System for PowerDirector video editing

dae88

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I'm putting together a components list to do my first build after using a Dell 9150 with some enhancements for the past five years. Other than general office/business uses, the main reason for this build will be consumer-level video editing, using the new 64-bit PowerDirector software. I'm not a gamer, and never say never, but with this build, it's not a concern. As such, and using some of the recommended builds I've found in the forums here, I've gotten to the following configuration:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Intel Core i7 2600k

Asus P8Z68-V Pro MOBO

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe CPU Cooler, Intel 1366/1156/1155/775

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 16GB (4x4GB)

OCZ (AGT3-25SAT3-90G) Agility 3 2.5" 90GB SATA3 6GB/s Solid State Drive, Read: 525MB/s, Write: 500MB/s (system/software drive)

Western Digital Caviar Black (WD1002FAEX) 1000GB (1TB) SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache (file storage/scratch disk)

Asus ENGT440/DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GT 440 Chipset (822Mhz) 1GB (3200Mhz) GDDR5 DVI-I/D-Sub/HDMI Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M 80PLUS Bronze Certified 750W PSU

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Black ATX Mid Tower Case

The setup will have dual monitors. Currently I have a newish 23" Samsung (Samsung E2320X), and an older 19" monitor that I will probably replace with another 22" or 23" Samsung "E" series monitor. As of now, the other peripherals are not much of an issue, as I'll probably just add a new DVD RW for now.

I would like to keep the hardware build around $1000-$1500, at the lowest end if possible as I will have to buy some software. The build as noted above is currently around $1350, from a local store (Canada Computers). I might be able to shave a $100 or so off through online ordering, but I prefer the local storefront theme.

As to my build, the PowerDirector software is capable of utilizing the Core i7 2600k (hyper-threading, to mimic 8 cores, and will benefit from the "k" series IGP 3000) and 64-bit OS. The main concerns for video editing are, in my mind, CPU power and as much RAM as I can reasonably afford. The GPU I chose is really more of a compromise with regards to price, as I don't really know if a more powerful card will be much of a benefit in video editing, if in fact I need to go to this level of card. I have no experience with over-clocking, but everything I've read seems to suggest it's fairly easy, especially with the Asus software, so I may give it a try.

I chose the Asus Z68 Pro board, mostly because it's the newest iteration and may have more future to it, especially as I'm using dual monitors and can utilize the onboard video and discrete card. I also suspect the board will be compatible with the new Ivy Bridge processors, or so I've read, if I choose to upgrade later on.

I like the idea of a SSD boot drive. I think the 90GB should suffice because I don't usually add a lot of software after the fact. Still, the implementation of SSD as boot drive seems rather convoluted, so I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and the ongoing micro-managing.

All in all, I'm wondering if this build is over-kill for my intended use. It would be nice to shave the price a bit. Also, I would like this set-up to be as quiet as possible. Are there alternatives or additions to this end?

If anyone cares to respond, it will be greatly appreciated.

JORGEGLZ

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I am too searching to build a Powerdirector Computer,My main goal will be rendering one hour of high definition video in less than 45 minutes.So,I have been thinking about a WorkStation with 2 x Xeon 5650 or just a i7 Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition ,So far I was not able to find if someone know what is enough hardware to achieve my goal.
My budget is $2500 to $4000.
Thanks