Sign in with
Your question

Computer Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2011 12:59:03 AM

I didn't really know where exactly to put this thread, but since it is mostly overheating during Starcraft II, I will put it here.

Computer Specs:

* Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core Mobile Processor
* 6GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Memory
* Two 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drives
* 17.3" WSXGA+ (1600x900) LED Backlit Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
* ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5650 Graphics With 1GB Memory

What exactly is the problem here? It is causing Starcraft II to lag and often freeze up the entire computer and forcing me to restart in the middle of online games where others are depending on me. It is frustrating to say the least.

I know these HP models have poor ventilation and an area where dust gets caught very easily, but what do I need to do to fix this and how much would it cost me? I'm too afraid to take apart the whole thing and clean out the fan or replace the heatsink.

There is a place down the street that I think would take a look at it, but I don't know how much that might cost and my wallet is home to a few moths...

Thanks for any help you can give!

More about : computer overheating

a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 2:03:58 AM

Buy a big ice pack to set it on when you play? Not alot of good cooling solutions for a laptop. It shouldn't be that hard to take the cover off and spray some canned air through the thing to dust it out, then maybe you could buy one of those laptop coolers that are like a tray with fans on it, although I don't really know how effective they are.

Another option would be to lower the settings in the game, or maybe even get something like MSI afterburner and downclock the card and reduce core voltage, but I don't know if that's even possible with a mobility 5650.

m
l
!