Closed Solved

CPU temperature concern

Hi all,

I have recently built my first computer, and I am slightly concerned with my cpu temperature. I have an i7-950 with the stock fan. I am not overclocking it at all. I noticed I was getting temperatures up around 60 C sometimes in the low 70's while playing some of my games (namely mass effect 2) and my processor barely would be running more than 25%. I remembered slightly messing up attaching the fan when I originally attached it so, I decided to by some thermal paste and retry. I am pretty sure I did it right this time.

I started it back up shortly after, and I am currently idling at 37 C, which is about the same as it used to be. I also ran a 5 minute stress test using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility since it came with my mobo, and the temperature capped out at 81 C. I also just tryed booting up ME2 and I hit 71 C.

So what can I do to help cool this thing, cause I believe it has not gotten any better. Should I retry with the thermal paste, do I need an aftermarket cooler, or what? I know the i7 is supposed to run hot, but this seems like a little too hot to me, or am i wrong?

Thanks for the help! And let me know if you have any other questions.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about temperature concern
  1. Hello brtd90;

You're in good shape there. 37C @ idle and 81C @ very high load is reasonable with the stock cooler.
  2. brtd90 said:
    I also just tryed booting up ME2 and I hit 71 C.
    That's about as high as you want to see it go during extended gaming sessions on a regular basis.
  3. WR2 said:
    That's about as high as you want to see it go during extended gaming sessions on a regular basis.

Thanks WR2! I thought that was a bit high for just the start of the game. But if thats alright, I'm not gonna worry about it too much. Although I may get an aftermarker cooler at somepoint.

Thanks again.
  4. Ok. So I just tried playing mass effect again and I am hitting 78 C within about 2 minutes of game time. If 71 is as high as I want to hit, 78 C cant be good.
  5. What were the approx room temps when you played your game?
  6. I figured out what was wrong. Apparently I didnt have the one corner of the fan all the way in. So the connection wasn't quite right. But it's running great now. I haven't gone over 50 C. Thanks for the help WR2.
  7. Best answer
    Good job tracking that down.
  8. Best answer selected by brtd90.
  9. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Temperature