Any way to edit the BIOS with no monitor?

le1274

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Earlier today I was fixing my old PC and I had to edit the boot sequence via BIOS to instal windows. Without thinking I pressed F5 to reset every setting to default, fix the sequence and reboot the computer. The problem now is that it won't detect the monitor. I suspect that the motherboard's default video setting is either onboard or agp and I need PCI-E. Reseting BIOS to default wont fix it. I need a way to put the video mode back to PCI-E mode. My motherboard is an Asus m2n-e.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

No, with the computer turned off. Never do any internal work on a PC with it on unless you don't care about frying the components. Removing the battery will reset the BIOS.

If there is no onboard jack, then there is no way the BIOS would default to onboard graphics since there are none. Also, the BIOS settings for default graphics output is for if there are multiple graphic cards.

As suggested earlier, remove the battery.

Boards with pci-e slots do not have AGP slots.

With the cord plugged in and the PC powered on?

Umm....really? Do you like getting electrocuted??

There is no onboard jack.

Then how could it be onboard video?

Any way to edit the BIOS with no monitor?

Can you drive a car without a steering wheel?

I've determined after reading your replies, that you should not be working on computers at all.

le1274

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

By having the computer turned on I meant it being on for 15 minutes without the battery. And from everything I've gathered yet I am pretty sure that reseting it to default won't solve the problem as the problem is it being default. I've tried two different GPU in the slot and two monitors.

Wolfshadw

Titan
@GeekApproved -

Boards with pci-e slots do not have AGP slots.

I think you're forgetting the old hybrid motherboards like the ASRock 939Dual-SATAII.

@le1274

Assuming you provided us with the correct motherboard model, I find it hard to believe that resetting the BIOS could have changed the default video setting as your motherboard does not have AGP or on-board video capabilities. It just doesn't make sense to have these settings as default when the motherboard doesn't even support them.

I'd agree with the others in that you need to remove the battery for 15 minutes (system powered off and unplugged).

-Wolf sends

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
can you tell us more about what happens when you boot up? does the PC actually power up and do you hear any BIOS error beeps?

is it remotely possible some cables or other components got knocked loose while you were doing repairs? and what exactly did you repair/change to the configuration? did you try undoing those changes to see if those contributed to the no video problem?

and I hate to ask, but is your monitor on or any pins in the monitor cable bent? that happens more often than you'd think.

turn it off .

unplug it

remove the battery for as long as it takes to make and drink two coffees and walk 4 miles .

le1274

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Alright I had the battery unplugged from the motherboard all day long. Just tried to boot it. Should it be beeping when it launch? Because it's not. The fans are moving, I can ear the HDD, GPU fan is turning, heatsink is working. The only strange thing is on the PSU, there 3 lights, 1 under +12v that is yellow, 1 under +5v that is red and one under +3.3v that is yellow. Does that mean anything?

Before turning it on, I made sure that everything was plugged correctly.

I havnt really added or moved anything in between when it was working and when it stopped. I was just in the bios, and after that reset, monitor stop working.

Edit: Would replacing the battery do anything? That computer was unplugged for at least a year. If so, is there a precise type of battery I have to buy?

Edit2: That red light under +5v behind the PSU just turned back to yellow.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
try forcing a BIOS reset by following the steps on page 2-19, section 2.6, in your MB's manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-E/e2830_m2n-e_sli.pdf

Just removing the CMOS battery may not be enough.

have you tried another monitor or hooking up the monitor through VGA, HDMI, or DVI instead (if available)? it's possible the GPU is going.

As for the CMOS battery - pick one up, they're only a few bucks. Just do a direct replacement - model number is printed on the battery. And as for the PSU LED indicators - that's specific to the PSU so it'll be hard to diagnose.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
then I doubt it's the bios settings. My next suggestion would be to troubleshoot from the monitor back to the GPU. Try the monitor on another PC/laptop, then swap the video cable, finally swap out the GPU. Worst case is a bad MB.

le1274

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I tried all of the above, monitor worked flawlessly on my other desktop. My 2nd monitor would get no signal, using different cables would get no signal.

Is the problem most likely coming from the motherboard?