Video polygons

ronnie_vanor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz Black Ed.
ASROCK N68-S3 UCC MBoard
4GB DDR2 1024 RAM
500W power ATX tower.
Am currently using XP SP3 DX11
and sad to say a ATA 160GB HDD MASTER (windows would not save desktop settings when using a 500GB SATA HDD MASTER).

When I play games like rFactor, Sacred II, and MSoft Flight SimX, I often get polygons flickering all over the screen.
I have dropped the games qualities down, but still happens after a while.
Have tried dropping the PCIE to 2x,4x,8x,etc. but runs the same as 16x.
Is my hardware having a compatibility problem ?
I am seriously thinking of upgrading my Mboard to use the same RAM and CPU with either
-NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI
-Asus Crosshair IV Formula
-Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
-Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7.
Am also thinking of upgrading GPU to
Nvidia GT450 2GB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 DX11

A little unsure as to what I should do...
I am a home recording musician, and I really stretch the processing power to achieve multi-track wave file and MIDI VST Plugins playback, record and render. The AMD, RAM and Mboard seems to handle the audio pretty well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
TIA
Ronnie

you dont mention what gpu you currently have? it sounds like overheating to me. make sure you have adequate ventillation in your case, a couple of exhaust fans. is the power supply your using the one that came with the case? if it is its probably a cheap piece of crap and is dying under load.

4745454b

Titan
Thinking the same thing. Either the GPU or CPU is having a heat or power issue. Are you reusing an old "500W" PSU? I'm also interested in your "XP SP3 DX11" Not likely, but if you downloaded some fake XP from the net who knows what they did to make it say DX11. Might explain the stuff your seeing. I do consider heat/power more likely however. (most likely is dying card.)

ronnie_vanor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

:hello: GPU is NVIDEA GeForce GTS450 1024MB GDDR5.
Since my post, I have upgraded the mutha to Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, and RAM to 16GB (4x4GB) - 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.
Using the same AMD Phenom II QUAD (Black Ed) 3.2 CPU from previous mutha.
Seems to run the same game well so far, though the machine has stalled on a few occasions since installing DUAL BOOT.
Master 0 - 500GB 7200 SATA Win 7 64bit (new)
Master 1 - 500GB 7200 SATA Win XP Pro 32bit ( identical HDD as Win7)
Slave 0 1TB 7200 SATA (storage)
Maybe a few teething problems 'till I get the updates and programs installed.
I will keep an eye on the Polygon Problem, if it continues to happen, I may have a faulty VID card.
It is still under warranty, but any advice on what to do, or what feature of the VID card I need to back off to prevent or
at least minimize the hindrance should it occur again, is greatly appreciated.
I also have a huge case fan in front of the HDD rack, and also purchased a new 520W power supply.
As I stated, I will see how it goes for a while on both OS.
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I had a feeling it might have been temp related.
Likely the old power supply was struggling too.
I apologize for not replying sooner, rebuild and re-install has taken a few precious days from me.
and some cash too I might add :cry:
Thanks again, and time will tell on this one.
Any further thoughts are most welcome.
Cheers.