Status
Not open for further replies.

edgard409

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hey i have an i5 2500k and recently I have noticed that the temps for some reason where a bit off. When I look at the BIOS it says that my core temp is around mid 20's which it should be and then when I go to RealTemp it says that the temps are around mid 30's . Even if i have my cooler fans on full blast it still doesn't change. It has also done that with a few other programs as well. The cooler is a ThermalTake frio and I was not getting those temps before.

Solution
Hell push the voltage down to 1.275 :)

That is voltage heat you are seeing.

What board(did i miss it?)? This is from a Maximus Gene-z. Only 4.4(and a 2600k), but you get the idea 1.25 with LLC @ 75% so the voltage is just what I set it to in the bios. This is a short test as well
2600kprime95.png

Generally the bios reads a different temperature then the core sensors. 30's are all good.

The on chip sensors are very fast(they see a temperature change faster then software can even report it), but not accurate until higher temperatures anyway. They are more for throttling the cpu if it gets too hot and shutting it off to save it if it gets even hotter

How are the load temperatures? If they are fine, I would not worry about this.

Look at the difference. And in a 20c room i can not get a 17c cpu. I know its not the same cpu, just to show the board vs core temps. Also check out my random 89c I get. My 2600k shows 60 all the time from the board sensors(and 128 after I wake the computer from sleep)
idletempso.png

edgard409

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
When I run prime95 the temps stay around mid 50's at 3.3 but when I overclock to 4.5 it goes over 80. I just still find it kinda weird that before I was getting 25c at 3.3 on idle.

Thanks alot for the help

edgard409

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

even if i turn my cooler to max temps still say the same.

When you set it to run at 4.5, are you letting the board decide the voltage. Many boards go overkill.

Check the voltage at stock vs overclocked load. I have a feeling something is going on here with lots of extra voltage.

That cooler should keep your temperatures lower when overclocked as it was designed for the hotter 1366 cpus.

25 @ idle would be very hard unless your room temperatures are very low. For instance, my computers location is 20c and the idle(just playing some music with Winamp. and that is a 2600k idle with a CNPS Flex + 2 Blade Master fans) temperature is 32-35c.

With this said, my board's bios will still give me a temperature of 23-25c.

This brings me back to the point of how the board sees the temperature

Fans at full blast on idle do not change the temperatures because that cooler is already more then able to remove heat(even with low air flow). Try full blast at load and see how it does.

I am still betting on too much voltage.

I will get some prime numbers for you as well.

edgard409

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Heres what I am getting with 4.5 at idle
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/71874229.jpg/
This is with prime for like 5 minutes lol
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/45withprime.jpg/

Hell push the voltage down to 1.275 :)

That is voltage heat you are seeing.

What board(did i miss it?)? This is from a Maximus Gene-z. Only 4.4(and a 2600k), but you get the idea 1.25 with LLC @ 75% so the voltage is just what I set it to in the bios. This is a short test as well
2600kprime95.png

Solution

edgard409

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Thanks thats alot better. Board I'm using is an ASUS PZ68-V Pro/Gen3.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/45withprime.jpg/

You can slowly drop the voltage and see how low it will go(if you want any lower temps. I bet you are cooler then stock cooler at stock speeds :) ). All cpus have a different spot when they cant go any lower(at that point prime95 will fail).

It will take time and lots of prime.

What fan you have on that cooler(i assume stock? may have to pm, solved threads get locked soon after)?

Status
Not open for further replies.