Advice on a new Gaming build

Damarius

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Im building a new rig (completely selling the old one and buying all new components), and came up with these finds. It been a while since I did research on whats new in the pc gaming world, as the last time I upgraded was for Crysis 1. Now im getting ready for BF3, and even tho Im not too sure of what to get, I think I might be pretty close with this new build I have in mind. I just need advice on reliability, price worthiness and performance on the components listed below. If you think I could change some stuff out and save some money, Id love to hear what you have to say. the build I have in mind is:

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 ATX Full Tower Case

MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB GPU

Corsair Professional Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 PSU

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Ram

Asus Sabertooth P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Mobo

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

(other components I have covered)

Buying all these from Newegg. If you know anywhere I can get them at a better price, please share. All together this will cost about $1200. After selling my current rig, Ill probably have to still pay about 600 to cover the rest.

zhihao50

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Sandybridge CPU are duel channel so either 2X4Gb or 4X4Gb would work better then the triple channel 3X4Gb.

I7-2600k seems like an overkill unless you got reason for using hyperthread. i5 2500K will do well in gaming.
Money saved can be invested in a SSD or better graphic card.

Otherwise the build looks solid. :p

ariscov

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Yeah best go with duel channel and get 8gigs. 12 gigs is quite overkill, hell, even 8 is overkill... 560 is a great card, and will do well ^.^ do you plan on overclocking? SLI?

When it comes to SSD, i personally dont recommend them q: but i hear other people have great times with them. I would rather get a fast HDD. (currently using 7200 1tb model). i5 2500k is still quad core, and overclocks really nicely. Just as above, unless you have a specific reason for hyperthreading, 2500k is better to go.

Your PSU, 750 should be fine. But if you plan on SLI+overclock it might be worth it to get the 850w version of what you have.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

Its also 80+ silver certified.

And your case, is an absolute monster. I love it! (my current case <3 )

Damarius

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks boys. Lets just say im trying to future-proof myself a little bit out of the norm. My last build I thought would last a good old time, with my q6600 and 8800gt in tow. But now I cant even play a host of new games on max settings. Im also being taught how to 3d model from a friend, so hyper threading does seem like a good option. Im also not much of an overclocker, Id rather buy top notch equipment and have the company pay for any items that go bad rather than me voiding the warranty and having to pay for it myself.

A few questions, as Ive been out of the game for a while; What are the advantages and disadvantages of getting an ssd? Can I say, run my operating system off of it, or say install and run my games off of it while saving all my saves and various programs to an hdd?I have 2 640gb hdds at the moment (one internal one external so no raid). How can I use a SSD to its maximum potential?

I might go sli in the future. How would that mobo stack up? Its not exactly old, but there are more solid mobos out there for i7s and Sli. I dont want to have to upgrade my mobo if i dont have to tho, that one is sexy.

Damarius

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

And thats actually a really nice psu (nice price too), cant believe I missed that. Thanks bro.

Damarius

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

The Twin Frozer 2 they had up on Newegg a while ago (was taken down yesterday i think) was the top rated 560ti card, had some of the best performance specs too. But Evga is next up so I might have to end up doing just that.

bwilliams83

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Good looking build man. I love my asus sabertooth mobo it is smoking hot and a breeze to navigate! Myself I have 16gb of ddr3 ram. It is overkill but I have it if i ever need it!!!