jljking

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Sony VAIO, Win XP
2.40B GHz* Intel® Pentium® 4
System Memory: 512MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM
Hard Disk Drive: 80 GB**
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce4 MX 440 (64 MB)

Old PC and part of network. Received warnings about BIOS and advised to restore to last good configuation. PC finally stopped and would not post. Disconnected and left for about six months. Did beep but I dont recall code. Now trying to revive the PC without too much cost for grandkids. Where to start? Read about Breadboarding and wonder if that is my next option to isolate the problem or are there some easier approaches? Not tech advanced and could use this as a learning experience if there is no simply and easy way out. Might even considering upgrades and messing with the PC just to get under the hood. Thanks. Jim

mdsiu

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
The system would still post even without a CMOS battery (all settings would be defaulted). If you have another power supply try that first. Its probably the easiest to replace of possible causes of your issue. It sounds like it could be a bad motherboard, but check the power supply before tearing out the guts.

jljking

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I did remove all the parts and have tested the PSU using a tester. It seems to be working and got the beep with the tester. All the lights on the tester displayed except for the -5v. I hooked up the mobo and tried to start the CPU. No luck since I don't have a switch on the mobo. Understand I have to short the pins where the case switch is connected but have not been able to find that pair of pins, since I have disconnected everything. Which pins?