CPU Speed Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitfire328

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
hey, so my new gtx580 DCII came and I installed it. Prior to this my cpu showed normal speed of 3.4 ghz and turbo boost of 3.8 ghz. Now its shown as 3.3ghz and 3.7 ghz... almost no difference i know, but can anyone explain whats going on.

Btw, Gigabyte x58 mobo, corsair 650 W, i7 2600k and i was running on the cpu internal graphics prior to the new gtx580. also in bios it shows my BLCK as lower than original

Solution
With a corsair power supply, I think you are good. Just do NOT add a second one of those monsters.

I am saying, i have seen some interesting memory compatibilities as of late. If those sticks are not on the QVL list for the board, i would run them @ 1333 to see if it helps.

When you had video issues(starting and not making it to the bios), that would most like reset the bios to safe defaults.

what is the exact model of your board? each board has a different option. something like safe/turbo/extreme that may alter the base clock just that little bit.

Spitfire328

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Also I already reset mobo by pulling battery and it still boots with lower speeds

Spitfire328

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
hey, so my new gtx580 DCII came and I installed it. Prior to this my cpu showed normal speed of 3.4 ghz and turbo boost of 3.8 ghz. Now its shown as 3.3ghz and 3.7 ghz... almost no difference i know, but can anyone explain whats going on.

Btw, Gigabyte z68 mobo, corsair 650 W, i7 2600k and i was running on the cpu internal graphics prior to the new gtx580. also in bios it shows my BLCK as lower than original 100+ mhz

tried battery pull on mobo...still same. im also getting an error when i go into bios that says computer has recovered from boot errors do to overclock or voltage change

Can't be. X58 motherboards are LGA1366. i7-K is a different socket.

You never did the hammer mod?

Back on topic, the base clock is only 100(that may sound low) on a 2600K. Some boards may run it a small bit lower(but not much 1-2mhz and only with safe settings).

a cpu-z screen shot would help.

It looks to be right. I mean 1.6 idle(that is speedstep) is standard for that cpu.

The gigabyte app seems to indicate 3.4 stock and 3.8 turbo.

Your base clock is down 0.2mhz, but you should be able to adjust that in this bios(i doubt it will make a difference to overall speed my loosing 6 mhz @ the top end).

If it is different at load, can i get a load screen?

Spitfire328

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Well the base is set to 100.0 flat.....is there a way to lock it from varying?
And I know the performance will be of negligible diffence but I plan to overclock and want to make sure everything is working alright

And no it's identical at startup bios, and in bios i get an error message saying that the system has reset from overclocking or voltage changes. i havent OCed anything, but i did set the ram at 1600mhz (xmp 1)

Could the mobo have come with a tiny factory overclock setting and that crashed for some reason?

Does it say this on every boot?

I have only seen that message(well out side of overclocking too much) if i power on the system then power it off before it finishes posting.

This can happen if I leave a DVD in the drive and want it back with the computer off. So i just power it up, grab the dvd and power it off before the post is complete.

But if you are getting it EVERY time, you have something that is not quite stable and the board is restoring defaults to get it good to go. I would guess that maybe something is not set right for the memory.

Is that when it started to do this, when you changed the memory to XMP 1(XMP should set everything for you, but XMP profiles for a i7 920[older cpu and has a setting for higher voltages on the memory controller] may not be a good match for a 2600k)? I generally set it manually.

For a test, just set the memory to 1333 with standard timings(most likely 9-9-9-24) @ 1.5 volts.

If you have 4 sticks of memory, of memory, sometimes you need a bit more voltage(just a notch or 2 up), not NEVER over 1.65(some say 1.6).

What ram are you running anyway?

Spitfire328

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Well i have been doing that alot unfortunatelty (force restarts), sometimes not on purpose,could that cause damage?

And yes everytime so far (maybe not with a lower ram freq..)

Hm well this is a new board and i assume its configured for sandybridge but ill try standard memory profile and make sure volt is flat 1.5.. its corsair 2x4gb 99924 1600mhz rated

So youre saying that if the memory is failing due to a OC issue, the bios might downclock everything including CPU bclk for safety?

In general howevr, the clocks were different after I installed new GPU not after i changed memory clock to 1600mhz a few days prior .....machine was tottaly powerd off for new gtx580 and i put it in but had trouble getting the display to showanything...kept retrying boot and removing DVI .. and fianlly it just worked...now i assume it was this first sucessful boot where the system may have gone into some "safe configuration"...that card is massive with dual 8 pin connectors, can a 650W corsair handle it?

Status
Not open for further replies.