What's the point of XP's Visual Styles engine?

Why did Microsoft create a Visual Styles engine for Windows XP and
then lock it down so nobody can use it without hacking uxtheme.dll?
What's the point?
4 answers Last reply
More about what point visual styles engine

    I think he's asking why there aren't more themes so the dll doesn't have to
    be changed or using a 3rd party app.

    > I think he's asking why there aren't more themes so the dll doesn't have to
    > be changed or using a 3rd party app.

    Exactly.

    I know about StyleXP and the uxtheme patch, but it seems ridiculous to
    me that Microsoft would create a skinning engine for XP and then only
    offer one skin in three colors, with no officially sanctioned way to
    create or customize skins. You have to hack the OS or buy third-party
    software in order to exploit the feature.

    I just noticed the "More themes online..." selection in display
    properties, which, despite its name, does not take you to where you
    can find more themes online. Instead, it takes you to an ad page for
    the XP Plus Pack. I suppose the real reason themes are locked down is
    that Microsoft thinks the $hundreds you paid for XP wasn't enough.

    Yeap it is odd for sure.

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:02:37 GMT, Black Baptist <pray@the.church.com>
    wrote:

    >I think he's asking why there aren't more themes so the dll doesn't have to
    >be changed or using a 3rd party app.

    Don't you know already that M$ is notorious for Beta-Testing
    "features" on their customers?

    The Theme Engine is "capable" of doing lots of great things, but
    nobody said they were going to go and spend the time making it
    available to the end-user.

    ---Atreju---

Configuration Engine Microsoft Windows XP