I7 2760QM or i7 2640M for business and home use?

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello,
I am about to buy a laptop and need to decide which CPU to get. I use it only for business purposes but lots of multi tasking like word, net browsing, etc. I do not play any games and barely watch any movies. Also I want something which is future proof for at least 3-4 years...
Thanks in advance!

IMO the I7 2760QM is overkill for you then. It's a quad core hyper threaded CPU meant for heavy tasks like encoding and decoding and gaming and such.

Heck for basic internet browsing and business stuff, even a Core duo would probably do you fine.

If I were in your spot I would look into something like the core i5. It's a slightly "weaker" cpu, but will definately save you some $$$.

But if your hell bent on getting it, go for the cheape one (i7 2640m). It's actually only dual core but with hyper threading as well.

wizloa

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Stick to dual core, it'll definitely give you more battery life and will last for quite some time into future. Based on your needs a quad core is unnecessary.

The Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM is a very nice processor to if you are going to be doing a lot of gaming, video editing or some other heavy multi-threading or multi-tasking. So based on what you are saying that you are going to be doing I would say that the Intel Core i7-2640M would more than fit your needs.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Dear Guys!
Thank you very very much for your reply!
It removes all the doubts I had in my head and will save me a fair amount of dollars as well.
I have finally decided on i7 2640M with SSD. Since I am a very frugal person and really do not spend much on anything, I thought I treat myself to a high end laptop.
Kind Regards
Justin

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Dear Guys,
Sorry for again bringing this already resolved question up but I just got back the price quotes for my laptop and something interesting has happened:-

For a $160 increase, I get an upgrade which includes:
1. From a i7 2640M Dual Core (2.8 Ghz with max turbo frequency of 3.5 Ghz) to a i7 2760 QM Quad Core (2.4 Ghz with max turbo frequency of 3.5 Ghz).
2. increase in screen size from 14 inch HD+ to 15.6 HD+
3. and also a NVIDIA NVS 4200M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory.

To be honest, I am more gravitated towards the Quad Core due to the following reasons:

1. I need something which lasts a huge while as I will not get a new one for 5 years easily. Right now there are not many programs that use 4 ores but in 2-3 years, programs using 4 cores maybe commonplace.
2. Also I checked that one with the 2640M has maximum of 8 GB RAM that can be installed and the 2760QM has maximum of 16GB of RAM. More RAM certainly will help as this laptop last longer.
3. $160 is not any issue at all as I have been saving for a very long time to get a new laptop.
4. One issue with the Quad core-clocking frequency is a little slower in the Quad Core compared to the Dual Core. But the problem is mitigated by the fact that the max turbo speed of both the processors is same.
5. Another issue with the Quad core is it will drain the battery much faster than the Dual Core. But again has no bearing on my case as I never really use the battery. I just take it out, wrap it in paper towel and keep it aside. I do not travel etc and I am usually plugged in my office. The battery of my current laptop is still in pristine conditions.

So please tell:
1. Does the fact that 2760QM has a slower clocking frequency than the Dual Core (2.4 Ghz versus 2.8 Ghz) make a difference, keeping in mind that in turbo mode both have same maximum frequency of 3.5 Ghz.
2. Should I get the upgrade? Honestly the $160 is not any issue as I have saved a huge time for buying a new laptop. I just want the fastest and most future proof piece of machinery.

Kind Regards
Justin

1) The slower clock won't bring any noticeable difference due to 2x number of cores. In fact like you mentioned it will be much better 3-4 years down the road once more programs accept multi core systems. The 2x core difference will mitigate the slower clock speed.

Also I do not reccomend keeping your Li-Ion battery wrapped in a towel. This is due to the fact that Li-Ion batterys can catch fire (even though it is quite rare), you might want to put it in a fire safe box (those plastic kind), or something that won't go up in flames if there ever is a problem.

2) If you have no issue spending 160 extra go right ahead. IMO this is really your choice if you want to spend the extra. In fact it will future proof your system.

Around 4 years ago I was looking to buy a new laptop. At first I was thinking I was going to go with a 17" gaming laptop but as I started to think about it I knew that I wasn't going to replace my desktop at home. So I thought about how I would really use the laptop. I already had a 15" that weight only a little more than a baby rhino and I woudnt carrry it anywhere. So I started to look at 13s and 14s laptops. With the increased battery life that they offer and lighter weight I ended up getting a nice 14" laptop that weights in at just over 4 lbs. I have loved that laptop and gotten a lot more value out of it than I would have gotten anything that was larger.

I guess what I am trying to say to you is look at how you would use the laptop and if you find that weight and battery life are important for you then you most likely want to stay with a dual core and a smaller screen.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I think you'd be better off with something weaker and cheaper as what you describe would be something that would not require more computing power even in the next 5 years.

A 5 year old laptop today would do all that. The extra money might be going to waste. The quad core is worth it for $160 I guess.

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hello Guys,
thank you very much for the reply!
I will get a 2640M only.
But just for my information, could you please clear out/confirm the following 2 doubts:
1. the .4 ghz differnce 2.4 ghz quad core and the 2.8 ghx dual core is mitigated by the fact that the max turbo speed of both is the same
2. also is this hypothesis correct- that quad core is oriented towards multitasking, even with single threaded applications, becoase it takes on more RAM then the dual core and hence it makes it fatser.
Kind Regards
Justin

Sure.
1. yes, the "can" be mitigated by the fact of the turbo speed is the same. The way that turbo boost works is that it will sense how hot and how many cores are currently being used nad the heat being generated. So with the Intel® Core™ i7-2760QM you will see the highest turbo boost when you are running only a single threaded application. In the end the Intel Core i7-2760QM will give you the best performance most of the time, but there will be times that the Intel Core i7-2640M have the best performance. Here is a nice tool that you can download and run on your system that will allow you see when and how high the turbo boost is kicking the processor up to. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19105

2.) Today there are 2 ways that the Intel Core i7-2760QM really takes advantage. The areas in which it will take advantage of are multi-tasking and multi-threading. You already understand the multi-tasking but multi-threading is a way in which a software program is written which will break itself apart and spent parts to one core and other parts to other cores.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

lenojustin

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Dear Guys,
After all your help and advice, I have finally decided on getting a i7 2640M with SSD.
The main reasons I did so are:
1. It has more clock speed than the 2760QM. To be precise 2.8ghz v 2.4 ghz.
2. My apprehension that Quad core will be needed in the future seems baseless. It may happen only if there is a major paradigmatic shift and software programmers start making average consumer software to use 4 cores instead of the current standard of single or dual core.
3. Also I am a novice in this regard and overwhelmingly learned people in this forum have pointed out that Quad core is simply unnecessary.

Another reason that I thought maybe of importance is that I will be using the laptop in country which has a very very hot climate. It easily touches 40 Celsius/ 100 Fahrenheit in for 8 months of the year and my office has no air conditioning most of the time. 90 Fahrenheit is the norm in my office for 8 months of the year. I really do not want to take a chance with the heat generation issue.

What do you guys think of the last point? Any sense there or just again some silly newbie rambling of drivel…

Kind Regards
Justin