Front USB ports stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedsall78

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hey all,

I've had a strange occurrence here with my front USB ports. They used to work just fine... all of sudden they just stopped working or detecting anything. Unfortunately, I don't recall anything that I changed that would have caused this to happen.

Even after a re-install of Windows 7 (which I performed not too long ago), the problem still exists.

All back USB ports work fine.

I am using:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I have also just installed the latest 3.0 USB drivers (previously had 2.0) from Gigabyte. And I have tried uninstalling the USB ports and allowing windows to reinstall them. No change.

Any advice on what else I should check is greatly appreciated :)

JRock247

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Sounds strange but try this.

Close down the PC completely and unplug the Mains lead from the wall socket, unplug any USB devices connected to the PC.

When you have done that, press in the Power button on the front of the PC and hold it in for a minimum of 1 minute.

After you have done that, leave the PC alone for about 45 minutes.

When the 45 minutes is up, reconnect the mains lead, connect the USB devices and turn the PC on.

Hi :)

Lollll you think electronics have a time memory :)

Even capacitors dont take 45 mins to drain...

OP try undoing the side of your case and checking the front usb connector to the Motherboard...

All the best Brett :)

benjii

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Control panel > power options > change plan settings(change the active one) > change advanced power settings > USB settings > disable

and

Control panel > device manager > universal serial bus controllers > go through the usb devices right clicking each one(probably just the "usb root hub" ones though), some will have a power management tab, uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then reboot. However, as an aside, what caused this problem for me was increasing my graphics card voltage.

Zero77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Well, did u remember to connect the USB cable from the CASE to the motherboard?

If yes thats your problem. Otherwise, it could be either the cable, drivers, case, or possibly motherboard USB ports(probably not cuz the back 1s work test them in case)

radarguy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
When my new Biostar motherboard was replaced (by me) I lost the front USB ports. I called Biostar techs and their answer was that the port itself was not 2.0 compliant. I don't completely understand how straight wire with no electronics cares but I have yet to get them to work and I would like to.

dedsall78

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks all for the replies. I've tried benjiis recommendations as well as reconnecting the USB cables. Nothing seems to work.

I'm starting to think that the front USB is simply broken. I will tinker around with it some more as it would be nice to have front USB ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.