Sign in with
Your question

Installing LGA 1155 processor

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2012 6:34:02 PM

Hi. Does anyone know whether it is easy to install LGA 1155 processor (for example intel pentium dual core) by yourself? I heard that pins on the motherboard are very sensitive and bend easily. Which processor is better to install by yourself, intel or amd? Thanks.
a c 185 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 6:54:28 PM

Put the cpu into the socket and put the retention bracket over it. Not that hard and should take 2 min.
a c 146 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 6:54:46 PM

pcenthusiast said:
Hi. Does anyone know whether it is easy to install LGA 1155 processor (for example intel pentium dual core) by yourself? I heard that pins on the motherboard are very sensitive and bend easily. Which processor is better to install by yourself, intel or amd? Thanks.

It's pretty easy on both sides. All you have to do is align the pin one triangle marked on the chip with CPU pin one or align the notches. I like Intels way where the pins are on the motherboard socket. It just seems less likely bend pins with the LGA socket but either way you still have to be careful.
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 6:56:19 PM

Your motherboard should come with instructions :) 
January 10, 2012 7:48:50 PM

How easy it is to bend pins if i don't insert processor straight right away?
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2012 8:01:02 PM

pc, read the motherboard manual

there are two notches in side of cpu that line up with slot on motherboard

the cpu is easy the only tricky bit can sometimes be the crappy coolers they bundle with them.

cpu - lift retention bracket, replace plastic underneith retention bracket with cpu then put the retention bar back down

done

if not stock cooler add thermal compound,

if stock cooler, place down after lining it up with the four holes, placing it so that the wire will reach the fan pin on motherboard.

done

exactly the same as core 2 duo.

or at least the parts seem to be exactly the same, i got to wait till tomorrow for my case to arive so i can build it
a c 79 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 9:09:52 PM

its own weight will let it settle in the socket (ZIF = Zero insertion force), you should use no force at all. its not difficult.
a c 146 à CPUs
January 10, 2012 9:15:24 PM

Yes you definitely don't want to force it. If you feel you have to force it you're doing something wrong and you need to re-adjust the CPU. This video explains installing a CPU. You might have to fast forward it to the CPU part because it's a long video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
!