articles). Most of Tom's readers who use Mac's also use PC's or at least are very familiar with them and are usually the most fair when it comes to comparing the two platforms, at least that has been my experience when reading comments.

So a "yes" from me. Here's to hoping its a good forum and not full of flames.

Yeh, I use a Macbook for school work.

Always good to have rep and influence on Tom's.

Makes people think twice about flaming you.
October 21, 2009 10:25:27 AM

People who praise macs deserve 20 thumbs up somewhere.
October 21, 2009 10:39:02 AM

Cult of Apples.
October 21, 2009 10:54:14 AM

strangestranger said:
People who praise macs deserve 20 thumbs up somewhere.

People who blindly follow anything should have their titties given a 4 thumbs down(kudos if you get it).
October 21, 2009 1:07:58 PM

1898 said:
Funny thing.
My girlfriend's PC just died a few hours ago (RIP bro) and since she always had some minor problems with it I suggested her to buy a Mac because obviously a Mac is rookie friendlier than Windows and Apple has just launched its new products. What a perfect timing.. conspiracy?
Anyway, came here to ask a couple of questions and was rather astonished that there isn't a OS X section.

Head over to www.macrumors.com and ask there, people (tend) to be pretty helpful although they're obviously Mac biased. They don't tend to crucify you for liking Windows or owning PCs though.
October 21, 2009 1:57:59 PM

I don't see what it will hurt, People who do not want to read mac questions, do not have to.
October 21, 2009 5:23:13 PM

Spanky Deluxe said:
Head over to www.macrumors.com and ask there, people (tend) to be pretty helpful although they're obviously Mac biased. They don't tend to crucify you for liking Windows or owning PCs though.

Thanks, shall do!
October 21, 2009 9:21:57 PM

I can't be the only one that builds their own windows boxes for gaming yet prefers the MacOS for everthing else. Or am I?

Yes, I would like to see a Mac Forum.
October 21, 2009 9:30:10 PM

You're an old man, your views don't count.

Get back in you cage.
October 21, 2009 11:24:28 PM

"I can't be the only one that builds their own windows boxes for gaming yet prefers the MacOS for everthing else. Or am I?"

That's exactly what I do.
October 21, 2009 11:51:30 PM

Wow, 23 votes overnight! I thought this poll was going to crawl along and grind to a halt.
October 22, 2009 2:38:56 AM

randomizer said:
Wow, 23 votes overnight! I thought this poll was going to crawl along and grind to a halt.

At the beginning of the poll, you wanted to "Find out if a dedicated Mac/OSX section is viable." Is there a particular 'magic number' you're looking to reach regarding poll response?
October 22, 2009 2:57:04 AM

No, because if I quote a magic number I am sure someone will register multiple accounts through a proxy and skew the poll. For all I know that may have happened already, because that's a hell of alot of votes in a short period. The only other explanation is that this thread made the home page "hot topics" section for a period and got more views. I didn't check how many views there were yesterday, but there are over 700 now.
October 22, 2009 3:15:19 AM

Is there a way to see which member accounts have voted on the poll? A bunches of votes from members with no post history would be very suspicious.
October 22, 2009 4:04:29 AM

Unfortunately there is no such feature, at least not that I'm aware of. Since I'm not a moderator of this section I wouldn't see it anyway.
October 22, 2009 7:34:27 AM

strangestranger said:

*shakes fist*

I am an iMac user and want to have a forum where I'm not being watched and censored like they do on the official apple/mac forums. I was censored for advising new buyers to beware of the apple store's sales people. I said nothing defamatory and only provided factual information on how they sold me an obsolete iMac just weeks before bringing on the new 27" quad core model, without telling me, at the same price as the one I had already bought. It seems they are very sensitive about what is said on their forums. They have watchdogs reading and censoring anything they don't like. America is supposed to have freedom of speech enshrined in their constitution, but I guess apple has not read it. If I want advice from other apple uses I want it to be frank and honest. There needs to be a forum where apple's big brother approach does not impinge on people's rights/privileges to have a fair and honest approach to issues with apple and their products, as long as they are not being defamatory. I agree that many iMac users seem to act like irrational lemmings when it comes to following apple and that's why an alternative to apple forums would be great.
October 22, 2009 7:47:15 AM

RCraig57 said:
I can't be the only one that builds their own windows boxes for gaming yet prefers the MacOS for everthing else. Or am I?

Yes, I would like to see a Mac Forum.

I do as well. Historically our family has used Mac more, so we have more software for it and such, so we stick with them for everyday use. I however, recently caught the "builder's bug" and put together a gaming PC. Both Macs and PCs get the job done, period, and that is all that matters.
October 22, 2009 8:31:02 AM

David54 said:
I am an iMac user and want to have a forum where I'm not being watched and censored like they do on the official apple/mac forums. I was censored for advising new buyers to beware of the apple store's sales people. I said nothing defamatory and only provided factual information on how they sold me an obsolete iMac just weeks before bringing on the new 27" quad core model, without telling me, at the same price as the one I had already bought. It seems they are very sensitive about what is said on their forums. They have watchdogs reading and censoring anything they don't like. America is supposed to have freedom of speech enshrined in their constitution, but I guess apple has not read it. If I want advice from other apple uses I want it to be frank and honest. There needs to be a forum where apple's big brother approach does not impinge on people's rights/privileges to have a fair and honest approach to issues with apple and their products, as long as they are not being defamatory. I agree that many iMac users seem to act like irrational lemmings when it comes to following apple and that's why an alternative to apple forums would be great.

Agreed, though, I wouldn't blame the sales people. They probably didn't know anything either until a few hours before the launch. Sadly, that's how Apple works.
October 22, 2009 9:53:23 AM

I feel for David54. I recently ran across forum posts about the DFI Lan-party boards and the forum devoted to them. I had no previous knowledge of the subject. Short version seems to be that the forum was 'sponsored' by DFI and run under a contract by a somewhat irritable person who ran afoul of the party line. So the forum got shut down because they couldn't censor it and the new one is fully controlled by the company.

I don't expect forums of any kind to be un-censored - nor would I participate in one that wasn't. I judge the quality of a forum by the mods ability and willingness to clean up problems and edit/remove as needed. And there's no such thing as "the people's right" to say anything they want on someone else's forum. However, I think that the value of a forum like this one includes the ability to express your negative opinions.

From what folks are saying about the "Apple" forums, I think this forum would be doing a good thing to start a Mac OS/Hardware forum.
October 22, 2009 3:51:54 PM

Reynod said:
Actually if you clean the monitor screen with some spray and wipe and a damp cloth and then polish the Apple logo they bootup faster.

Seriously though ... it would be good to have a Mac forum area.

That way the FBI can keep an eye on them.

High School Principals seem to favour them and Music and Art Teachers ... all bound for the B Ark.

ouch, but I don't wanna go on the B Ark :cry: 
October 22, 2009 4:20:33 PM

Hi guys I heard this was a Apple forum. I have a question I just recently wanted to start using a computer. When I went to the store the man told me to buy a Apple because they are like so much faster and have no viruses and are like supper trendy also I can like buy so much stuff on iTunes . I like have all my music on iTunes. Ohh hold on im typing this at the same time i am trying to use this thing called Hulu.com but there is just too many buttons ....ugghhhhhh.I wish everything as as simple as my computer.

Anyway I am like trying to play this game called Chocolate Castle and I like it because i played it at a friends house but it wont go.Can anyone help me ? I know it's not my computer because it's supper fast.
Is it true if polish the logo it goes even faster????????
!