Sign in with
Your question

Case or Cooler!?

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2012 5:20:31 PM

I have recently acquired some money for a small upgrade on my pc. I am trying to choose between a new case (an NZXT m59), or a cooler so I could overclock my cpu and just pimp my case at home :D  . Which would you guys advise and also what cooler should I get for under £50 preferably water? I like to use this site ebuyer.com and amazon but if anyone knows any UK places cheaper I would be grateful.
Phenom II x6 1055t
powercolor 6850
4gb ddr3 Corsair 1333
Asus m5a78l-m lx

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More about : case cooler

January 10, 2012 5:24:46 PM

One thing I forgot to add, the motherboard supports up to 95w CPU's and the 1055t is a 95w edition. Does this limit my overclocking ability at all.
450w PSU
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2012 7:54:35 PM

\exactly what brand and model of PSU are you using.

What case do you have now ?
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 12:51:19 AM

You wont get water for fifty quid man, but when I get home in the morning I'll throw you some links and sites
Moto
January 11, 2012 12:54:02 AM

Does this limit my overclocking ability at all.
a c 172 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 2:11:33 AM

May. The optimim OC solution involves reaching core speed limits before you reach voltage or thermal limits. Good CPU cooling helps. So does good airflow through the case.

Anything else is a compromise.
January 11, 2012 4:36:51 AM

My cases airflow is decent. I get stock cooled temps of about 24C anad under load never seen it go above 60.
a c 172 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 5:16:47 AM

Blorp Kola said:
My cases airflow is decent. I get stock cooled temps of about 24C anad under load never seen it go above 60.

You are not far from the upper thermal limit now.
January 11, 2012 5:26:34 AM

Thanks for the quick replies. What do you mean by "real watercooling", and is that alot more expensive?
a c 103 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 5:40:45 AM

By real watercooling I mean assembling a loop from components, or a kit such as the XSPC Rasa series,
the self-contained (L.C.S.) solutions like the ALC Coolits and Corsairs H series are sealed units that require little planning, installation and zero maintenance

and yes, 'real' water is a hobby all its own, with the associated expenses,
with starter kits around £120, its a journey into wallet-emptying madness, but like a lot of things, bloody addictive too :p 

Check out a thread over in watercooling if you haven't already, its kind of a 'Real' vs L.C.S. ongoing debate, but often digresses :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270566-11-discussio...
Moto
a c 186 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 7:27:12 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
By real watercooling I mean assembling a loop from components, or a kit such as the XSPC Rasa series,
the self-contained (L.C.S.) solutions like the ALC Coolits and Corsairs H series are sealed units that require little planning, installation and zero maintenance

and yes, 'real' water is a hobby all its own, with the associated expenses,
with starter kits around £120, its a journey into wallet-emptying madness, but like a lot of things, bloody addictive too :p 

Check out a thread over in watercooling if you haven't already, its kind of a 'Real' vs L.C.S. ongoing debate, but often digresses :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/270566-11-discussio...
Moto

I feel so bad I ordered an h80 over the rasa kit lol
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 7:41:45 AM

Blorp Kola said:
I have recently acquired some money for a small upgrade on my pc. I am trying to choose between a new case (an NZXT m59), or a cooler so I could overclock my cpu and just pimp my case at home :D  . Which would you guys advise and also what cooler should I get for under £50 preferably water? I like to use this site ebuyer.com and amazon but if anyone knows any UK places cheaper I would be grateful.
Phenom II x6 1055t
powercolor 6850
4gb ddr3 Corsair 1333
Asus m5a78l-m lx

If i was you i would upgrade both my case and my CPU cooler even a cheap aftermarket cooler will benefit you greatly and allow you to OC your CPU.

Save a few extra quid and get these..

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-e...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-300-three-hundred-...(new-version)
January 11, 2012 9:09:24 AM

The case you posted uther looks very much like my current case so I porbably am not going to upgrade my case.
This real watercooling business is a bit pricey for me as I am only 15 and don't exaxtly have a full wallet. I will look into getting this hyper 212 evo cooler. With my current setup how far will I be able to overclock?
January 11, 2012 9:13:37 AM

Blorp Kola said:
Phenom II x6 1055t
powercolor 6850
4gb ddr3 Corsair 1333
Asus m5a78l-m lx

January 11, 2012 9:34:09 AM

Erm were you supposed to say something demonboyz XD
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 9:48:35 AM

Blorp Kola said:
The case you posted uther looks very much like my current case so I porbably am not going to upgrade my case.
This real watercooling business is a bit pricey for me as I am only 15 and don't exaxtly have a full wallet. I will look into getting this hyper 212 evo cooler. With my current setup how far will I be able to overclock?

Is this your current case ?

If it is then i can tell you the Antec is far superior in every way including cooling which is what you require the most to have a healthy OC.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 10:05:06 AM

For best results you want to cut holes in top and bottom for a bottom to top air flow like a chimney, this is what i have done with a cheap case.

Top fan

Bottom Fans

Adding draw handles to the bottom of case to give clearance for ait intake to bottom fans, be sure to filter all intake fans.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 10:09:10 AM

More pictures to give you an idea of how it works

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 10:10:02 AM

Its amazing what you can do with a cutting tool, some 120mm fans and dust filters.
January 11, 2012 10:18:04 AM

Wow you've got a lot of fans in that case there. I assume you can buy fan filters on the internet. What fans are these and also where can I get one of those funky light bar things. Also a bit of a embarrassing question, how do you know which way to screw on a fan to make sure it is intake/out take?
January 11, 2012 10:34:08 AM

Did you paint it? Also where can I get hold of a cutting tool the same as your?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 10:46:33 AM

Oh and the fan has arrows on the side of the housing to show direction of air flow.
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 11:36:53 AM

Yes that will work on thin steel or aluminium, make sure its 120mm
January 11, 2012 12:01:49 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. Do you know how far I would be able to OC with a 212 evo?
a c 103 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 1:57:23 PM

Blorp Kola said:
Wow you've got a lot of fans in that case there. I assume you can buy fan filters on the internet. What fans are these and also where can I get one of those funky light bar things. Also a bit of a embarrassing question, how do you know which way to screw on a fan to make sure it is intake/out take?

Those lightbars on the front come on the case, although you can rip them off and makesomething else yourself as I did

Its pretty much the exact same case as Uther used btw, just modded differently which is the whole point )
You make it what you want and need, and then put a sword through it Hehe

DREMEL! Best toy ever, second only to an angle grinder, leatherman and a roll of duct tape (which is one item in my mind :p )
@Amuffin, don't feel bad man, the route you chose was the most suitable one for you, as above, I'll advise them, (even if i don't personally like them) if its what is best for that particular build and builder :) 

@Uther
good to see you again man, been quiet, H.N.Y. to you and yours mate

Moto
January 11, 2012 4:52:25 PM

That ace and sword setup is pretty awesome :p 
a c 103 à CPUs
January 11, 2012 5:59:37 PM

Ever had a bsod and wanted to hit/kick your Pc?
well I have those next to my desk so after a chat with a mate I made that just for fun, modded a spare roof I had
Moto
!