Dvi to HDMI w/audio on LCD!

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I am not too sure if this is in the right section...
I have a p5e asus mobo running a ATI HD4850 on vista64.
It used to work VERY fine, now it doesn't....
I will tell you what I used to do.
I bought a DVI to HDMI w/audio 5$ adaptor on ebay, then plugged my LCD onto my GPU with an HDMI cable.
I would have to use "Catalyst control center" (ATI GPU software thingy) then I would go in "desktop & displays"
I could only have sound at one of the other station (computer, OR LCD)
So I when I would duplicate monitors, I would only have sound on my LCD, then if I wanted to go back on the computer, I would disable the LCD.
That worked just fine and I didn't mind the minor hassle...

now for some reason, it just doesn't work anymore!!!!! I still have image, but no sound! I tried picking the "make preferred" option on the LCD with no results...
I rebooted, unplugged and replugged the cables... nothing works!
I have made NO update, no changes...... the only thing that comes to my mind is that i unplugged the home theater on the LCD but that can't be the reason since I tested it right after, and would STILL have sound on the LCD speakers... for some reason, now i can only have sound on the computer :(
no nice when I wanna watch a movie with my girl :(

any ideas?
Tx in advance

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
wellll I guess i didn't try everything!
I still don't understand why it ain't working anymore, but I guess my Catalyst thingy was the one changing the windows sound option -> ATI HDMI Output

I tried switchin that manually and it works...
sigh weird computer world!

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
for SOME reason... it got "unstuck" so the previous method I was using is now working again, but i actually prefer switchin only the sound rather than the image AND sound...
much better

for those who would be interested...
i managed to find an answer to this by looking for "dvi to hdmi sound"

FwoGiZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I think the ATI series 3 and up all carry sound thru DVI... all you need is their small DVI to HDMI /sound adaptor and you're good to go!!
i just got a 7.2 muteki 1700W sound system ;) so eager to test it !!