Signs of Dead VRAM?

tjc133

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I came back to my computer randomly today after going to eat some food to find it looking like this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/10032401.jpg/

I was really confused, and though maybe it was just a small issue. So, I restarted my computer. Everything was looking fine, until the Windows 7 login page came up like this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/10032401.jpg/

This is when I became concerned... I continued to restart my computer. After awhile, I started it in safe mode. Everything was fine in safe mode, but just to be sure I disabled my Geforce GTS 250 drivers. When I booted back up, everything was okay without the drivers. I tried updating the drivers, but it said they were already up to date.

So, I restarted my computer again. Same weird diagonal login screen abomination... Assuming the worst, it's dead video RAM; assuming not-the-worst, it's a problem with the brand new drivers nVidia released today.

Can I get your guys' expert opinion? I'd really appreciate it.

(Just a few specs)
CPU: Intel Core i5 3.2GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3 OCZ something, don't remember all of it.
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250 1GB VRAM

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Yikes, sorry I'm no expert but that seem to be artifacting. You should contact your manufacturer to see if they can replace it. You can always download MSI afterburner and underclock it a bit and see if it helps. That usually fixes it but this shouldn't happen. You're using a GTS 250 so I don't know if youre still under warranty. best of luck!

Its bricked, if you want a rock solid card then go for a 6850 or maybe a cheap gts 450 or a gtx550 ti. Why so you may ask when a gtx 460 seams good is because many are known to degrade and eventually fail over time. Are you able to purchase items on eBay? If you are able you will find many decent cards on the cheap there provided that you know how to shop but sometimes local shops can have great deals. Either than that it is newegg and amazon. Good luck with your new card.

As for your gts250 there is not much you can do besides throw it in the oven for a small chance of reviving it.

tjc133

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Well, apparently it's not my graphics card. I went out and bought a GTX550 TI, and the same thing happened. Same weird jagged screen.

Next idea? Is it motherboard? Connector? I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS