What have I done wrong now?

daboy

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Hi everyone,

I was using my computer the other day and I went to put in a CD that had pictures on it and when I did that my USB port stopped working. All I have plugged into this port is my sensor for my mouse/keyboard. I tried to just switch ports to see if that would help and after trying this a couple of times my computer just powered off. I was wondering if I may have done something to the motherboard. There is no light on the inside to indicate that there is any power going to it. What I mean is that there is no bulb that I can see that is turned on. It might exist, but it is not on at the moment.
My motherboard is an ASRock 760GM-GS3.

Thanks for any help

Solution
Sounds like you may have shorted the system when you connected something.

Try opening the case and disconnecting the the front panel USB headers (I assume this is where you tried to connect).

If you connected to the USB ports on the back of the system, verify that none of the grounding tabs are accidentally poking into a USB port.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like you may have shorted the system when you connected something.

Try opening the case and disconnecting the the front panel USB headers (I assume this is where you tried to connect).

If you connected to the USB ports on the back of the system, verify that none of the grounding tabs are accidentally poking into a USB port.

Solution

daboy

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
Thank you for the answer. That must have been what went wrong. I actually received a new case today and moved everything over. It has been working great ever since.