3 beeps when start up but nothing on screen

nsimpson72

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I built a pc for a friend using some of my old parts from my old pc (which was working). It booted fine and I installed some anti virus software. I installed more ram but was the wrong type so removed it. Now I get 3 beeps when I turn on power and nothing comes up on the screen (not even bios). Ive tried resetting the jumpers, removing each original ram card and the graphics card but still 3 beeps and nothing.

nsimpson72

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Yep had a look at those codes as well, does the fact i put in the wrong type of ram cause the other 2 ram cards (that were working before) to fail? as it wont boot up with the original 2 cards (that were working before)?

nsimpson72

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
it was ddr2 it should have been sdram. the beep is 3 beeps but in the lists ive seen all the codes have 1-1-2 or 1-2-1 but no 1-1-1 which i think the beeps are telling me. the 2 things ive seen on forums are either the ram cards are now faulty or its 'first 64k memory fail' !!

nsimpson72

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
ESD controls were in place (worked in microelectronics for years). But the mistake of the wrong ram would suggest Ive f***ed the existing ram. I have ordered the right ram and should be with me in 2 days. Hopefully the beeps will have gone once I fit the new ram.