Fans spinning, but computer not always booting

tmarkm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hi, I made a similar thread to this about a week ago, but got no replies. I've gone through the threads mentioned in the stickies above but I still can't seem to get past this problem.

Anyways, this is my first ever self-build, and I put it together about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Sometimes, I can get into it perfectly fine, and play games for hours on max settings without so much as a hiccup. Other days, I can't even get it to boot. When I hit the power button, the case, video card, CPU, and PSU fans spin up, and I can open up the DVD drive, but I get no video feed.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem without taking the whole thing apart again, which is the next thing I'm planning on doing if I can't figure it out sooner. I've checked my CPU, video card hard drive, and 2 different sets of RAM modules(not at the same time of course).

On reading through the threads mentioned in the stickies in this section, I did notice there's one motherboard standoff point that I didn't screw in, but that was because there isn't a hole in the case for that position, despite the case (Antec 300) saying it was suited for ATX standard motherboards. Could that be the reason I'm getting this inconsistency?

Components:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black edition, 3.2 gHz, using stock heatsink
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm
PSU: OCZ Modx-stream pro 700w
RAM: Initially used G-skill RipJaws 4gb(2x2) DDR3(2000 mHz), switched to Corsair Vengence 8gb(2x4) DDR3(1600)
Windows 7 Home premium, 64 bit
Case: Antec Three Hundred

I hope I was detailed enough for anyone reading this.
Any help will be very appreciated, thanks in advance.

tmarkm

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Apologies for the delayed response

I mapped out the mounts before I placed the board in, so I don't think that could be the case.

Actually now it seems that at random I'm getting a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with a stop message of 0x0000003b.
I did some research and from what I can gather this is caused by bad video card drivers. I don't know how much I can believe that since I've re-downloaded and re-installed the latest drivers at least 4 times from nvidia's site. Now my concern is that the card itself could be faulty. Anyone else think that may be the reason?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Every motherboard is different. You will have to look in the mobo manuel for CMOS and how its configured. Just follow the steps for "Resetting CMOS".